Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-01-2017, 02:35 PM   #1
Dazed and Confused

Currently Looking...
1983 31' Airstream310
Hillsburgh , Ontario
Maybe Eco friendly, but not wallet friendly

Okay, the rumour mill has been quietly churning away for a few years now on problems that Ecoboost owners are having with their engines and the carbon issue is a big one; swapping out cylinder heads can't be cheap!

Cheers
Tony

“It’s a recession when your neighbor loses his job; it’s a depression when you lose your own.” "Harry S Truman"
Isuzusweet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2017, 02:54 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2004 28' Classic
Monument , Colorado
Great! Lovely! What are we supposed to do about it? Are there some preventative actions?

BTW, thanks for posting this. I was totally unaware there were any issues. Time to start researching.
DaveP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2017, 04:10 PM   #3
Rivet Master

Lakes Region , New Hampshire
Kinda screams of fake news. The referenced video is from 2014, try to research it and most everything is from more than a year ago and references this guy's video. And he's a mechanic with a parts store on Amazon selling his wares.

Almost every forum where someone asked the question and referenced the video, all the respondents say they know of no one with issues on the F150s.

Beware - do your research before just jumping onto the sky is falling band wagon.

To be fair - isuzusweet, do you own an F150 that had suffered this problem or did you just come across it and are passing it along for knowledge?
RandyNH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2017, 04:25 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2000 19' Bambi
mt. Prospect , Illinois
Hmmm.... the video references carbon build up on the intake valves, in a direct injection eco boost motor. Why would the intakes build up carbon, when they pass only air? The fuel is direct injected into the cylinder. I don't think you can believe everything you see on the internet.
Old 04-01-2017, 04:32 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2004 28' Classic
Monument , Colorado
I took the hook (line and sinker). Here is what the Automotive Aftermarket Suppliers Association has to say. Point four is particularly pertinent.

With almost 400,000 3.5L EcoBoost engines on the road today, these engines have proven to be a solid power unit. Many of these engines are out of warranty and heading to your shop. Here are the top failures and what to look for:

1. REFLASH: There have been at least seven updates to change calibrations and operation software for the 2011 models to address problems with the vacuum, ignition and transmission shifting. If you get a customer in your shop complaining of a loss of power or stalling, check the PCM to make sure it has the latest calibration. TSB 13-8-10 covers 2011-2013 models with the 3.5L V6 and discusses how new software calibrations can resolve a buck/jerk at steady cruise conditions with the transmission in sixth gear and lugging up grades at 1500-2000 RPM.

2. Timing Chain Wear: Since the 3.5L EcoBoost is turbocharged, the oil is under extreme stress. If the driver pushes it past the recommended oil change interval, the first item to show the abuse is usually the timing chain. Worn-out oil can damage the chain, guides and tensioner. When the chain is worn and stretched, the PCM detects the changes in camshaft position and sets code P0016 for crankshaft/camshaft correlation. Check out TSB 14-0194 for more information.

3. Ignition Issues: If you get a 3.5L EcoBoost in your shop with misfire code(s) P0300-0306, pull the plugs and coil boots and look for carbon tracks on the insulator of the plugs. If any tracking is present, replace all the plugs and boots. See TSB 14-0180 for more information.

4. Induction Cleaning Mistakes: The 3.5L has not had many issues with carbon build-up on the intake valves. But, some DIY owners will use induction cleaners that are injected into the intake. These types of cleaners can damage the turbochargers’ bearings, seals and turbines. The best advice is to use high-quality fuel. Also, Ford has released new PCV parts and PCM calibrations to reduce the amount crankcase vapor ingested into the intake. See TSB 15-0003 for more information.
DaveP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2017, 04:54 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

1973 31' Sovereign
Middletown , California
I think the problem is caused by oil droplets in the crankcase vapors hitting the back of the really hot intake valves and cooking onto them. There are aftermarket catch cans to collect the droplets to try and keep the valves clean and avoid this problem. You need to install a catch can before the buildup gets too thick.
ijustlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2017, 04:54 PM   #7
jcl
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Vancouver , British Columbia
I purchased a direct injection BMW six cylinder in 2007, and followed similar reports of issues with deposits on intake valves. I never had an issue, but some did.

