Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-23-2016, 11:15 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2003 22' International CCD
East Durham , New York
Gas or Diesel

I have a 2003 22 ft CCD GVW 5k and thinking about getting a Chevy Colorado and can’t decide between the gas or diesel version. I’ve never owned a diesel and it is an almost $4k premium over the gas but it does have the integrated trailer brake controller, exhaust brake, automatic 4wd system and much better gas mileage. I’m currently towing with a 2014 Silverado and it’s effortless. Downsizing is the goal here, I know my Silverado is overkill even though it's a great truck. I’ve towed with a mid-sized truck before (Frontier) with disastrous results so would like to make the right decision without regrets.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

James
bluvalley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 11:36 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
Why switch? The Silverado is working well and is not that much larger than a Colorado. Why spend the money?

Kelvin
Old 08-23-2016, 11:39 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB International
Trent Woods , North Carolina
Just had a friend roll a 23 pulling it with a mid-size truck and a Reese. IMHO, if you have a full size truck, you should stick with it. Longer wheel base, more weight, etc. Sure, lot's of people tow with SUV's and mid-size trucks but I think you already have a better tow vehicle.
Larry
lsbrodsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 12:33 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
We had a similar choice earlier this year, Ram 1500 with 5.7 gas Hemi or 3.0 EcoDiesel. Our previous 2012 Ram Hemi gas engine was terrific, and so are the small turbodiesel engines we have had in VW's the past 15 years.

We got the EcoDiesel and are very happy with it, it tows our Airstream smoothly with plenty of power and engine compression braking. The greatest advantages are less transmission shifting on grades due to the diesel's low rpm torque, and remarkable fuel economy. Since new the truck has averaged 24.9 mpg overall (half of that towing), we expect 28-29 mpg highway 65 mph and 16-17 mpg towing our Airstream 63-65 mph in normal conditions and roadways.

Very important features of our Ecodiesel are 8-speed transmission for smooth engine operation, economy, and braking, and 3.92 axle ratio for easier towing.

Neither gas or diesel engine trucks have ever been in the shop for repairs, same with our 2006 VW diesel. The small diesels have been good to us.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 12:56 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2008 30' Classic S/O
Dearborn , Michigan
Honestly, in my experience, there's very little difference between gasser and diesel, AFA towing power goes.
My Suburban 8.1L gas had plenty of power, as does my current 2003 Ford E-350 7.3 Power Stroke Diesel. I suppose MPG is a bit better with the diesel.

If we're comparing strictly diesel-gas, I guess the only real benefit (for me) is the simplicity of the Ford PSD. The Chevy 496ci and 4L80E transmission was an electronics nightmare. Any little problem needed in depth diagnosis with proprietary tools.

The Ford is the exact opposite. That's not to say there isn't any electronics, it's just so much more primitive.
Simple. I love simple.

Too bad, after seeing some modern diesels at Woodward Dream Cruise, I think simplicity is long gone.
boondockdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 02:18 PM   #6
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Walnut Creek , California
We would not trade, but then our second vehicle is a 2001 and we hope it lasts another 10-20 years. Sunk cost is sunk cost - use it or lose it.

Did know a lady who's father traded his new Cadillac every 3 months. He liked a new car and there was a line of customers for his cars. He thought it saved him money and the customers knew it saved them time, because he worked out the bugs. Of course that was 30 years ago when cars had bugs.

Diesel vs gas is a valid question. Lots of miles makes diesel a better option. It may be a great option in the future as bio diesel is developed. When we looked for our last purchase, diesel was more expensive than gas. Now it's less expensive. Diesel was real cheap in BC Canada this summer. Who knows what it will cost next year. If you don't drive many miles or are going to trade every 2-3 years, go gas. If you drive lots of miles and plan to keep it for a long time, go diesel - but not a first year model.
---------------------------------------------------------------

Now - Rolled a 23????? Are the people OK? Is there a thread about the incident? What happened? What was learned? Were any tires hurt?
---------------------------------------------------------------
Travel safe. Pat
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 03:33 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB International
Trent Woods , North Carolina
No thread. They are not forum members. Truck passed them down grade in the Poconos. Sway resulted, did not recover, trailer fishtailed, rolled, they hit the median divider. They are fine and have recovered physically and mentally.
They now have a RAM ecodiesel and are shopping for another 23.

