Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Closed Thread

Old 02-18-2013, 07:43 AM   #361
Rivet Master

1969 29' Ambassador
brooksville , Florida
After review my stats it became clear that I can tow much more than I can load into my truck. So I guess the bikes, camping gear, coolers with ice, tools all go in the camper.
Old 02-18-2013, 07:54 AM   #362
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverflames View Post
After review my stats it became clear that I can tow much more than I can load into my truck. So I guess the bikes, camping gear, coolers with ice, tools all go in the camper.
That is usually the case with 1/2 tons. Just take the time to get some actual tongue and AS axle weights down at the scale when you get loaded up and adjust your load accordingly.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
Old 02-18-2013, 08:23 AM   #363
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
The factory (regardless of brand) published payload in their sales materials do not reflect the factory installed accessories when the truck was built.

When I took delivery of my new TV, the first stop was at a truck stop to fill the tank and cross the scales. I now had the real numbers for my TV. As each modification has been done to the vehicle, I make another pass across the scales with a full fuel tank tracking whether the new item impacted the front or rear suspension the most.

One thing of interest I have noticed is that the factory GVW number is less than the sum of the max load axle ratings, sometimes by a considerable amount. I would suggest that one never exceeds the axle ratings but might fudge just a little on GVW. DOT check points seem to be most interested in the axle loadings.

On my TV, the tires have considerably more capacity than the axle itself, which implies that the weakest link in the chain could be bearings, the axle casting itself or the springs. I am uninterested in crowding the maximum axle ratings to discover the actual failure point.

YMMV
Old 02-18-2013, 08:30 AM   #364
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
swits is right, however, it has been my experience with pickups, due to the placement of the axles in relation to the bed, that you would be hard pressed to load both axles near their limit and be over GVW. You'll typically overload the rear before you get to GVW....unless something odd is installed, like a large snow plow. Or you are loading VERY HEAVY objects in the passenger compartment.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
Old 02-19-2013, 06:44 AM   #365
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by switz View Post
The factory (regardless of brand) published payload in their sales materials do not reflect the factory installed accessories when the truck was built.

When I took delivery of my new TV, the first stop was at a truck stop to fill the tank and cross the scales. I now had the real numbers for my TV. As each modification has been done to the vehicle, I make another pass across the scales with a full fuel tank tracking whether the new item impacted the front or rear suspension the most.

One thing of interest I have noticed is that the factory GVW number is less than the sum of the max load axle ratings, sometimes by a considerable amount. I would suggest that one never exceeds the axle ratings but might fudge just a little on GVW. DOT check points seem to be most interested in the axle loadings.

On my TV, the tires have considerably more capacity than the axle itself, which implies that the weakest link in the chain could be bearings, the axle casting itself or the springs. I am uninterested in crowding the maximum axle ratings to discover the actual failure point.

YMMV
Switz

Good post. I suspect that at least 25% of the towed RV trailer rigs that are rolling down the highway are over the rear axle rating. The reason we don't see broken axle parts is the safety factor applied by the engineers and the design loads which would include driving very fast over rough roads. Most of our roads are smooth and this reduces the axle loading considerably.

It would be good if every one knew how much their TV weighed before hitching up the trailer.

Dan
Old 02-19-2013, 06:49 AM   #366
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by TouringDan View Post
Switz

Good post. I suspect that at least 25% of the towed RV trailer rigs that are rolling down the highway are over the rear axle rating. The reason we don't see broken axle parts is the safety factor applied by the engineers and the design loads which would include driving very fast over rough roads. Most of our roads are smooth and this reduces the axle loading considerably.

It would be good if every one knew how much their TV weighed before hitching up the trailer.

Dan
Dan, I would add to your statement,"I suspect that at least 25% of the towed RV trailer rigs that are rolling down the highway are over the rear axle rating.", and say I suspect that at least 50% of the 1/2 ton towed RV trailer rigs that are rolling down the higways are over the rear axle rating.
Old 02-19-2013, 11:39 PM   #367
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
I have made several posts in this thread detailing my investigation into a F150 EcoBoost King Ranch model for my particular situation. Wishful thinking not withstanding, nothing beats the actual numbers obtained by a pass across the scales. I have no doubts the motor could pull the load along a level road. But would an overloaded suspension component contribute to a future accident?

Flying by the seat of the pants in instrument conditions can get the pilot killed. So can failure to do due diligence by taking the truck across the scales loaded with the "typical" touring load (including people and pets in their normal positions) with no trailer attached to find out how much net payload is left for the trailer. The second pass including the loaded trailer confirms that the rig falls under the numbers captioned on the door or it exceeds those numbers.

Then the operator can make the decision that the F150 will "safely" do the job under all circumstances based upon reality rather than wishful thinking.

YMMV
Old 02-20-2013, 10:51 PM   #368

Currently Looking...
Lafayette , California
My apologies if this has been addressed earlier, but I just wanted to make sure. I'm brand new here, and it's been a dream of mine to own an airstream trailer ever since my fiancee and I stayed in one in Big Sur, CA.

Anywho, I'm in the market for a 1/2 ton, and have been focusing on the Ford F150 V6 w/ the tow package. By all accounts, it sounds like it would be enough truck for, say, an argosy trailer (which is the model I am leaning towards at the moment).

Once again, apologies for the noobie question, but I'm looking forward to learning a lot from this community. Airstream trailers freakin' rock.

-Franco
Old 02-21-2013, 08:09 AM   #369
Rivet Master

1988 32' Excella
Robbinsville , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by francodman View Post
My apologies if this has been addressed earlier, but I just wanted to make sure. I'm brand new here, and it's been a dream of mine to own an airstream trailer ever since my fiancee and I stayed in one in Big Sur, CA.

Anywho, I'm in the market for a 1/2 ton, and have been focusing on the Ford F150 V6 w/ the tow package. By all accounts, it sounds like it would be enough truck for, say, an argosy trailer (which is the model I am leaning towards at the moment).

Once again, apologies for the noobie question, but I'm looking forward to learning a lot from this community. Airstream trailers freakin' rock.

-Franco
Welcome
First Argosy is not a trailer model, it is a line of many different trailer and motor home models. So while the F150 can easily tow an Argosy depending on which model Argosy and which model F150 you may have to be extremely careful with payload.

Some F150s have less then 1400lbs payload and some Argosys have actual tongue weights as high as 1200lbs, with weight distribution you could still be losing more then 900lbs of payload leaving you as little as 400lbs for passengers and cargo in the truck.
Old 02-21-2013, 08:55 AM   #370

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
And some F150s have over 2600 lb payload in SuperCrew, just so we have both sides of that discussion represented here. (that's a Supercrew with a 6.5' box 4x2, by the way... 3100 lb if you get the regular cab/long bed, the Supercrew with 4x4 drops to 2300 lb. HD payload package, which comes on the 157" wheelbase chassis with the 3.73 limited-slip diff)

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
Old 05-15-2013, 11:46 AM   #371
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
GLENDALE , AZ
FYI:

Associated Press: "Ford owners sue, saying EcoBoost engine defective"

Ford owners sue, saying EcoBoost engine defective: Associated Press Business News - MSN Money
Old 05-15-2013, 12:42 PM   #372

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix View Post
FYI:

Ford owners sue, saying EcoBoost engine defective: Associated Press Business News - MSN Money
The headline omits the '3' that's in the story, as in '3 Ford owners sue' and 2 of those are Taurus SHO owners. It doesn't say what year the pickup is or whether or not it's had the intercooler fix (if it's old enough to have the original intercooler setup that had the condensation problem.)