There appear to be two factors impacting the frequency of this problem occurring. Firstly, lots of short trips, and the engine not having time to warm up fully. That can lead to issues with the EGR system, and condensation buildup makes it worse. Oily deposits in the EGR do see the back of the intake valves, and can cause deposits. As noted in the video, direct injection engines don't have the benefit of the fuel system cleaners/detergents being sprayed in that area as do port injection engines. Techron works great at keeping injectors clean, but doesn't get at the location where these deposits occur. Related to the first issue is whether the vehicle ever gets hot and works hard. Modern high performance engines like to work every now and then, idling them endlessly isn't a recipe for success. Getting them good and hot, what used to be called an Italian tune up, reduces the frequency of this happening. The second factor appears to be fuel quality, as this can vary quite a bit geographically. The fuel doesn't see the back of the intake valve, but misfires do lead to increased deposits, and there appears to be a correlation.

Use good quality fuel, get the engine good and hot from time to time (pulling up a hill, towing a trailer, is a good recipe for that) and don't worry overly about things that aren't as widespread as the internet makes them appear.

Jeff
jcl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2017, 04:57 PM   #8
jcl
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Vancouver , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by ijustlee View Post
I think the problem is caused by oil droplets in the crankcase vapors hitting the back of the really hot intake valves and cooking onto them. There are aftermarket catch cans to collect the droplets to try and keep the valves clean and avoid this problem. You need to install a catch can before the buildup gets too thick.
I think a catch can is an expensive add on designed to liberate dollars from the vehicle owner. Note that the poster of the video in the OP is promoting catch can kits on Amazon.
jcl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2017, 08:16 PM   #9
Dazed and Confused

Currently Looking...
1983 31' Airstream310
Hillsburgh , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyNH View Post

To be fair - isuzusweet, do you own an F150 that had suffered this problem or did you just come across it and are passing it along for knowledge?
Sorry Randy I don't own a Ecoboost but I have friends in high places in the Ford organization, also parts and service. These people have spoken in the past at their own hesitation at owning an Ecoboost (parts person bought a 5.0), but wouldn't talk specifically about what possible problems there are.

I just came across this video, and while sceptical at first, a lot of it made sense. Turbo's do create a lot more heat inside an engine and engine bay, which is the reason manufacturers use intercoolers to cool intake air. Turbo's are also susceptible to bad oil,(wearing out turbine shafts) as well as timing chains as a previous poster noted.

I also totally agree on a previous posters note on fuel quality. A good quality fuel will not coke up, leave deposits and burn more effectively and efficiently.

I did not post this with the intent of stirring up a hornets nest or scaring anyone but to pass along relevant information on an engine that is prevalent in this forum. I did not pass any personal judgement on the video I posted.

Just another tid bit.....

http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/ford...2017-1.4051374

Cheers
Tony

“It’s a recession when your neighbor loses his job; it’s a depression when you lose your own.” "Harry S Truman"
Old 04-01-2017, 09:09 PM   #10
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isuzusweet View Post
I just came across this video, and while sceptical at first, a lot of it made sense.

I did not post this with the intent of stirring up a hornets nest or scaring anyone but to pass along relevant information on an engine that is prevalent in this forum. I did not pass any personal judgement on the video I posted.

Just another tid bit.....

http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/ford...2017-1.4051374

Cheers
Tony
Thanks for the response Tony, I've read a bunch of other things you've posted and never got the impression you posted bogus info, that's what prompted the question.

Heard about the 250s today on local news. I'll add to it that they stated they don't yet have a fix for it.
Old 04-01-2017, 09:48 PM   #11
4 Rivet Member

2015 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' Flying Cloud
Waxahachie , Texas
Quote:
Thanks for the response Tony, I've read a bunch of other things you've posted and never got the impression you posted bogus info, that's what prompted the question.

Heard about the 250s today on local news. I'll add to it that they stated they don't yet have a fix for it.

On the F250's, they just don't have the parts available at the dealerships to fix yet. They have the fix.