Larry
lsbrodsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 03:34 PM   #8
Huh?

1975 27' Overlander
Twin Cities , Minnesota
Diesels stink. The exhaust stinks and the fuel stinks. Get some diesel on your shoes, etc and you'll smell it all day.
I have both gas and diesel tractors.
If I start a diesel in the shed it's like breathing Zyklon B.
Yes diesels are more efficient fuel wise but gassers are far more pleasant to operate.
I would never want to be around a stinky, noisy diesel if I was traveling and wanted to stay clean.
Ultradog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 03:44 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
I personally would not down size from a full sized truck to a Colorado for towing if I was going to do much towing. Are they actually delivering the Colorado diesel now? A few months ago they were supposed to be extremely rare, if existing at all. I do not really agree with the "overkill" label. If I did make such a move I guess I would look at the diesel pretty hard. I sure do like towing with our 2500 Dodge diesel. (yeah, maybe "overkill", but boy, it tows nice). I had a Dakota. And my son a Tacoma. Both beat the heck out of me when driving or riding. Hope the Colorado rides better.
Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 03:53 PM   #10
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
I've never gotten diesel or gas on my shoes. I've been driving 50 years,. Some of us on here have no experience with the new diesels. Things have changed in the last few years.
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 03:58 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Spicewood (W of Austin) , Texas
Gasoline engines are equal in durability these days and it's far easier to find a mechanic and fuel than diesel. And they're quieter. And they're easier to operate in really cold weather. And there's no DEF to have to mess with. And the fuel, when you can find diesel, is more expensive than gasoline....so there goes the supposed economy.
Gasoline will be my choice until hydrogen.
Boxite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 08:28 PM   #12
3 Rivet Member

East Durham , New York
Thanks everyone. Can always count on the best help from this forum!

James
Old 08-23-2016, 08:47 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2015 30' FB FC Bunk
Ayer , Massachusetts
It's a personal preference. See if you can try both. I also agree there is no overkill.
Ted S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 10:18 PM   #14
4 Rivet Member

1991 25' Excella
Stanfield , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultradog View Post
Diesels stink. The exhaust stinks and the fuel stinks. Get some diesel on your shoes, etc and you'll smell it all day.
I have both gas and diesel tractors.
If I start a diesel in the shed it's like breathing Zyklon B.
Yes diesels are more efficient fuel wise but gassers are far more pleasant to operate.
I would never want to be around a stinky, noisy diesel if I was traveling and wanted to stay clean.
Actually a new diesels exhaust smells better than a gas engine thanks to all the exhaust treatment systems. The ultra low sulfur diesel that's mandated is a lot cleaner and puts out a lot less odors, but it's best to keep all fuel of your shoes.

But the real question is how you well use your truck. If you're going to be running around town and doing frequent short trips ( under 10 miles) most of the time then a gas engine is a better choice. But as a dedicated tow vehicle diesel is the way to go hands down.
SpletKay06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 04:38 AM   #15
4 Rivet Member

2018 27' Flying Cloud
Austin , Texas
I agree with the sentiment not to downsize for the diesel. That said, I'm a fan of diesel. But sticking with diesel means you have either the 3.0 diesel engine in the RAM which is still a bit dicey when it comes to GVWR, or having to move up to ¾ ton where you have 6+ liter diesel engines. Obviously moving up to ¾ ton gives you GVWR in spades, but it's now very pricey for that diesel option and now you're pulling around a ton of weight you don't need even when you're not towing.

