Old 01-13-2014, 06:03 AM   #113
Rivet Master

1984 34' International
Toronto , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERTSUNRUS View Post
Hi, that 2014 Volkswagen Micro-bus should really tow great with the "2000 Horse power 2.0 L turbo charged four cylinder gas engine."

In Europe, towing a smaller trailer with a four cylinder engine is considered perfectly normal.

The new Golf diesel, for example, develops 280lbs of torque and just under 200hp, ample for many setups. Payload is 1220 lbs. I would not suggest towing a 10,000 lbs Classic with it, but a 22ft or perhaps even a 25ft should not present the owner with many issues. Oh, and it is reported to deliver up to 70mpg.

I have measured hp output at the wheel for my own vehicle. The highest I could get it was 148hp accelerating from a standing start up a sizable hill and you know how large my trailer is. You don't need crazy power to move your Airstream, especially if most of it isn't wasted lugging a heavy tow vehicle around.

Old 01-13-2014, 10:25 AM   #114
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
70 MPG is incredible. If you got 30 towing that would be awesome.
The 300 mentioned above should be great. Not sure what I will end up with but I will list my Excursion for sale before the gas prices go back up and see what I get.

AIR #005
Please visit our blogs and web pages:
OUR AIRSTREAM PASSION! BLOG
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
Our AIRSTREAM and TIN CAN TOURIST Rallys
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 10:27 AM   #115
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
in general what consderations are ther when adding a hitch and power plug to a car like the Jetta?
AIR #005
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
Old 01-13-2014, 10:41 AM   #116

2017 26' Flying Cloud
1976 Argosy 28
Alamo Heights , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALANSD View Post
70 MPG is incredible. If you got 30 towing that would be awesome.
The 300 mentioned above should be great. Not sure what I will end up with but I will list my Excursion for sale before the gas prices go back up and see what I get.
I'm guessing that 70 mpg is miles per Imperial gallon, but it's still impressive.

Zero Gravitas 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | Il Progetto 1976 Argosy 28 Center Bath | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 11:20 AM   #117
Rivet Master

1984 34' International
Toronto , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALANSD View Post
in general what consderations are ther when adding a hitch and power plug to a car like the Jetta?
Talk to Andrew. He's got first hand experience.
Old 01-13-2014, 04:19 PM   #118
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
will do. I hope I am not wearing out my welcome on this question but ..

what about an AUDI A6? Surprisingly affordable and gets some good reviews as a tow car elsewhere. My wife likes it and doesn't think of it as a grandma car.

""a downey reviewed a Audi A6 - 2.7 TDI Quattro aut. (132 Kw/177 bhp). Modelyear: june 2006 - january 2011) and a LMC Ambassador 560 RBD of 1689 kg.

The towing capability for this outfit is:
= 96%* = 101 km/u = 37%
very good tow car with this size caravan and more have been all over /netherlands/spain/switzerland/belgium/france/italy and so on and it has been 100% 5 star
AIR #005
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
Old 01-13-2014, 05:29 PM   #119
Rivet Master

1984 34' International
Toronto , Ontario
A friend of mine tows a medium sized speedboat with an A6 station wagon. He loves his - I'll ask how heavy his trailer is.
Old 01-13-2014, 06:02 PM   #120
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
great thanks.
AIR #005
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
Old 01-13-2014, 07:08 PM   #121
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
There was a guy at Canopener towing a Bambi with a Kia Borrego.
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 10:23 PM   #122
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERTSUNRUS View Post
Hi, that 2014 Volkswagen Micro-bus should really tow great with the "2000 Horse power 2.0 L turbo charged four cylinder gas engine."
Hi, I guess some of you missed it; The article mentioned a 2000 horse power 2.0 L turbo four. I think it had one too many "0's"

2005 Safari 25-B
"Le Petit Chateau Argent"
[ Small Silver Castle ]
2000 Navigator / 2014 F-150 Eco-Boost / Equal-i-zer / P-3
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 12:37 AM   #123
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
N/A , N/A
Quote:
Originally Posted by andreasduess View Post
In Europe, towing a smaller trailer with a four cylinder engine is considered perfectly normal.

