Old 06-28-2006, 02:37 PM   #29
Rivet Master

Elgin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry2952
Just curious. What is the maximum allowable length of a motorhome/trailer?
Barry,

A while back a member posted this link which lists various towing laws, including max length. Extremely useful.

bake315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2006, 02:54 PM   #30
3 Rivet Member

Thanks Dave. I'll look into that.

Old 06-28-2006, 03:39 PM   #31
3 Rivet Member

Quote:
I've looked at several COE and semis from the era. Unfortunately, I'm 6'5" and nothing from that era is big enough for this body. The beauty of an Airstream, or other motorhome, is the spacious cabin.

The "living space" of the trailer is only meant to be a meeting place and a respite from the sun during the Concours d'Elegance that we participate in. I never had plans to sleep in it.

I'm the same size, and jumping in that one was a lot easier than others- extended cab made some difference, but still not for cross country- its not able to recline enough for me.

I hate to say it, but you need to build one- or maybe a 1948 Flxible or Greyhound Silversides? Throw a Cat 3116 or a little more and should be ok- the old 6-53 Detroit is going to huff itself to death...

Maybe a Bluebird Wanderlodge? I haven't been under one, but a fresh engine and a little work may do it.

I've towed trailers that weighed a third of what yours does, with a 350 gas engine in a "tow packaged" vehicle. On the big hills, I was on the shoulder and wishing I was in a diesel.

You need to come to the conclusion that the gas vehicles- especially an AS MH, which was designed as a LIGHT bodied vehicle- made from aluminum are not of the class vehicle to pull that much weight. The P-30 chassis is basically the same a Frito's truck- how much do potato chips weigh? You can get that trailer to pull behind a 25 HP John Deere garden tractor, but if you hit a speed bump, it comes to a halt.

I'm a firm believer in the high horse to weight ratio thing, and the other ideal situation is a strong Allison or a HD stick- and you should see if Gear Vendors will work with that weight- my guess is that they have one that will. You mentioned a 2 speed in your C-60- thats the same basic principle, but its electronic. You have to check the weight specs- I've never pushed one like you will. It splits the gears- and they're great.

Its tough, but unless you want to settle for an F-350/450 etc with a PSD, or step up to a Freightliner CX or whatever they were/ Top Kick, etc- a classic is going to be in need of new technology installed, and based on what you've done with the Spartanette- I'd say it would be awesome, but yeah- more time...

Good luck- you're an incredible craftsman, hope this solves easily.
Old 06-28-2006, 04:11 PM   #32
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
On a side note. I couldn't help but admire the photos of your Lincoln "toy". I have always loved the styling of the 50's Mark II. They are rare in and of themselves, but to own, as I recall from your website, one of only two convertables, man I envy you. The Mark II was almost contradictory to the fins and chrome era of the 50's. A design philosophy that became the norm in the 60's.

I have also loved the 63+ era "suiside" door model convertables. Nearly as minimal a car design as there was during the 60's and about as luxurious as there was, too. I really like the convertable hard top models with the retractable hard tops. Not too many of them around.

I was facinated by your Lincoln limo. As I recall, the reason behind the suicide doors was that that era Lincoln had a uni-body construction and having the rear doors hinged in the middle would have had too much weight in the middle and the floor pan would have buckled under extreme road conditions. (This may be the reason AS put such low tow ratings on its Classic MoHo's). Anyway, I was facinated to see the rear facing middle doors in the rear passenger seating area. I don't think I have ever seen that set up on a Lincoln stretch before. I'd really appreciate some info on how the coach builder strengthened the frame for that configuration and, of course, more photos of the car in either restored or unrestored condition.

Part of my facination with the later Lincoln is that my uncle had a '69 Lincoln Continental (non-stretch) that he purchased new. Per him at the time, it was flown, yes flown by plane not delivered by car carrier, to the Atlanta Airport, where it was unloaded and he picked it up. He even had photos that appeared in our newspaper of it being backed down the ramps from the rear of the plane. I don't know if this was normal delivery procedures for this particular model or not. We lived in a small south Georgia town about 200 miles south of Atlanta. A few years later, it was not uncommon to see mid-70's era Lincoln's in our town as the local Ford dealer had the ability to special order them since there was no Lincoln dealer within our facinity.
WBCCI# 4821
http://streaminacrossamerica.com/
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2006, 05:00 PM   #33
3 Rivet Member

I was actually looking for a slab-side convertible when I found the Mark II on e-bay. I don't have one yet but it's on the agenda.

The limo is not a stretch, it's a splice. It's made from two cars. It has two sets of front doors. It has two VIN tags. If you look closely you can see that the front car is complete from the front bumper to the back of the "B" pillar. The second car is complete from the firewall back.

I bought it a couple of years ago on a lark. I showed my wife the picture and she said "Buy it. By the time you finish restoring it we'll be too old to drive at night so we'll hire someone to drive it for us."

Millionairstream,

As much as I would like to use a Diesel vehicle, that isn't going to happen. My wife has tinnitus and is driven insane by the rumble of even the most advanced diesels. I, on the other hand, become ill wheen I'm in the presence of diesel fumes. All of my bucket and service trucks are gasoline powered.

If you would examine what I've done with the load leveling system and the high pressure tires coupled with a packaged precision bearing system you will begin to see that this trailer will tow differently than what you may be accustomed to. It has 24,000 lbs of capacity but the GVW is 13,000 lbs. I can roll the empty trailer around my shop with one hand. It's that easy to move.

