Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-21-2004, 12:07 AM   #21
Rivet Master

1984 31' Excella
Abernathy , Texas
I have the 2002 GMC 2500HD Crew Cab Duramax/Allison.
When I got it home the wife asked how I liked it...I responded it was a "beast".
It tows the 31' Excella as though it was a pop-up....70-75 is easy at 11.5 mpg into a headwind, and I have done 90 mph once.

"The Beast"
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	MVC-301F.JPG
Views:	257
Size:	60.6 KB
ID:	6113  
dscluchfc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2004, 07:21 AM   #22
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverback
John,
Where did you get the Cat filter? Did you have it professionally installed?

Thanks,
Ken
Do a search on this foruml that's where I located it. I think it is also on the diesel pages. I would answer more fully, but I am on the way to a rally and leave in 30 minutes. I just logged on this morning to tell the other moderators that I will be out of pocket.

I installed it myself. Takes a little drilling and a $5 tool to release the fuel lines.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2004, 08:22 AM   #23
Rivet Master

1993 30' Excella
whitewater , north of cheddar curtain
ford 6.0td

craftsman:

i heard that there were some problems with the 6.0 when it first was introduced, and i would expect that they have been "ironed out" by now....
norby

The only true nobility is found through giving good food to your friends- Anton Careme

beauty is in the eye of the beerholder-cosmo fishhawk

if something is too good to be true, its usually gone before i get there-mister boffo
norbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2004, 08:31 AM   #24
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Pittsfield , Maine
Mark's comment about the Chevy headlights gave me a chuckle! I'm just waiting for some aftermarket company to develop a casting that would fit the Chevys headlight recess and provide a different look.

As for the Duramax/Allison combination - as well as my dually - I can't say enough good! The dually may be a bit of an overkill - since I was originally looking at 5th wheel rigs - but it probably won't hurt in the "stability" area. The dually is great on the highway and on other good roads. It can be a bit stiffly sprung for rough roads. I don't have that much road time towing the 30' Excella yet - but I sure am looking forward to it!

2003 GMC 3500 D/A, CC, LB, 4x4 and 2000 Airstream Excella 30. WBCCI 7074
Cracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2006, 04:59 PM   #25
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
I also heard the 03 Ford had some issues that were later corrected. I just bougth a 1997 F250 long bed 7.3 diesel to tow my 'new to us' Sovereign.
AIR #005
Please visit our blogs and web pages:
OUR AIRSTREAM PASSION! BLOG
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
retired!
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2006, 05:21 PM   #26
Rivet Master

2002 27' Safari
Carmel-by-the-Sea , California
Send a message via AIM to Coastalview Send a message via Yahoo to Coastalview
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALANSD
I also heard the 03 Ford had some issues that were later corrected. I just bougth a 1997 F250 long bed 7.3 diesel to tow my 'new to us' Sovereign.
You will be happy with this model powerstroke. Ours has been a wonderful truck. Even though this generation of truck is not inter cooled, they are very reliable. Ours has a few modifications, producing more than sufficent power and a steady 16.5 mpg. pulling our trailer on the interstate. Jeff
No replacement for displacement 7.3 vs. 6.0
Coastalview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2006, 08:44 PM   #27
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
St. Hedwig , Texas
We just traded our 00 Suburban for an 06 Dodge 2500 Quad Cab with the Cummins diesel. I couldn't be happier. I have been a GM person all my adult life and have never looked at another brand until just recently. We are still in the break-in period and have not towed our 26 foot Argosy yet. Right now we are seeing 21-23 mpg without the trailer.

We talked to a lot of trailer pullers before we made the jump. Everyone liked their diesels whether it is a Dodge, Ford, or Chevy and would purchase another one just like it. With few exceptions, most of them told me not to turn my nose up at a Dodge with Cummins diesel.

As mentioned earlier by another member, be aware of where you purchase your diesel. Even when I purchase just regular ole gasoline I always go to a name brand high volume station.

We were very happy with our Suburban and it did the job very nicely. Really, I got a diesel just because I wanted one.
gaylejoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2006, 10:28 PM   #28
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Diesel pickups

Hi, [Not a Diesel fan here] All of these Diesels are very well built. As for Ford, the 7.3 L is a time tested tough engine. But the 6.0 L is very powerful and you can feel the difference when you drive one. [much faster than the 7.3 L] Although it has had some minor problems mostly computer related. I think they got it all ironed out; Great, now you are ready to start produceing the next Ford Diesel 6.4 L.
like I said, I'm not a diesel fan, but with Chevy, Dodge, and Ford You diesel people should be happy with your choice.
Many times, such as now, when talking about Diesels, I hear the word GASOLINE. Be very careful, one accidently, Diesel tank filled with Gasoline will not only stop your engine, but will kill it dead. Trust me, I have seen it first hand at the Ford dealer where I work. [unconfermed] Customers stated, "I loaned my truck to a friend and they put the Gasoline in it."

Bob
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote