Old 12-01-2012, 10:04 AM   #15
2 Rivet Member

1960 22' Safari
Colo Spgs , & Tucson
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxTow View Post

I'll admit that is was a leap of faith to go for the EB engine. It doesn't have a long track record, so I'll not begrude anybody who is taking a cautious approach.

Outside of North America, there has been much more focus on economy and emissions. Smaller twin turbo engines are much more common (as in BMWs). But it's certainly not as common in a work truck.

As for KISS - again, I generally agree with this principal. However it's hard to argue that today's engines (even the simplest) are far more complicated than the engines of 40 years ago - yet are far far more reliable.
+1...excellent points!

Old 12-01-2012, 10:05 AM   #16
3 Rivet Member

2005 30' Safari
Kanata , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Budget M3 View Post

To the OP: You don't "need" a full size truck to tow your 25' AS. If you choose one for personal reasons, that's great. However, if like many of us your TV is also used as daily transportation, it is much more comfortable to use a well executed SUV for both purposes.

Just my $.02...
Calculate your payload requirements - this is what pushed us to a full size truck over a SUV or some other vehicle.

To be able to haul the entire family, plus canoes, plus hitch, plus tongue weight plus the other gear that we take that cannot fit in the trailer the only vechicle that fit the bill was the F150 with HD Payload, or a move to an F250, etc.

If there were only two of us, and we didn't need/want to haul as much gear in the TV, we would certainly have gone for a vehicle that's easier to drive around towns. Which is an important point for not just daily drive chores, but for exploring travel destinations as well. Which is one of the reasons we buy RVs.

Old 12-01-2012, 10:23 AM   #17
2 Rivet Member

1960 22' Safari
Colo Spgs , & Tucson
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxTow View Post

Calculate your payload requirements - this is what pushed us to a full size truck over a SUV or some other vehicle.

To be able to haul the entire family, plus canoes, plus hitch, plus tongue weight plus the other gear that we take that cannot fit in the trailer the only vechicle that fit the bill was the F150 with HD Payload, or a move to an F250, etc.

If there were only two of us, and we didn't need/want to haul as much gear in the TV, we would certainly have gone for a vehicle that's easier to drive around towns. Which is an important point for not just daily drive chores, but for exploring travel destinations as well. Which is one of the reasons we buy RVs.
You are 2 for 2, Max. If you have a bunch of stuff to haul in addition to the AS, then a full size truck may make sense for you. For folks like us--two adults, 25 lbs worth of dog (we have chihuahuas , bicycles, typical camping gear, a generator, gas, etc, even fully loaded we have tongue weight less than the 770lb factory maximum, and the WD hitch and self leveling suspension take care of the rest. . Oh, and there is the added benefit that once we are unhitched and set up at a campsite, the SUV drives like a sports car :evilgrin:
Old 12-01-2012, 02:43 PM   #18
2 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Georgetown , Texas
We tow a 2012 25FB Flying Cloud with a 2012 Ford F150 FX2 SuperCrew with an EcoBoost and the Max Trailer towing package. We are happy with the performance while towing; the truck has always had plenty of power. Even towing in the mountains out West, the truck had the power to pull as fast as I wanted to go.

That said, a few things you should consider:
1) We always go 65mph or less, so going up a mountain at 80mph isn't anything we cared to do
2) The MaxPayload is (was?) only available on the long bed. If a long bed would have fit in our garage, I probably would have gotten that because ...
3) The thing you will run up against is the not the max trailer weight (which is a function of the Gross Combined Vehicle Weight Rating - GCWR). You probably *WILL* get close to the Gross Vehicle Weight Rating - GVWR and/or the Gross Rear Axle Weight Rating - GRAWR.

I did a *bunch* of research, and with a weight distribution hitch, the tongue weight of the trailer, 2 adults, 2 100-pound dogs, the truck accessories (running boards, tonneau cover), and our camping stuff, I think we come to within 500-700 pounds of the GVWR and/or the GRAWR. We have to be mindful of what we put in the truck bed. However, we have always been able to take what we need.

If you went with a 250, you wouldn't have the payload issue.

Here are some posts and threads with details
Thread with me asking about a F150 towing a 25FB
Details and links to Ford 2012 specs, towing guide, and payload workbook

Hope that helps.