Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-19-2004, 10:13 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1995 30' Limited
Ashland , Missouri
Diesel tow vehicle-tips?

After hunting for a stronger tow vehicle for our 30' '95 Classic Limited, we have found an '04 Silverado Crew Cab Duramax 2500HD standard bed truck. We'll miss our Toyota Land Cruiser and its comfort/reliability ratings, and this truck is probably over kill. We haven't driven diesel since an early 80's Suburban and swore after that experience that we'd never again. Life happens, however, and after reading posts of this Forum, learning about changes in newer diesels, searching towing weights, and insisting on the margin of error that would make us feel safer in mountain driving, we settled on this truck. So. . .what tips do we need to know to drive this new truck well for both towing and solo driving? What do we need to know about practical differences between this and a gas powered vehicle? What in your experience, do we need to do to maintain it for longest and best life? I trust your input. I know we will have a manual, but you all have the experience! I hope I hear from a lot of you. Already we have learned so much from the Forum, and this vehicle change is intimidating to us to say the least! Now, picture this grey-haired, almost retired, English teacher pulling into the parking lot at her middle school Thursday morning in this dark red monster diesel truck. Do you think I'll give the message, "Kids, get ready for heavy duty learning today!"?
Chev Silverado 2500HD Duramax/Allison, 4X4, Crew Cab
WBCCI #5013 AIR #2908
WDCU
Go, Mizzou...Tigers on the prowl!
maxandgeorgia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2004, 05:02 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

1972 31' Sovereign
High Springs , Florida
Send a message via AIM to Pick
Welcome to the diesel crowd! You will love your new Duramax diesel. A few things about diesels. Clean fuel is a must! The properties of diesel fuel are much different than gas. As such, it is important to fill your truck at high volume fuel stations. Stay away from the mom and pop stores that sell diesel. Try and fill up between 1/4 and 1/2 tank to keep cleaner fuel in the tank, as it does recirculate. After a long trip, keep the tank topped off to minimize condensation in the tank. Keep that fuel filter changed at 15K miles or less. I cannot stress this enough. If possible have an additional fuel filter installed. Your dealer may be able to help you with this.

I am enjoying 21 MPG solo on freeway trips and 13 mpg towing in areas like the hills of WVA and VA. On the flats in the Southern states I get around 15 mpg towing.
Lots of Hot Sauce!
Air # 283
WBCCI 1350
Pick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2004, 05:17 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Texas Airstream Harbor , Zavalla, in the Deep East Texas Piney Woods on Lake Sam Rayburn
What Pick said

"Keep that fuel filter changed at 15K miles or less. I cannot stress this enough. If possible have an additional fuel filter installed."

Clean filtered fuel is a must with the modern tight tolerance fuel pumps. Racor makes an excellent add on filter, but there are certainly others. I like the type with a visible fuel bowl, SOMETIMES you can see a problem developing. Back in the late 70's I had a diesel and had some problems with bugs (bacteria) plugging the filter.

Good maintenance (frequent oil/filter changes and/or oil analysis) will go a long way to insure the additional up front cost of the Diesel engine will not go to waste.

"Suck it up, spend the bucks, do it right the first time."

WBCCI # 1113
AirForums #1737

Trailer '78 31' Sovereign

Living Large at an Airstream Park on the Largest Lake Totally Contained in Texas
Texas Airstream Harbor, Inc.
87MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2004, 05:20 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

1994 30' Excella
New Smyrna Beach , Florida
I seconded what Pick said. Especially the fuel filter change. I have a cummins diesel and can tell you that nothing can mess up a diesel quicker than water and dirty fuel. As for driving, unless you equip your diesel with performance options you won't accelerate like gas engines. Keep that in mind. Be sure to let the turbo cool before turning off (consult your manual for your engine specifics). Towing is a dream with a diesel and an Airstream. You will go up mountains without problems and the weight of the truck is wonderful in keeping the trailer steady. You might think about an exhaust brake due to diesels not having any back pressure to slow down. This would be benefical if you live and drive in mountain areas. I regularly get 22-23 solo and consistently get 16 pulling our 25' Airstream at 68MPH. One thing is for sure, you will not go back to gas after this diesel. They are great!

Hope this helps some.

