Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-07-2003, 05:47 PM   #1
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
Duramax-Allison

I have been truck shopping and tomorrow (10/8) is T-Day. I have two quotes $100 apart from two excelent local dealers that I have had good experience with in the past.

I'm torn at the moment but will make my choice in the morning:

Truck A is Silver Birch which is my first choice and has the Bose sound system. It has buckets which have AC vents for the rear. I prefer the large cup holders in this truck since I use them for my cell phone, etc.

Truck B is Chrcoal Gray which is my second color choice. It has the power folding mirrors with turn signals. It has the split-bench which is substantially buckets, but there are two cupholders on the front of the seat and no AC vents to the rear.

Neither truck has trailering mirrors, but my present CIPA extensions will fit.

I really would like the folding mirrors since I can just get it in the garage. Right now, I am betting on truck A, though, and I will later replace the mirrors with power extending aftermarket mirrors.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2003, 06:13 PM   #2
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
John, I think you said it all...you even label them Truck A and B clearly stating that A is your pref. I'd go with "A".

It has the rear vents, buckets and the Bose sound which can help on those long trips you take!

I vote "A".

Eric
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2003, 06:34 PM   #3
Contributing Member

Forgot to mention

Truck A also comes with a free extended warranty, some free service, a free "new owners" seminar, and 6 rental car chits for use when it is in for service. Also, the truck A dealer is 20 miles closer to me.

Truck A is my choice. I should be breaking it in by early afternoon tomorrow.
WBCCI #9632
Old 10-07-2003, 07:23 PM   #4
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
John you are just a hoot. What can I say...you just keep crackn' me up.....

Let us know when "A" is in the driveway...also I am very interested in hearing about the 3200RPM redline. I found that very strange.....

Eric
Old 10-07-2003, 09:13 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2006 28' Safari SE
Currently Looking...
Colorado Springs , Colorado
Thumbs up My Silver Birch is on order...

Go with A. Hopefully mine will be delivered early Nov. I did order the trailering mirrors.
Enjoy,
Ken
silverback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2003, 09:58 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

2004 25' International CCD
Salem , Massachusetts
Did you order the one with the new Diesel engine? We're curious to know how that works. Heard Ford had some trouble with it's new engine - even if they don't really make it.

Good luck with your new truck. A sounds better!

Folding mirrors are great! We use them a lot.
Old 10-08-2003, 05:01 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

1972 31' Sovereign
High Springs , Florida
Send a message via AIM to Pick
I have the folding mirrors, with the turn signal indicators, they are cool.

My sound system is the stock AM/FM CD player. A friend got the Bose system, and I noticed the speakers in the doors, which have the Bose emblem, seem to have only 1 speaker cone in them. My stock system has a tweeter and woofer. I have not ridden in their Avalanche yet to see what the difference is.

John, your going to love the Duramax. Since you like to tinker, stop on over that The Diesel Place and check out the threads on additional fuel filtering options.
Lots of Hot Sauce!
Air # 283
WBCCI 1350
Pick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2003, 08:37 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

Pahaska,
Good luck with the new truck.
hmmmmm... bigger truck, bigger trailer?
Luke
luke warm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2003, 08:50 AM   #9
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Quote:
Originally posted by luke warm
Pahaska,
Good luck with the new truck.
hmmmmm... bigger truck, bigger trailer?
Luke
That seems to be the general thing that happens....look at Jack, he got a new 3/4 van with all the tow goddies and next thing you know, he's off getting a 30' Classic S/O.

Something tells me thought that John is having too much fun tinkering with his coach, so if he does go larger, I'd bet it won't be for a little while.

Eric
Old 10-08-2003, 09:20 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

1972 31' Sovereign
High Springs , Florida
Silvertwinkie, found this over at The Diesel Place website:

Quote:
In grade braking the motor will run up to 4800 rpm. The internals of the motor can handle that much rpm. My truck will turn about 4500 if you hold it in a gear (it sounds wicked too). I've seen dyno sheets where the power starts dropping off after 3700rpm. On the pulling track it doesn't seem to want to run over 3500 going down the track because the motor won't go past peak hp.
I am not sure if these folks are altering their programming to extend the RPM range. I have not tried WOT to see if it will go over redline.
Lots of Hot Sauce!
Air # 283
WBCCI 1350
Old 10-08-2003, 09:54 AM   #11
Rivet Master

Austin , Texas
Most diesels have a rev limiter that will keep you from blowing them up. Both of my Powerstrokes redline at 3400. I have gotten my truck up fast enough to peg the speedo and almost reach the programmed cut-off rpm. Keep in mind that if you have a manual trans, coming down a mountain with a load and are really serious and put on a exhaust brake you can push them well over their redlines. No way a rev limiter would work in that situation!

Pick,

My neighbor has put one of those CAT filters on his Duramax, looks to be a great setup but I am wondering, the factory Ford bowl filter elements aren't much bigger than your factory Racor and we don't have any problems so what gives? I have heard they are having injector problems so is that the reason?

Chas
Chas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2003, 11:46 AM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

1972 31' Sovereign
High Springs , Florida
Chas, the story I have gleaned from reading numberous posts is this:

The Duramax had a "few" problems with injector nozzles and needles wearing out faster than "normal" In 2002 they went to a "hardened injector nozzle". This was supposed to cure the problem. Meanwhile, it was discovered that the Racor OEM filter is only 50% efficient at filtering out particles in the 7 to 2 micron range. Caterpillar has determined through their research that particles in this range cause/contribute to premature injector nozzle wear. So they developed the 1R-0749 and 0750 filter elements that are 99% efficient at filtering down to the 2 micron range. So that is one of the poplular pre OEM filters that everyone is installing. Racor, Baldwin, and I am sure others have filters this efficient, but many have chosen the Cat filter because the elements are readily available.