On the EcoBoost F150, I have had two and put 150,000 miles on my 2011 and 75,000 on a 2015. My daughter has one as well with 20,000 so far and none have had any issues. Someone mentioned an oil catch can and that they were expensive. Have one on my Shelby to protect supercharger. Easy to install and reasonable price.

Chuck
silverlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2017, 10:47 PM   #12
Dazed and Confused

Currently Looking...
1983 31' Airstream310
Hillsburgh , Ontario
Quote:

Randy

I may not get all my facts right some times and my humour can be a bit over the top to some people on this site, but my heart is in the right place.

If someone ever posted about problems they experienced with any vehicle I'd be the last to tell them "I told you so" or "you deserved it because you bought a ______."

If reading this post causes someone to re-think 10-15,000 mile oil changes, then good on us.

Cheers
Tony

PS. My automotive motto is, "fluids are cheap".

Old 04-02-2017, 04:40 AM   #13
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverlabs View Post
On the F250's, they just don't have the parts available at the dealerships to fix yet. They have the fix.
Thanks, it wouldn't be the first time my local station incorrectly read what was on the paper in front of them...
Old 04-02-2017, 08:42 AM   #14
4 Rivet Member

A 2014 video about what might/maybe/could happen? Wouldn't it be better to report on what has happened?
Airstreamer67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 10:19 AM   #15
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Oswego , Illinois
I have friend that is retired serv. mgr for several makes of ford auto mfr. dealership. When I looked for new auto in 2011 he advised against any mfr. that has direct injected motor as cabon build up is prevalent around 40,000 miles not only his serv. but other mfrs. Only way to clean is sand blast cyl. heads to remove, also another friend independent auto repair shop former expert gm before starting own shop stated same thing. These are two that are in field of repair both of two dif. manf. so I trust there expertise not rumors of yes or no build up.
featherbedder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 10:43 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
Echoboost

Interesting video, note he references his issues with the 2.7 L EB. I have 110K miles on my 3.5L, mostly highway and only issue was a plug fouled out at 90K last summer. I have been told by Ford mechanics (I trust) to change my oil at 4-6K miles and should not have any issues; I do that and have no issues!

I also read on the Forum and elsewhere, the Chevy (which I am also considering) can have similar issues with the 6.2L?

I drove a new Lariat EB on Friday and it was a pretty sweet ride! I could really feel the torque increase; steering was a little different and not sure I liked the new mirrors vs mine, but payload was much higher. Based on my experience with my 2012, I am leaning toward April purchase of the new EB while they will have new incentives going. Early reports have been positive and I know Ford does a pretty good job of running these through the "ringer" before production release.
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 12:07 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Anna Maria , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by robert claus View Post
Hmmm.... the video references carbon build up on the intake valves, in a direct injection eco boost motor. Why would the intakes build up carbon, when they pass only air? The fuel is direct injected into the cylinder. I don't think you can believe everything you see on the internet.

I seen that video last year and I thought it was just another scam.
I traded our 2012 F-150 Ecoboost last December with 100 k miles. The only items replaced on the engine at about 80k was new spark plugs. The truck ran as good as new when we traded it. Ind it spent a lot time out west pulling our 30' Airstream,
franklyfrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 12:14 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2013 25' Flying Cloud
Wheaton , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcl View Post
Use good quality fuel,...
Ok, I'll bite. Two responses make this suggestion.

How does one know if they are purchasing good quality fuel? Or bad quality fuel?

What does one look for when pulling into the station or up to the pump?

Greg
greghoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 12:27 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
Davidson County , NC Highlands County, FL
Quote:
Originally Posted by greghoro View Post
Ok, I'll bite. Two responses make this suggestion.

How does one know if they are purchasing good quality fuel? Or bad quality fuel?

What does one look for when pulling into the station or up to the pump?

Greg
http://www.toptiergas.com/
Old 04-02-2017, 12:27 PM   #20
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
belen , New Mexico
Ecoboost

Aka turbo charged engine.

Buy crap gas loaded with ethanol and drive way past your oil change Mileage and you will brobably have an issue.
alantbird is offline   Reply With Quote