Bob
rcaldwel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2004, 05:37 AM   #5
1 Rivet Member

Salisbury , Maryland
We've only had our GMC 2500HD for a month and we love it so far. The Allison transmission is something to rave about too. You will find it has something similar to a "jake brake", braking when you let off the gas. In tow mode, it downshifts when you touch the brake. What little towing I've done, it drives like a dream. And it seems to have plenty of acceleration, you'll see. Enjoy!
dreamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2004, 08:51 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1977 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
1964 26' Overlander
1977 25' Tradewind
Eastern , Washington
I've had my Duamax/Allison for about a year and it can't be replaced. It will do anything I ask of it. It gets good mileage for the size and power. I find it extremely comfortable, relatively quiet and a real head turner in the truck world. I'm all the time getting comments with a touch of envy attached. It is really expensive but I do not regret it for one moment.
Old 04-20-2004, 09:39 AM   #7
3 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcaldwel
I have a cummins diesel and can tell you that nothing can mess up a diesel quicker than water and dirty fuel.
Bob
A water/diesel mix also provides "fertile ground" for bacteria to grow in your fuel tank which in turn will clog your fuel filter. Without the water, this bacteria won't grow.

- Charlie
Old 04-20-2004, 10:10 AM   #8
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
Not overkill

The Duramax/Allison combination is a real winner. I think it is a perfect match for a 30' Airstream, certainly not overkill. You will find that towing is much more relaxed because there are few downshifts and the noise level is surprisingly low.

The Allison will keep the engine right at the torque peak about 95% of the time. IMHO, an exhaust brake isn''t needed for the load you are pulling since the Allison will shift down progressively in tow/haul mode; for a diesel, it will give you very good engine braking. I have never wished for more braking than I have.

I'll second the recommendation for an aux fuel filter. I have a Caterpillar filter mounted under the pickup bed.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2004, 12:43 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1995 30' Limited
Ashland , Missouri
Thanks for all your different responses to my post. Several of you have advised an additional fuel filter. Now, remember, I am not only a newbie to diesel, but pretty unknowledgeable about mechanics in general (Georgia, speaking). Please explain. Where do I go for this? The Chevy dealer or other? What am I expecting to get done? Reasonable cost? Again, thanks for teaching this learner! Are there other general tips we should know about driving or maintenance before we do something awful to this beautiful new truck?
WBCCI #5013 AIR #2908
WDCU
Old 04-20-2004, 12:53 PM   #10
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
Drive it like any other truck; there are no special techniques required. There is gobs of torque, so be a bit careful about pulling out from a stop on a wet or gravel road; you can break the rear end loose very easily with too much throttle. You will feel the locking rear axle lock temporarily when a rear wheel slips or you start off with the wheel turned hard over.

As for maintenance, I simply follow the schedule in the manual.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2004, 02:14 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Texas Airstream Harbor , Zavalla, in the Deep East Texas Piney Woods on Lake Sam Rayburn
Diesel Filtration and More

Try this link for a full version of Racor fuel filtration:

http://www.parker.com/EAD/displayCat...oducts=changed

Good thoughts on the turbine cool down, same thing on spool up off the line, it's like another gear kicks in when the turbo gets up to speed. Another "Turbo" problem is oil leakage (loss) in the area of the turbine bearings. The problem is infrequent and not brand specific, just something to watch out for.

I would hesitate to "chip" a new vehicle (change the fuel/turbo boost parameters to enhance power), there is a good chance it would void your manufacturers' warranty, and, even though there are those that have exhibited a good track record, it (chipping) puts stresses on the engine/driveline that will reduce the ultimate life of the drivetrain.

I frequent this link:

http://www.thedieselstop.com/

It's Ford specific, but a lot of the info is Diesel in General.

I'm sure that Dodge and GM have their respective Diesel Forums.

"Suck it up, spend the bucks, do it right the first time."

WBCCI # 1113
AirForums #1737

Trailer '78 31' Sovereign

Living Large at an Airstream Park on the Largest Lake Totally Contained in Texas
Texas Airstream Harbor, Inc.
87MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2004, 03:04 PM   #12
Craftsman

Question Ford F250 6.0L PSD

Can anyone give me some opinions on the Ford 6.0L Power Stroke V8 Turbo Diesel and automatic transmission. I'll take the good and bad.This is the truck I'm leaning toward. Just want to make the right choice. My wife drives a diesel VW Golf and we both love it. Gets 50 mpg on the highway, and is very quiet.I don't see any reason to ever go back to a gas engine.

