Old 10-18-2007, 12:34 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
I recently was in the market for a new truck, but did not want or need a 3/4 ton or a diesel engine. The first truck I drove was an extended cab, 5.4 liter Ford with the towing package. It was a very nice truck...Lariat with all the options. However, it rode like crap, the seats were absolutely the most uncomfortable I had ever sat in, and it did not seem to have any power or acceleration. My 2004 Dodge with the 4.7 liter engine performed much better.

So, I looked at and drove a GMC (because I don't like the looks of the new Chevys), also an extended cab, 5.3 liter, with towing package, but not as expensive a model. Long story short, I bought the GMC. It rides better, the seat is much more comforable (I have a bad back), and it runs MUCH better than the Ford. I guarantee you it will run off and hide from the Ford.

I have towed the Airstream with the GMC and it handles it great...much better than the short wheelbased Dodge it replaced. I know this is the typical Ford/Chevy argument, but I'm happy.

Old 04-29-2014, 07:09 AM   #16
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Lin , Ne

Old 04-30-2014, 08:45 AM   #17
Rivet Master

1995 30' Excella
Bowie , Maryland
Old 04-30-2014, 09:03 AM   #18
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
What does this test have to do with anything? Why would you use that particular parameter to design a truck frame? I want to know things like will all the electronic crap that GM puts on stuff still work in 10 yrs? What will this truck look like in 10-20 yrs which is the zone I am in. The same goes for Dodge. I am more concerned about maintenance and longevity. Bragging rights don't mean crap when the top of the pack is in the junk yard in 10 yrs. It is like to folks that peak in high school and never amount to anything. I buy for the long haul not bragging rights. Buy what makes you happy and don't pay attention the hype. My priorities are not the same as most folks though.

Perry
Old 04-30-2014, 09:11 AM   #19
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Lin , Ne
Old 04-30-2014, 09:31 AM   #20
3 Rivet Member

2007 27' Safari FB SE
Spokane , Washington
Since we are looking at videos here is one for ride quality. I am sure the Chevy, GMC, Ram, Toyota guys will will say it doesn't mean anything just like the Honda and Yamaha Generator guys say why you should buy them over....
Old 04-30-2014, 10:15 AM   #21
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Garden Valley , Idaho
I can't say about the newer Dodges, but in the past dodge 3/4-1 ton frames were the weakest of the big 3 makers. While most of the pipeline welders drive Dodges (due to their love of the Cummins diesel), they all welded an extra piece of steel along the frame between to cab and bed due to the permanent bend in the frames from going over extreme terrain. Ford and Chevy driven welders did not need this extra plate. Also, at the Ford dealers, they used to have a big display on their frames compared to Chevy and Dodge on the 1/2 ton trucks. Maybe Chevy and Dodge finally decided to beef up their frames as well. Biggest problem my friends are having with the new Chevy's is bad electronics and interior parts coming loose or falling off.
2002 Airstream Classic 30' w/SO #2074
2007 Kubota 900 RTV
1996 Ford Bronco
2007 Lincoln LT
pappy19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 11:27 AM   #22
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
This is only partly topical, but how many people have stopped on a bridge with traffic driving over it? The bridge flexes, then returns to its shape.
Structurally, if you make something so stiff it never bends, it will simply snap in half. So, in many cases, the stiffer frame is also the weaker.
Old 04-30-2014, 12:21 PM   #23
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Lin , Ne
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaggy1970AS View Post
Since we are looking at videos here is one for ride quality. I am sure the Chevy, GMC, Ram, Toyota guys will will say it doesn't mean anything just like the Honda and Yamaha Generator guys say why you should buy them over....

Fords twin I beam front end rode smooth but ate tires.
Old 04-30-2014, 12:23 PM   #24
2 Rivet Member

2017 25' International
Joliet , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63 View Post
Structurally, if you make something so stiff it never bends, it will simply snap in half. So, in many cases, the stiffer frame is also the weaker.
So true. This is the reason Peterbilt, KW, etc. does not fully box their frames. Without some type of flex that energy will be dissipated to places you don't want it.
Old 04-30-2014, 12:24 PM   #25
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Lin , Ne
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63 View Post
This is only partly topical, but how many people have stopped on a bridge with traffic driving over it? The bridge flexes, then returns to its shape.
The only truck I've known to break frames was fords in the 1980s.
Old 04-30-2014, 12:32 PM   #26
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Lin , Ne
Quote:
Originally Posted by bel73 View Post
So true. This is the reason Peterbilt, KW, etc. does not fully box their frames. Without some type of flex that energy will be dissipated to places you don't want it.
Ya, like the suspension.