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
Old 05-15-2013, 12:45 PM   #373
3 Rivet Member

2004 28' International CCD
rockwall , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix View Post
FYI:

My truck did the same thing (engine shudder). Took it to the dealer to have TSB performed. I have not had the problem since. 3 pissed off owners is hardly news. I pull a 28 foot trailer, no problems.
Old 05-16-2013, 09:13 AM   #374
2 Rivet Member

2007 27' Classic FB
Castle Rock , Colorado
I bought a 2012 F150 Echo-boost and traded in a 2010 F250 with the 6.4 diesel. We tow a 2007 27 FB Classic AS which has a tongue weight of 792, an empty weight of 6672 and a GVW of 9000. We have pulled this AS a total of 16K miles and average about 10.5 MPG. Empty we get about 17mpg but on the highway I've seen 20 mpg if I keep my foot out of it. I got about the same milage as you with the diesel. While I agree that the diesel felt like it could bend the frame of the AS with its torque, I feel now that it was very expensive over kill and I am thrilled with the Echo-Boost. We live in colorado and have pulled over some of the biggest passes including Wolf creek with out any problem. Not only are we saving money on fuel but, as you know, diesel purchase cost and maintenance are way more than gas engines particularly the newer diesels which have the particle filters in the exhaust. I hope this is a help
Larry
Old 05-16-2013, 10:27 AM   #375
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Dallas Center/Des Moines , Iowa
Quote:
Originally Posted by CloudDancing View Post
I bought a 2012 F150 Echo-boost and traded in a 2010 F250 with the 6.4 diesel. We tow a 2007 27 FB Classic AS which has a tongue weight of 792, an empty weight of 6672 and a GVW of 9000. We have pulled this AS a total of 16K miles and average about 10.5 MPG. Empty we get about 17mpg but on the highway I've seen 20 mpg if I keep my foot out of it. I got about the same milage as you with the diesel. While I agree that the diesel felt like it could bend the frame of the AS with its torque, I feel now that it was very expensive over kill and I am thrilled with the Echo-Boost. We live in colorado and have pulled over some of the biggest passes including Wolf creek with out any problem. Not only are we saving money on fuel but, as you know, diesel purchase cost and maintenance are way more than gas engines particularly the newer diesels which have the particle filters in the exhaust. I hope this is a help
Larry
Larry, wondering which model EcoBoost F150 you have, rear axel, tow package etc. Also curious as to which weight distribution hitch and sway control you are using. Best, Joe.
Old 05-16-2013, 10:46 AM   #376
Rivet Master

2016 28' Pendleton
Currently Looking...
Scottsdale , Arizona
Hi from AZ. . . At the risk of beating a dead horse, I too love my ecoboost '11 F150. My truck did that 'shudder & lose power thing' one time in a driving rainstorm on an Alabama interstate and never again. (course I haven't been back to Ala either). Mentioned it to service advisor at oil change visit & he claimed no code in my computer . . .so.? Since it hasn't happened again in 24k miles, I'm still happy with my truck. I think the longevity question remains for all of us. Regards,Craig
Old 05-16-2013, 12:10 PM   #377
Rivet Master

2012 28' International
Currently Looking...
New Orleans , Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by RamblinManGa View Post
Mentioned it to service advisor at oil change visit & he claimed no code in my computer . . .so.?
Same thing in the fog in Mississippi, same reply, hasen't happened again.
1968 Globetrotter Sold
2011 F150 Ecoboost
Old 05-16-2013, 01:57 PM   #378
3 Rivet Member

2004 28' International CCD
rockwall , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Clark View Post
Same thing in the fog in Mississippi, same reply, hasen't happened again.
You should probably have TSB 12-2-10 3.5L GTDI CALIBRATION UPDATE - VARIOUS ISSUES - BUILT ON OR BEFORE 2/7/2012 done on your truck.
Old 05-16-2013, 02:30 PM   #379
Rivet Master

2012 28' International
Currently Looking...
New Orleans , Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramble On View Post
You should probably have TSB 12-2-10 3.5L GTDI CALIBRATION UPDATE - VARIOUS ISSUES - BUILT ON OR BEFORE 2/7/2012 done on your truck.
Thanks I will bring this to the Dealer.

Jim
1968 Globetrotter Sold
2011 F150 Ecoboost
Old 05-17-2013, 06:54 AM   #380
2 Rivet Member

2007 27' Classic FB
Castle Rock , Colorado
F150 Supercrew, 157 " WB with Max Trailer towing package and 3.73 rear end. It is rated 11,100 Lb Max trailer load I use a Equalizer hitch system which does the job but can be noisy.
Closed Thread

Tags
ecoboost, f-150