Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-18-2015, 02:18 PM   #41
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
We really should be using it any time we are towing, but I forget. And, I don't like that you have to turn it on every time you start the engine. Why can't the stupid computer leave it like you had it set? Stupid computers...........
Old 04-18-2015, 02:56 PM   #42
BAB
Rivet Master

2015 30' Classic
2012 28' International
Greensboro , North Carolina
Perhaps I'm naive, but after reading all the stuff in the owner's manual when I got my truck, I made an assumption that there were some engineers involved in the design of my RAM (who know much more about the dynamics of towing than I do), that justified the cost involved in both an integrated braking system (and the ability to select electric/electric over hydraulic, etc) as well as a variation in transmission shift points -- and who knows what else -- into the innards of my truck. So, when I tow my Airstream I push the Tow/Haul button before I put it in drive. AND, depending on the terrain, I also push the exhaust brake button. While this may not work for everyone, I'm at 21,000 miles with a '14 truck. 19,210 of those miles are towing -- I know, because the truck keeps track of that IF the "Tow/Haul" button has been selected. I LOVE my Ram 2500 and that big honking' Cummins!
ProPride 3P
AIR# 58452
WBCCI # 3430-Unit 21
BAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2015, 04:04 PM   #43
Full Time Adventurer

2007 27' International CCD FB
Nomadic , USA
I just love when all the Ford owners insert their opinion about what tow haul does on their truck, even though we're discussing Ram's.

Discussing Hemi's, because it's different for the 2500's. Tow/Haul doesn't just deactivate the MDS, but alters shift points. Motortrend called it the closest thing to a "Sport Mode" in a truck. As I can assure you from experience, Ford & Chevy's tow hauls do not have the same radical changes the Ram's does. Ram actually loads a different fuel curve and adjusts torque management in the transmissions along with shift points which shift firmer and hold longer. Also, engine braking, yeah they Hemi half ton does engine braking too.
Old 04-18-2015, 04:25 PM   #44
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoldAdventure View Post
Also, engine braking, yeah they Hemi half ton does engine braking too.
Gasoline engines brake well by nature because they have a throttle butterfly, but the engine brake function has to be added to a Diesel. Different animal.
Old 04-18-2015, 04:46 PM   #45
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
I agree - hate tow haul mode on when driving on flat land cruising

I just this weeks drove from Birmingham to Destin In plain non tow/haul and watched trans temp - stayed just fine

In mountains I cut it on

I also cut it on when anticipating going from highways speeds to a stop ahead

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums

PharmGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2015, 06:51 PM   #46
Rivet Master

1995 30' Excella
Bowie , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoldAdventure View Post
I just love when all the Ford owners insert their opinion about what tow haul does on their truck, even though we're discussing Ram's.
I only see one, and that was back in February...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveH View Post
We really should be using it any time we are towing, but I forget. And, I don't like that you have to turn it on every time you start the engine. Why can't the stupid computer leave it like you had it set? Stupid computers...........
It seems to me that the computer could sense, based on engine load, whether tow/haul is necessary and engage it automatically. I've forgotten it, too.

Sold but not forgotten: 1991 Airstream B190
Sold: 2006 F-250 6.0L Powerstroke Supercab
Skater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 03:48 AM   #47
Rivet Master

2014 27' Flying Cloud
Wenatchee , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by BAB View Post
... I made an assumption that there were some engineers involved in the design of my RAM (who know much more about the dynamics of towing than I do), that justified the cost involved in both an integrated braking system (and the ability to select electric/electric over hydraulic, etc) as well as a variation in transmission shift points -- and who knows what else -- into the innards of my truck. So, when I tow my Airstream I push the Tow/Haul button before I put it in drive. AND, depending on the terrain, I also push the exhaust brake button. While this may not work for everyone, I'm at 21,000 miles with a '14 truck. 19,210 of those miles are towing -- I know, because the truck keeps track of that IF the "Tow/Haul" button has been selected. I LOVE my Ram 2500 and that big honking' Cummins!
+1 Always use Tow/Haul Mode when towing and I use my exhaust brake all the time unless it's icy. We are very happy with our Ram/Cummins.
WBCCI #7180
21Airstream is offline   Reply With Quote