Of course the big question on everyones mind is: Why does Racor not manufacture a 2 micron filter for the exlsting filter base? No one, including Racor or General Motors can/will answer the question.
Lots of Hot Sauce!
Air # 283
WBCCI 1350
Old 10-08-2003, 01:41 PM   #13
Contributing Member

It is in the driveway

I picked the truck up at noon and clickity-clicked my way home with a quick stop at the sprayed bedliner shop on the way. The sprayed bedliner goes in Friday morning. Steps are the next item to go on ... my wife will need a stepladder to get in as it is.

I managed to get much of my "under the back seat" stuff put in and the Prodigy installed before it started raining on me. I still have to install my CB.

I was sure impressed with the surge of power when merging with traffic. It snaps my head back with very little movement on the tach. It is a bit noisy in traffic, but a lot quieter than my 5.3L/Banks at speed.

I was surprised at the good ride. It does rattle you on a sharp bump, but generally it isn't noticeably harsher than the 1/2 ton.
WBCCI #9632
Old 10-08-2003, 01:53 PM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

1972 31' Sovereign
High Springs , Florida
Congrats John You are going to love it. Just curious, where you are going to mount your CB. I have not done mine yet. Not sure where to mount the antenna either.
Lots of Hot Sauce!
Air # 283
WBCCI 1350
Old 10-08-2003, 02:04 PM   #15
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Pick
Congrats John You are going to love it. Just curious, where you are going to mount your CB. I have not done mine yet. Not sure where to mount the antenna either.
I had my Cobra connection box in the overhead console in the 2001 with the connector hanging out. I think I will put the Cobra in the small overhead console in the new truck and use a through-the-glass antenna like I did before. I kept the antenna, but I would have to find new adhesive pads. I had good performance with the old setup.
WBCCI #9632
Old 10-08-2003, 02:04 PM   #16
4 Rivet Member

2004 25' International CCD
Salem , Massachusetts
Quote:
I picked the truck up at noon
Congratulations!
Is it the one with the new smaller but more powerful diesel engine?
Old 10-08-2003, 03:45 PM   #17
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally posted by KIMILI

Congratulations!
Is it the one with the new smaller but more powerful diesel engine?
6.6L, 300 hp, 520 foot pounds, 22000# GCWR

With my present trailer, I don't even need to use Tow0Haul!
WBCCI #9632
Old 10-08-2003, 03:51 PM   #18
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Pick
I was just out looking at the situation. I'll use the through-the-glass antenna at the right corner of the windshield as before and coil the excess cable above the headliner. There is space in the center where the headliner is flat to accept the long overhead console.
The little box on the CB will go in the sunglass compartment in the overhead console with the connector coming out between the console and the headliner. This will only take about half the space in the sunglass compartment and I'll conceal the metal box with some fabric. There will still be space for sunglasses.
I'll have to jury-rig some sort of hook for the Cobra microphone, maybe further back on the headliner.
Nice thing is that this gets the unit close to my right ear. On the old truck, I hung the Cobra from the sunglass compartment lid which had a perfect notch.
WBCCI #9632
Old 10-08-2003, 05:52 PM   #19
2 Rivet Member

Chas,

The common rail fuel injection systems on the newer diesels, including the Navistars used by ford, operate at up to 30,000 psi. The amount of dirt, in the 5 to 15 micron range, in USA diesel fuel at these pressures is sand blasting the injectors. Even with hardened injectors, the injectors will evenually fail. Through actual fuel analysis, you can see that 2 micron absolute filters remove these small particle. The Racor filtering system on the Duramax, as specified by GM, does not remove these particles! Many Duramax users have gone to the Cat 2 micron filter because they are available at every Cat Dealer. You will find a Cat Dealer in every small town that has a ranch or farm in the area.

The Duramax always had hardened injectors from day one. It is the Navistars that is used in the new ford 6.0 that did not use hardened injectors which led to many engine failures in their introducion year. Go to thedieselstop.com, a ford users forum, and check their archives to varify these facts.

Pahaska,

You will use the Toll/Hall Mode even with your present trailer. I use it when I'm not even pulling mine. I use it to slow down in the mountains and on flat stretches very similar to an exhaust brake. It is very comforting to be behind a dual gas fuel tanker going 35 miles an hour down a very long 8 percent grade without my foot being on the brake while pulling the 30 foot Airstream. Saves the brake pads on both the truck and the trailer.

They make a very nice CB antenna mount that is on the driver's side that matches the radio antenna mount on the passengers side. Go to the dieselpage.com and search for CB Mounts to find details and pictures. That is where I place my four foot Firestik Antenna.
Old 10-10-2003, 05:09 PM   #20
Contributing Member

Wow!

The tank was down about 1/3 and I was near a station with diesel, so I topped it up to get an idea of the mileage. To my surprise, it was 17.2 mpg for 141 miles of mostly city driving. I think this is great for an engine just starting to break in.

Today, I had the Rhino liner sprayed and a set of wheel-to-wheel chrome Weston bars installed. Maybe now my wife will be able to get into it!

I temporarily installed my hitch to measure ground to top of ball. It is about 2" too high in the lowest hole and I will probably have to get a bar with a larger drop.
WBCCI #9632