I contend that the stresses induce on the tow vehicle will be less than the 2-3,000 lb rating. Transferring the tug directly to the rear axle eliminates almost all of the stress on the trailer frame.

But, I've been wrong before. Feel free to chip away at my assessment.
Old 06-28-2006, 05:43 PM   #34
3 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnie's Mate
On a side note. I couldn't help but admire the photos of your Lincoln "toy".

I was smitten by its appearance too.

It's not a Lincoln. It's the orphaned car brand "Continental" which was a separate division of Ford Motor Company. This is the first year that the Continental Mark II has been allowed into the Orphaned Car Show in Ypsilanti, MI.

It did share a Lincoln drive train but the rest was unique to Continental.

Old 06-28-2006, 05:50 PM   #35
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Suburbia , Sunny So Cal
Here's a few thoughts from the bleachers. If you got the 79 you seem to be leaning toward and boxed the frame and upgraded your driveline i.e. engine, trans, driveshaft and rear end would that not increase your towing ability? Beautifull trailer.
Old 07-05-2006, 08:23 PM   #36
3 Rivet Member

Quote:
The entire construction series is posted here. Warning to dial-up users.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/340096/5

BTW, this is the car that's going inside the "Toybox".

7-5-2006 NEARING COMPLETION 44 days left

Today was a proud day. Warning, I took a bunch of pictures.

I pulled the trailer out into the parking lot for a near-completion walk-around. It seems bigger outside.

The next two pictures show that there is no support holding up the front or rear of the trailer. It's not just balanced. If I were to let the air out of the airbags the nose would touch the ground. Each axle has its own ride height valve so I can select which of the three axles I want to be the fulcrum and simply set the valve to have more air in that set than the others.

This is the position that the trailer will be in for loading and unloading. The front is inclined 3-5 to allow the weight of the car to pay it out of the trailer controlled by the winch.

The cabin is nearing completion. I hired and fired a painter. I did a much better job myself. I painted the window frames and aluminum openings the same color as the bamboo siding. The black rubber window gasket look great up against the lighter color. The light green composite window sills and table will be ready soon as will the "Beatnik" drapes. The windows are now all installed.

I found the ideal curtain rod. It"s 1/2" diameter stainless tubing that has a semi-shiny surface.

Many have expressed concern that the trailer will blind other motorists when the trailer crosses their path. I've explained that the side of the trailer is a convex mirror and deflects light upward or downward but never straight ahead.

Notice the concentration of reflected light close to the trailer. It was a 4:00 sun with a pretty clear sky.

That pattern also shows what would happen to intersecting headlights. Without the conspictuity strips an intersecting car would not see the reflection of their own headlights.

It did turn out just like the conceptual drawing.

[/img]
Old 07-06-2006, 09:18 AM   #37
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Quote:
I was smitten by its appearance too.

It's not a Lincoln. It's the orphaned car brand "Continental" which was a separate division of Ford Motor Company. This is the first year that the Continental Mark II has been allowed into the Orphaned Car Show in Ypsilanti, MI.

It did share a Lincoln drive train but the rest was unique to Continental.

I stand corrected. Growing up in the '70's all I knew was the Lincoln Continental and the Lincoln Mark V's and VI's. Still, yours is the body style that is my favorite Ford product. To me it and the mid-50's Cadillac Biarittz (sp?) convertable summerize the elegance and luxury of an idealized era.
WBCCI# 4821
Old 07-06-2006, 09:25 AM   #38
Rivet Master

Elgin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnie's Mate
I stand corrected. Growing up in the '70's all I knew was the Lincoln Continental and the Lincoln Mark V's and VI's. Still, yours is the body style that is my favorite Ford product. To me it and the mid-50's Cadillac Biarittz (sp?) convertable summerize the elegance and luxury of an idealized era.
I hear that. When I was a young 'un, my grandparents had a sweet Mark III - white, navy blue vinyl top, blue leather interior. I was fascinated with the hideaway headlights.

Old 07-06-2006, 02:33 PM   #39
3 Rivet Member

My father had a new 1970 Lincoln Continental Town Coupe in black with the vinyl roof delete. He had the dealer put Michilin Red Lines on the car. It looked like something Darth Vader would drive.

One of my favorite Lincolns is also the second Mark III. Didn't care much for the first one.
Old 07-06-2006, 04:00 PM   #40
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Quote:
My father had a new 1970 Lincoln Continental Town Coupe in black with the vinyl roof delete. He had the dealer put Michilin Red Lines on the car. It looked like something Darth Vader would drive.

One of my favorite Lincolns is also the second Mark III. Didn't care much for the first one.
Now you got me. I remember the Mark III of thelate '60's but I don't think I recall a second Mark III or one of the early '60's. I recall the Mark IV, V, VI, and VII. I think Cannon started driving a Mark IV and finished the series in a Mark V. But I don't remember anything between the Mark III of the '60's and Mark IV of the '70's unless I'm thinking of the second Mark III. Was there an early '60's Mark III? What did it look like?
WBCCI# 4821
Old 07-06-2006, 04:13 PM   #41
3 Rivet Member

You don't remember the '58 Lincoln Mark III? Most people have intentionally blocked it from their memory. You might have been too young to had it seared into your memory.

Old 07-06-2006, 04:24 PM   #42
Rivet Master

Elgin , Texas
I know there was a Mark III in '69, and also in '70. My grandparents had the '70, and traded it in '72 for a toffee colored Coupe de Ville. Not nearly as nice of a car, IMO.