Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-09-2014, 08:37 AM   #81
Rivet Master

2008 27' International FB
Petaluma , California
Check out this 4HP rig. Plenty of low end torque and traction when you need it! Also watch for the mouse at :21

Watch horses pull a tanker truck out of snow
SuperTrouper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 08:58 AM   #82
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew T View Post
Just another way to go.

Andy
thanks a lot, I am open to sedans as well. Having 4 cars in the family already makes the dad mobile and tow machine a big purchase.
AIR #005
Please visit our blogs and web pages:
OUR AIRSTREAM PASSION! BLOG
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
retired!
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 02:50 PM   #83
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
I may have found a super deal on a Toyota Tacoma double cab V6 with tow set up .
Better mileage and alittle smaller than the Excursion. Sure it won't tow as well,,,but it could fit my needs
AIR #005
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
retired!
Old 01-10-2014, 07:29 PM   #84
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
K.C. , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALANSD View Post
I may have found a super deal on a Toyota Tacoma double cab V6 with tow set up .
Better mileage and alittle smaller than the Excursion. Sure it won't tow as well,,,but it could fit my needs
I have followed this thread with some interest, but have stayed out of commenting because I did not want to cloud the issue since you stated "small" tow vehicle. Also, because I am not towing an A/S, but a SOB instead.

However, now that you have thrown the idea of the Taco into the mix, I will say that I am towing my trailer with "the sister vehicle" to the Taco. My Frontier works well for towing my 19' sub-4000 pound trailer.

It and a Taco are not really what I would call "small" though. Expect about 17 to 20 mpg out of a Taco in normal daily driving, and around 11 to 14....maybe 15 on occasion, towing something like your A/S.
gmw photos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 04:00 AM   #85
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

2019 27' Tommy Bahama
London , Ontario
I Like the Tacoma, they still have a relatively low center of gravity and the suspension is firmer than most full size trucks. You will find the handling much more direct than the Excursion.

If the Tacoma is going to need new tires you can improve it quite a bit with a slightly different size. They have been built with a variety of sizes but if you post or email me the current size I can give you some suggestions.

What are the 4 sedans you already own?

Andrew T

"One test is worth a thousand expert opinions."
Tex Johnston, Boeing 707 test pilot
Andrew T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 06:56 AM   #86
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
Don't remember how many, but it was just a few years back the rear suspension was so soft on the Tacomas that people were having trouble towing little 17' Casitas with them. At that time, Toyota would install a different rear spring pack to solve the problem.
Old 01-11-2014, 07:09 AM   #87
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
the Tacoma deal fell through, I wasn't quick enough on the trigger. So where I am now..
- My Exc runs great and has 157K on it. Being its paid for and costs little to maintain, and has new tires, it might make sense to keep on using it. Seems I might gain a bit in fuel mileage with some of these choices, but the overall extra cost may not be justified.
I really still like the Jetta idea, just not ready financially to make that leap, as I woudl need a somewhat newer model from all I have read.
The Touareg looks like a great choice, but suffers from lot of mechanical issues, though I take a lot of online "reviews" from owners with a grain of salt having spent a lot of my life in the automobile business.
-Chrysler 300 looks great, just not my style at the moment.
- Dodge Magnum is very cool
- I like the newer Ford Explorer but need a very late model to gain gas savings.
- The Saturn sedan looks good and they are affordable. I worked for Saturn in the 1990s so I have some affinity for them.
- Disaapointed in the Jeeps, mileage wise. The LIberty may not be a good choice, I do like Grand Cherokee and have owned 2 but the mileage is no great pick up.

Guess I am on hold, still looking, reading and considering. Somehting will come along meanwhile I am driving the EXC. Open to other ideas and considerations. This has been interesting so far, and we have managed to stay away from the highly opinionated anti smaller vehicle posts.
AIR #005
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
retired!
Old 01-11-2014, 07:45 AM   #88
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
Personally I would prefer a large tow vehicle. But I think a Toyota FJ cruiser or jeep wrangler would suit my needs. Under 4000 pound trailer and a driver who drives like an old man, under 65 mph. If my current tow vehicle dies before I do, I may look into those options. Any more pictures of FJ orWrangler towing? Jim
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 08:09 AM   #89
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
K.C. , Missouri
On the subject of what is small, midsize and large, let me throw this thought out there regarding the Frontier/Tacoma.
Back in the 70's I had a Buick Centurion. So called full size car, that most folks would remember as a "big" car. 455CI V8. In reality, the car had just over a 120" wheelbase, and weighed about 4300 pounds.
Step forward to my 2006 Frontier. 127" WB, and weighs almost 4700 pounds. So I will leave it to each person to decide in their own mind where the Frontier/Tacoma size trucks fit into size category.
Someone mentioned the soft rear suspension of the Tacoma a few years ago. That was one of the reasons I chose the Frontier ( the rear suspension seemed a little firmer ). At the time, I drove both brands, and decided I liked the "feel of handling" better in the Nissan. Also the Frontier has disk brakes on the rear, the Taco had drums back there.
The Nissan also make a little more power and torque than the Toyota, but the power diff was not really enough by itself to make it a deal maker or breaker.