The real advantage, if there is one, moving up to ¾ ton is most include huge fuel tanks. I moved up from ½ ton gas to ¾ ton diesel which is overkill for my 23D, but I wanted the range and with the trade-in on my GMC and the price on the new ¾ ton Chevy diesel, it was hard to pass up. I'm very pleased and wouldn't think twice about not doing it again. But that's me.
wbrisett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 04:43 AM   #16
4 Rivet Member

2018 27' Flying Cloud
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxite View Post
Gasoline engines are equal in durability these days and it's far easier to find a mechanic and fuel than diesel. And they're quieter. And they're easier to operate in really cold weather. And there's no DEF to have to mess with. And the fuel, when you can find diesel, is more expensive than gasoline....so there goes the supposed economy.
Gasoline will be my choice until hydrogen.
I agree with the statement about durability. However, have you been in any of the new diesels? Inside the cabin, you have no idea that you're in a diesel. They are just as quiet these days. Gas prices are a bit higher, but when you average out MPG, you're right in the same ballpark and depending on what engine and weight, you can come out ahead. That said, you pay an enormous premium for the diesel engine and that can be hard to overcome from a price perspective.

Also if somebody is looking at it from a cost perspective, you have to take into account the cost of an oil change. For diesel they are quite a bit more expensive. The only advantage is you go 3x as long before having to perform them.
wbrisett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 05:08 AM   #17
2 Rivet Member

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Quebec , Quebec
Chevy Colorado

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluvalley View Post
I have a 2003 22 ft CCD GVW 5k and thinking about getting a Chevy Colorado and can’t decide between the gas or diesel version. I’ve never owned a diesel and it is an almost $4k premium over the gas but it does have the integrated trailer brake controller, exhaust brake, automatic 4wd system and much better gas mileage. I’m currently towing with a 2014 Silverado and it’s effortless. Downsizing is the goal here, I know my Silverado is overkill even though it's a great truck. I’ve towed with a mid-sized truck before (Frontier) with disastrous results so would like to make the right decision without regrets.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

James
Hello. You have an interesting question and it will be interesting to get comments in the future from people having accumulated a significant mileage with the Colorado Diesel. Your Silverado is still new and it is a very good towing machine. The Colorado has much less capacity and look closely to the dimensions and empty weight the differences are not significant unless you have the longer version of the Silverado. If you downsize you will regret it. Have fun and keep us informed. Regards
Toutsi 1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 06:08 AM   #18
3 Rivet Member

East Durham , New York
Great articles!

http://news.pickuptrucks.com/2016/08...-for-more.html

http://news.pickuptrucks.com/2016/08...e-a-champ.html
Old 08-30-2016, 07:15 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Spicewood (W of Austin) , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by wbrisett View Post
I agree with the statement about durability. However, have you been in any of the new diesels? Inside the cabin, you have no idea that you're in a diesel. They are just as quiet these days. Gas prices are a bit higher, but when you average out MPG, you're right in the same ballpark and depending on what engine and weight, you can come out ahead. That said, you pay an enormous premium for the diesel engine and that can be hard to overcome from a price perspective.

Also if somebody is looking at it from a cost perspective, you have to take into account the cost of an oil change. For diesel they are quite a bit more expensive. The only advantage is you go 3x as long before having to perform them.
So we basically agree. It's hard to justify diesel on the basis of economics.

And if you've ever tried to sleep next to a late-arrival in the campsite while a diesel sets up camp in the next campsite, ... or attempt a conversation next to the idling-diesel ...you'll also agree diesels are noisy.

And why... WHY...do diesel owners insist upon long idling periods...? (So they can pretend they're a long-distance-trucker with engine-knocking at the truck-stop?)
Not to mention the youngsters who must deliberately modify their diesels to blackout the sky with SMOKE anytime they mash the accelerator!

OK....I'm OK. Really, I am. really...
Boxite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 07:24 AM   #20
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
N/A , N/A
Keep your Silverado. You will always lose money when you trade in.

Also, have to respectfully disagree with Ultradog. New diesels do not stink. They may be even cleaner than the gasser equivalents. Clean diesel, however, has more moving parts, so there is more chance of something breaking.
rostam is offline   Reply With Quote