Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-16-2018, 09:12 AM   #21
3 Rivet Member

2011 20' Flying Cloud
Lemont , Illinois
It might be worthwhile to purchase a tow vehicle suitable for the trailer, then have your spouse drive separately with half of the family in another vehicle.

That way you wouldn't need a giant, expensive tow vehicle that probably wouldn't make for a good everyday driver when not towing.

Also, the other vehicle would come in very handy in the event of a breakdown on the road.

No matter how well everyone gets along, it might make sense to split up the group to avoid overexposure.

Glenn
Glenn T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 09:19 AM   #22
Rivet Master

2018 28' International
Fayetteville , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barretta2 View Post
You might also look at the 2018 Ford Expedition. Completely re-designed for towing this year, has amazing muscle, great comfort, and seats 7 very comfortably—-8 would be a real squeeze, however.
I would probably also second the suggestion to look at the Suburban.
I just traded up from a 2016 Expedition to an F250 Diesel. The issue is payload. The Expy was 1319 lbs. with a tongue weight of 961 lbs, and my wife and I and two cats, we were at the limit. With 8 passengers, you need much more payload than any SUV currently on the new truck market has.

Suggest you consider using two vehicles.
brick
brick1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 02:23 PM   #23
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

2019 27' Tommy Bahama
London , Ontario
How most of our customers towed 1982 34's in the 80's. This shot is the top of a pass on the Blue Ridge in Smokey Mountain National Park.

240 torque, 155 Horse Power and they went everywhere with no drama.

Andy
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	82 Caprice FECR.png
Views:	85
Size:	1.81 MB
ID:	314181  

"One test is worth a thousand expert opinions."
Tex Johnston, Boeing 707 test pilot
Andrew T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 02:30 PM   #24
Dazed and Confused

Currently Looking...
1983 31' Airstream310
Hillsburgh , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew T View Post
How most of our customers towed 1982 34's in the 80's. This shot is the top of a pass on the Blue Ridge in Smokey Mountain National Park.

240 torque, 155 Horse Power and they went everywhere with no drama.

Andy
Andy, you had me right up until I zoomed in on the picture to see she was wearing high heels (well, at least high heels by today's standards).

You're right through, people forget Airstream trailers, including tai-axles were towed along by vehicles in an era before trucks. Trucks were uncomfortable, rough riding, cramped and loud compared to a Buick Roadmaster or Caprice Classic wagon.

Cheers
Sidekick Tony

“It’s a recession when your neighbor loses his job; it’s a depression when you lose your own.” "Harry S Truman"
Isuzusweet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 06:03 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2018 28' International
Fayetteville , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isuzusweet View Post
Andy, you had me right up until I zoomed in on the picture to see she was wearing high heels (well, at least high heels by today's standards).

You're right through, people forget Airstream trailers, including tai-axles were towed along by vehicles in an era before trucks. Trucks were uncomfortable, rough riding, cramped and loud compared to a Buick Roadmaster or Caprice Classic wagon.

Cheers
Sidekick Tony

Back then, cars were body on frame. But still no comparison to todays trucks and SUV’s for towing performance.
brick
brick1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 08:30 AM   #26
2 Rivet Member

2013 23' Flying Cloud
Naples , Florida
Brick1: Just FYI, the 2018 Expedition has a payload of about 1800 lbs. Plus big power and comfort. You just need a PhD to understand all the gizmos and electronic assists. Fantastic TV.
Barretta2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 09:44 AM   #27
1 Rivet Member

1973 Argosy 26
Bloomington , Indiana
Eight passengers leaves you at most, three choices

The 3/4 ton or 1 ton Excursions or suburbans might be the best idea. Four door pickup trucks aren't going to be enough for eight passengers.

A second option is a new or used 8+ passenger one ton van, likely an E350 Ford. I do not recommend a 15-passenger, even though on the surface, it looks like more room-- it's just TOO long. Your turning radius would be measured in miles.

And as mentioned up-thread, please consider two vehicles if you can afford them. The tow vehicle would be a long-bed diesel pickup (F-250, F-350, Dodge 2500/3500, etc), perhaps a four-door. The other could be something you already own.

The Toyotas look good, but at your GVW, probably not an option and would also need anti-sway devices installed, even though you have a tri-axle trailer. This is because of the loading of the rear wheels on the truck, which if you do the math, doesn't safely work.

We use a four door F-350, an ancient one, but we don't have your children, just fur children.

Good luck!
hendy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 09:46 AM   #28
2 Rivet Member

1996 30' Limited
1990 34.5' Airstream 345
santa rosa , California
2500 suburban or ford excersion are 3/4 ton
tojimmiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 10:06 AM   #29
2 Rivet Member

2013 27' FB International
Mandeville , Louisiana
Duraburb

Quote:
Originally Posted by moosetags View Post
Welcome to the Forums. We're glad to have you with us. That's a tall order. About the only vehicle that can adequately hand eight passengers is a Suburban. You probably will need a 3/4 vehicle to handle the passenger payload plus the 10,000 pound Airstream. Chevrolet has not made a 2500 Suburban for several years. You may be able to find a good used one.