Speaking of the FJ, there is a guy on a few of the forums that is using one to tow a Escape FG trailer, and he says it does well pulling the trailer. He also pulls the same trailer with a Hemi 1500 truck, and even comparing the two tow vehicles, gives the FJ high marks.
If you are one that believes in the idea that very short wheelbase vehicles do not make good towing platforms, then the FJ may not be for you.
gmw photos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 08:33 AM   #90
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
St. Catharines , South Western Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by zigzagguzzi View Post
Any more pictures of FJ orWrangler towing? Jim
Old 01-11-2014, 10:34 AM   #91
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
Thanks, jim
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 11:32 AM   #92
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

2019 27' Tommy Bahama
London , Ontario
Friends we travel with towed their 25 International for a few years with a 4 door Rubicon with the 6 speed manual. I drove it several times, it performed quite well and handled suprisingly stable. The Rubicon has LT tires and pretty firm shocks and with the 4 door model the wheelbase to overhang ratio is very good.

Andrew T
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Copy of quebec379 (Medium).JPG
Views:	797
Size:	121.2 KB
ID:	203358  

"One test is worth a thousand expert opinions."
Tex Johnston, Boeing 707 test pilot
Andrew T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 12:20 PM   #93
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Saint Petersburg , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALANSD View Post
here is a photo I came across...Its a Golf TDI ..smaller than the Jetta.
This trailer weighs 3500lbs. mine weighs 4000 or so.

Wait! What? You mean I could tow an Airstream with my VW Golf TDI? Wonder if next time I should get the TDI with an Automatic instead of a 6-speed manual.....

Hmmmmm.......
crazeevw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 12:40 PM   #94
2 Rivet Member

2013 22' FB Sport
Wichita , Kansas
We tow our 22' sport with an FJ cruiser.
tallen5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 12:43 PM   #95
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
Love those,,wish I could have one but not right now
AIR #005
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
retired!
Old 01-11-2014, 12:44 PM   #96
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazeevw View Post
Wait! What? You mean I could tow an Airstream with my VW Golf TDI? Wonder if next time I should get the TDI with an Automatic instead of a 6-speed manual.....

Hmmmmm.......
truly one of the most popular tow vehicles in Europe. Lots of photos and info on this.
AIR #005
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
retired!
Old 01-11-2014, 12:46 PM   #97
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew T View Post
Friends we travel with towed their 25 International for a few years with a 4 door Rubicon with the 6 speed manual. I drove it several times, it performed quite well and handled suprisingly stable. The Rubicon has LT tires and pretty firm shocks and with the 4 door model the wheelbase to overhang ratio is very good.

Andrew T

I like that Jeep a lot. Looks great and Jeeps are fun.
AIR #005
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
retired!
Old 01-11-2014, 01:47 PM   #98
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
I have seen Dodge Chargers from 2006 - 2008 that are affordable and have under 100,000 miles. IS the 2.7 ltr 6 cylinder sufficient for towing?
AIR #005
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
retired!
Old 01-11-2014, 02:06 PM   #99
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
North Vancouver , British Columbia
What other cars do you already own (I think you said there are 4)? Are any of them candidates for towing?
cameront120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 04:05 PM   #100
Rivet Master

1960 33' Custom
Athens , Georgia
I love the Jeep picture, my wife has a similar (Sahara, Unlimited, Auto, non Tow pack) 2013 model and it's a fun vehicle but I wouldn't relish the thought of towing much with it. If that picture is a few years old it would have probably been a much lower powered version and it must have crawled up hills. I'm curious to see what the new diesel version might be capable of but won't get might hopes set too high. Interestingly we drove both our Jeep and Tundra across country last year at the same time and at 110 kmph ish they used the same amount of gas at each fill up.