The new Golf diesel, for example, develops 280lbs of torque and just under 200hp, ample for many setups. Payload is 1220 lbs. I would not suggest towing a 10,000 lbs Classic with it, but a 22ft or perhaps even a 25ft should not present the owner with many issues. Oh, and it is reported to deliver up to 70mpg.

I have measured hp output at the wheel for my own vehicle. The highest I could get it was 148hp accelerating from a standing start up a sizable hill and you know how large my trailer is. You don't need crazy power to move your Airstream, especially if most of it isn't wasted lugging a heavy tow vehicle around.
I don't want this thread to be distracted from it topic; However, I think some explanation is needed here, before any conclusions are drawn (we can have extended discussion on this in a separate/new thread):

1) European Airstreams/Caravans have a vastly different design. The Axles are more forward (closer to the the hitch), hence they have a significantly lower tongue weight -- this is critical for not exceeding the payload. They are also narrower/shorter/lighter.

2) European sedans/wagons/small SUVs are generally "beefier" than their North American counterparts, hence they have higher tow ratings.

3) The speed limit for towing Caravans in Europe is lower than in the US.

Combination of the above factors makes European sedans/wagons/small SUVs viable tow vehicles for European Airstreams/Caravans. This clearly is not applicable to the North American Airstreams/sedans/wagons/small SUVs.

As for the horsepower, I am assuming you measured it at the wheels. The auto manufacturers measure the HP at the crankshaft. Going from crankshaft to wheels some power is lost to friction, heat, etc. Hence an engine making 250 HP, per manufacturer, may have a max 200 HP at the wheels.

I would also be cautious with payload numbers (you mentioned Golf has 1220# payload). My friend has a Toyota Sienna with supposedly 1570# of payload. The sticker on B-pillar states a payload of 1160# -- more than 400# less than the payload specified in Toyota and other websites. BTW, the Sienna is an LE edition with no unusual accessories and the payload is less than my friend's 1/2 ton Ram pickup. My point is a 25 ft Airstream (where many users here say has a ~1200# tongue weight) will surely overload a Golf and most probably a Sienna, even if a quality WDH hitch is used. To show you that I do not always disagree with you I agree that the diesel Golf can tow a 16 ft Airstream.
Old 01-14-2014, 05:42 AM   #124
Rivet Master

1984 34' International
Toronto , Ontario
To answer this very quickly, and if you do want to go into this deeper, yes we should open another thread:

1. The design might be different, but weight is weight. A 3500lbs Airstream isn't any heavier than a 3500lbs Euro trailer. Tongue weight is affected by design, I agree, but then keep in mind that in Europe there is no weight distribution to offset and control some of that weight. In the end, I suspect it comes out pretty much even.

2. As somebody who grew up in Europe, I am not sure I agree. I've personally driven, amongst others, the Euro and the US versions of the Golf Gti, the Mercedes B-class (Canadian version), the Audi A4, the BMW X3 and the Mercedes GL350. They were pretty much identical. There might be slight differences under the hood, and certain engine options might not be available, but not enough to make them different cars.

3. Speed limit across most of the US is either 65mph or 75mph. The towing speed limit in Europe varies between 60mph and 80mph depending on setup and country, i.e pretty much the same.
Old 01-14-2014, 06:58 AM   #125
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
I have been reading and reading articles and posts all across the net about towing with cars and smaller SUV's. Not only does it look doable, it is being done regularly.
Boats and other large trailers are being towed by vehicles smaller than I would have expected.
My goal will be met by something a lot smaller than my present Excursion. A great vehicle and mostly trouble free over the 14 years it has been on the road. But still too big and gas hogging for me to pbe practical at this time.

I have a short list of potential vehicles, and enjoying studying up on them.
AIR #005
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
Old 01-14-2014, 07:10 AM   #126
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Nowhere , Somewhere
More pictures would be helpful as the original poster asked for. Love to see some of the euro combos. Jim