Please keep us posted on your progress.

Brian
I have a 2007 suburban 2500, 4 WD, that’s been retrofitted with a 2009, 2500 Sierra with the 6.6 Duramax engine. And the Allison transmission. It has the engine chip without the def and emission systems. I’m getting 15mpg while towing and 17-19 without towing. 37 gallon tank and seats 8, with ample cargo space in the back. I tow a 27Fb sterling, which weighs empty at 7400 pounds. Pulls it like it’s. It even there. Look online and they are selling for the mid $40’s. Great truck.
Tcitruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 10:16 AM   #30
2 Rivet Member

1987 29' Sovereign
Huntsville , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by acfackrell View Post
Hi Air Forum world, happy to join you! My wife and I just bought a 1982 Excella 34' tri-axle (don't even know if I said that model correctly...) We can't wait to restore it to its prior glory, but we need a new vehicle to tow it. The local airstream dealer told me "don't use anything less than a 3/4 ton diesel." The wrinkle: we have six kids and need seats for everyone. Does such a vehicle exist that will comfortably tow my trailer and seat my family?? Do I really need a 3/4 ton? Thank you all!!
As you can tell by then # of reply's there isn't a clear winner, best to wait till you have restored AS and then weigh to see what TV you will need. Full size vans with 3/4 or 1T capacity would probably suffice. Diesel's were once the right choice, however with the change in pollution restrictions and high initial cost and additional fuel cost many are looking elsewhere. On the street side of your AS there should be a data plate that tells you what the maximum individual axles are rated to carry. This will give you a bench mark for what your AS is rated to carry when fully loaded.
Airstream87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 10:52 AM   #31
1977 31' Excella 500

1977 31' Excella 500
Dallas , Texas
Ford excursion. Yes older 7.3 turbo

There is a perfect tow vehicle for you and it is affordable, powerful, relatively fuel efficient and great 3/4 ton truck frame. IT IS A FORD EXCURSION. a suburban is next in line but the 7.3 turbo diesel is amazing. Oil field hot shot haulers love that ford engine. Its your truck and great ones are out there.
Jack Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 12:01 PM   #32
2 Rivet Member

2008 19' Safari SE
Cary , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadrick5 View Post
No you do not need an oversized 3/4 ton diesel to travel. Diesels have a premium purchase price, premium fuel price and a premium maintenance price. Seriously not worth the ability to climb an 8% grade at full speed and engine brake down the other side. Look at the Toyota Sequoia or Tundra and you will find a match that won't break.
No offense, but this is a JOKE.

One look at the payload on a Tundra (crew cabs are normally 1,100-1,200 lbs) and you'll realize once you load it with people, there is not enough payload left for a garden trailer. Don't make this mistake.

Like everyone else says, go with at least a 3/4 ton. Even then, check the payload sticker on the door to make sure it will handle your load and tongue weight. Some 3/4 tons will limit you to 2000 lbs payload. From this subtract occupants and any other gear you carry. That will leave you with a number you can dedicate to tongue weight.

Out of preference, I don't like to carry the maximum amount of weight a vehicle is designed for. I have never regretted having a little extra capacity when towing.
2008AS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 01:46 PM   #33
Rivet Master

2017 28' International
Jim Falls , Wisconsin
I have 5 kids. Thankfully they are all grown so I don't have to think about what kind of TV I would need. But I think the best suggestion is a separate tow vehicle and a car driving behind you. 1. You can get a fairly inexpensive used 3/4 ton gas pickup to tow the AS. And since you wouldn't be using it all the time wouldn't have to worry about the daily driving experience. I think a diesel would be overkill. A 3/4 ton gas has a towing capacity of over 12,000lbs. And if you get a gas your payload can be about 3,000lbs. 2. I assume you already have a car that would work. So no purchase needed.

When the kids were young it didn't take much packing. But as they got older it was just more stuff. We barely fit into a van. And when we went on vacation we put stuff on the roof.

When you think about bikes, etc that you will want to take along another car would be really helpful.

I know it's fun to be all together, but to a limit.
Daquenzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 09:07 PM   #34

1965 30' Sovereign
Edwardsville , Illinois
tow vehicle

I have to agree with "Wildhorses" post We have a 1966 international sovereign 31 ft, and I have a 1998 15 passenger Ford E350 1 ton van with a 5.4 liter (330 cu inch) Triton Engine. It pulls the A/S with no problems. It's also great for carrying lots of kids and their extra stuff. Because Ford discontinued this series in favor of their wimpy Eurovan. Currently searching a replacement Van, possible a 2014 Ford /Chevy or GMC Handicap high roof extended van as a replacement for the 1998. Not that I need a handicap van I just like the idea of the tall interior, and possible conversion into a day camper for short trips from A/S base camp, while on extended vacations. It also gives you a couple of extra bed for the older kids
Duckwdf1 is offline   Reply With Quote