Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 02-21-2016, 10:33 AM   #29
Rivet Master
 
tjdonahoe's Avatar
 
2013 31' Classic
billings , Montana
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 1,842
I have already tried the 1/2 ton pickups, I like the 3/4 diesels, they handle the load a lot easier , 1500 rpm at 63 mph
__________________

__________________
tjdonahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 11:13 AM   #30
Rivet Master
 
J. Morgan's Avatar

 
1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 5,040
Images: 11
I don't consider the tongue weight of an Airstream much of a load.

But that is me.

Last trip home from NM to AR I had my toolbox in the back of my 1/2 ton as well as the tongue load. I was quite satisfied with the way it performed.

I am not going to say I drove the speed limit across Texas, but I might have....


Brevi tempore!
__________________

__________________
The fact that I am opinionated does not presuppose that I am wrong......

J. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 11:18 AM   #31
Rivet Master
 
J. Morgan's Avatar

 
1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 5,040
Images: 11
The mechanical ability of all truck brakes is mitigated (and therefore largely equalized) by the antilock brake system. Stopping a modern vehicle has more to do with weight and the ability of the tires to transfer friction to the roadway.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuco View Post
Using stopping distance to determine the work done by the brakes requires us to first determine the Kinetic Energy of the vehicles then divide that number by distance traveled. This will give us the energy (in Joules) that each braking system does per foot of stopping distance.



E =(1/2 mv^2)/d



After calculating this, only the Jeep GC was in shouting distance of the worst 3/4 ton truck I looked at. So is this a fact or an untruth?




Brevi tempore!
__________________
The fact that I am opinionated does not presuppose that I am wrong......

J. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 11:30 AM   #32
Rivet Master
 
Vintage Kin Owner
N/A , N/A
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 995
Images: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuco View Post
Using stopping distance to determine the work done by the brakes requires us to first determine the Kinetic Energy of the vehicles then divide that number by distance traveled. This will give us the energy (in Joules) that each braking system does per foot of stopping distance.

E =(1/2 mv^2)/d

After calculating this, only the Jeep GC was in shouting distance of the worst 3/4 ton truck I looked at. So is this a fact or an untruth?
Welcome to the fact-free zone, where gut feeling and hearsay rules.
__________________
rostam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 11:48 AM   #33
Rivet Master
 
J. Morgan's Avatar

 
1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 5,040
Images: 11
Powertrain Lessons

All real "science" is built on practical experience and observation.

It is certain that there is bias for the application of simple observation and experience, but likewise there is bias against simple observation and experience.

Brevi tempore!
__________________
The fact that I am opinionated does not presuppose that I am wrong......

J. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 11:57 AM   #34
Rivet Master
 
J. Morgan's Avatar

 
1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 5,040
Images: 11
Powertrain Lessons

Engineered;


Name:   ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1456077409.272354.jpg
Views: 108
Size:  24.7 KB

Experience;

http://youtu.be/nFzu6CNtqec

Both are good, and both have their place.

Frankly, those who discount experience as meaningless engage in a kind of arrogance that incites disdain.

#JustSayin...


Brevi tempore!
__________________
The fact that I am opinionated does not presuppose that I am wrong......

J. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 01:48 PM   #35
jcl
Rivet Master
 
Currently Looking...
Vancouver , British Columbia
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 1,045
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew T View Post
Today brakes on a 1/2 ton are larger for the weight they handle than they are on 3/4's.
That was the original quote.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuco View Post
From statements like this, one would assume that 1/2 ton and SUV brakes are better than 3/4 and 1 ton trucks. Why is this trotted out as a fact?
Only better in terms of performance for the vehicle they are installed on. Note the reference to the weight they handle. You are constructing a straw man that says that 1/2 ton brakes are better than 3/4 ton brakes. That wasn't the claim. 3/4 ton brakes have to be more powerful to handle the increased weight of the 3/4 ton vehicle (for the same resulting braking performance). They end up not performing as well, as evidenced by the stopping distances. But they make up some of the difference resulting from the increased vehicle weight, just not all of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcl View Post
If you doubt that fact, a quick way to check it would be to look at the vehicle stopping distances from 60 mph.
This quick check considers the weight that each brake (1/2 ton or 3/4 ton) is being asked to stop (leaving aside tires, reaction times, etc, for now)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuco View Post
Using stopping distance to determine the work done by the brakes requires us to first determine the Kinetic Energy of the vehicles then divide that number by distance traveled. This will give us the energy (in Joules) that each braking system does per foot of stopping distance.

E =(1/2 mv^2)/d

After calculating this, only the Jeep GC was in shouting distance of the worst 3/4 ton truck I looked at. So is this a fact or an untruth?
You are suggesting that larger vehicles have more powerful brakes. Agreed. A semi has more braking power than a half ton as well. Not sure why that matters though.

Jeff
__________________
jcl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 09:10 PM   #36
3 Rivet Member
 
Tuco's Avatar
 
1988 32' Excella
Ojai , California
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 189
Images: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcl View Post
That was the original quote.



Only better in terms of performance for the vehicle they are installed on. Note the reference to the weight they handle. You are constructing a straw man that says that 1/2 ton brakes are better than 3/4 ton brakes. That wasn't the claim. 3/4 ton brakes have to be more powerful to handle the increased weight of the 3/4 ton vehicle (for the same resulting braking performance). They end up not performing as well, as evidenced by the stopping distances. But they make up some of the difference resulting from the increased vehicle weight, just not all of it.



This quick check considers the weight that each brake (1/2 ton or 3/4 ton) is being asked to stop (leaving aside tires, reaction times, etc, for now)



You are suggesting that larger vehicles have more powerful brakes. Agreed. A semi has more braking power than a half ton as well. Not sure why that matters though.

Jeff
Jeff, it is far from a straw man to interpret Andy's post as I did. Please note post 15 of this thread.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f238...-146333-2.html

This isn't the first time and probably won't be the last that a statement like this is made. I do have to wonder where this person got the idea from though. I don't recall a post where a "truck crowd" person stated his brakes were better than a semi's. If you have a link to that post it would be appreciated. If doing more with less is the best answer to towing an AS, then why all the smoke and mirrors to get the point across? The concept of doing more with less fits the needs of many on here, but please give them straight answers.
__________________
Dave & MJ
1988 32' Excella 1000 (Beauty)
1999 White Dodge SLT Laramie 3500 Dually, 4x4, 5spd, 5.9 CTD 245k+ (The Beast)
Tuco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 09:38 PM   #37
4 Rivet Member
 
2017 26' Flying Cloud
Granbury , Texas
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 408
We have a Platium Expedition EL 4x2 Eco Boost with heavy trailer tow package and couldn't be happier. We have towed our Airstream with no issues and got great fuel mileage. We have a new 28ft Pendleton coming in a month and plan to hook it to the expedition and go. Get you a good equalizer hitch and all is good. The eco boost has more than enough power to handle any Airstream built today. The built in brake controller works great too. We couldn't be happier.

Oh, by the way...we had a F250 diesel prior. We like the ride and comfort of the SUV much better. it also makes for a better everyday vehicle. You will be surprised what you can get in the back of it with the seats laid down.

Only option we didn't get was the air suspension. With the equilizer hitch they recommend you turn it off anyway. Iv'e heard good and bad reviews so we just got the standard which rides like a dream.
__________________
cabinetmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 10:01 PM   #38
Rivet Master
 
kscherzi's Avatar
 
2013 27' FB International
El Dorado Hills , California
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 1,136
Images: 24
I tow my 27FB with an Expedition. An older model without with a regular V8, less powerful than the ecoboost. Use and Equal-i-zer hitch. No complaints.
__________________
kscherzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 08:15 AM   #39
Rivet Master
 
tjdonahoe's Avatar
 
2013 31' Classic
billings , Montana
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 1,842
With the heavier trailers the 3/4 ton pickups sure work better, our 31' classic weighs about 9000 lbs loaded, been there and done that, big load , big truck..
__________________

__________________
tjdonahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Hard lessons to learn..... Silvertwinkie Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches 6 09-19-2007 02:23 PM
Inteli-Power install in 78 Excella Lessons Learned ALTE797 Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar 8 04-12-2007 08:36 AM
The Flat Tire Fixed! and lessons learned thecatsandi Tires 28 12-29-2006 07:55 PM
Pullrite owners--lessons learned markparker22 Hitches, Couplers & Balls 10 04-17-2005 11:57 PM
Life's lessons FrankR Off Topic Forum 2 08-05-2002 09:36 AM


Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:21 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Airstream is a registered trademark of Airstream Inc. All rights reserved. Airstream trademark used under license to Social Knowledge LLC.