J ack
Old 04-20-2004, 03:09 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2012 31' Classic
Golden Valley , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craftsman
Can anyone give me some opinions on the Ford 6.0L Power Stroke V8 Turbo Diesel and automatic transmission. I'll take the good and bad.This is the truck I'm leaning toward. Just want to make the right choice. My wife drives a diesel VW Golf and we both love it. Gets 50 mpg on the highway, and is very quiet.I don't see any reason to ever go back to a gas engine.

J ack
I really enjoy my PS. It is a '03 model (got it in August). I have 15K miles on it. I get 11-15 with the trailer depending on speed. Same mpg around town. Highway solo can get to 20. The big difference between this and my previous V10 6.8 is POWER! I can go up some big hills around here (grapevine on I-5 and by San Bernardino on I-15) at 65+. I would not go back. Highly recommended.
Roger & Roxie (rore62) Smith (Air#178 - WBCCI#1646)
On the road!
2012 31' Classic - Nuestra casa rodante
Blog: https://www.casarodante.org - Old Airstream slides: https://airstream.casarodante.org
casarodante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2004, 05:01 PM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

1972 31' Sovereign
High Springs , Florida
Send a message via AIM to Pick
Exclamation Those Fiver Folks are NUTZ!

I just pulled this 10,000 lb gross trailer from Ohio back to Florida loaded with household goods. Let me tell you it was a load. I got the 13-15 mpg in the earlier post in this thread. The truck and I both knew the trailer was back there. Handled like a dream, (almost as good as an A/S ) but you knew the weight was back there.

With this trip, I can truthfully say, I will never own a "Fiver" and pull it with a pickup truck. I see big "Walls" coming at me on the freeway now, and wonder how those poor souls can stand it. Especially the units that look like they need a fifth wheel weight distribution hitch, if that were ever possible.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	GOOSENK.jpg
Views:	502
Size:	32.9 KB
ID:	6102  
Lots of Hot Sauce!
Air # 283
WBCCI 1350
Pick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2004, 06:35 PM   #15
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Riverhead , New York
I just have to throw my two cents in here.

You'll love the Duramax / Allison!

Check out http://www.thedieselpage.com

You will OUT-ACCELERATE any gasser pickup on the road with only a few exceptions.

Good luck!

--Chuck
funchucky1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2004, 07:40 PM   #16
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craftsman
Can anyone give me some opinions on the Ford 6.0L Power Stroke V8 Turbo Diesel and automatic transmission.
I can only say why I did not shop Ford when I looked for trucks a few months back. The reports I got from owners was not all that encouraging: poor fuel consumption, continuing problems with the automatic, and possibly more than their fair share of engine problems. Keep in mind, this is an entirely subjective, unscientific report. The experience above by caadoptees is MOST encouraging.

I don't know about your area, but here in southwest Mo., the Ford dealers are getting VERY agressive on their pricing, which might bear looking into.

Oh yes, I also bought a Chevrolet K2500 Duramax/Allison. It has been absolutely amazing in every respect. Pitty about the ugly headlamps, though.

Mark
j54mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2004, 08:00 PM   #17
3 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 87MH
I'm sure that Dodge and GM have their respective Diesel Forums.
Of course. The Dodge/Cummins one is here: http://www.turbodieselregister.com/forums/

- Charlie
Old 04-20-2004, 08:46 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1987 29' Sovereign
Sparta , Tennessee
Send a message via Yahoo to wingfoot321
I have heard rumors that Cummins diesels may be available in brands other than Dodge in the near future, which would interest me.

From the outside looking in, it appears that it took GM and Ford ten years to force Cummins to improve their 5.9 diesel. That is a long time to sit with a design in nearly any product.

Maybe Toyota is a candidate. Now that would be one tough combination.
wingfoot321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2004, 10:06 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1995 30' Limited
Ashland , Missouri
Chuck, thanks for the link to the diesel page for Chevy. I just cannot believe I am soaking in all this truck info! In addition,Wingfoot, I agree. If right now Toyota had a strong diesel in their truck that would let it compete with the one we get tomorrow, I don't think we'd have looked anywhere else. Maybe in the near future, they will join the heftier truck line and lure us back. Until then, I have to say goodbye to my LC tomorrow and adopt the 2500 HD. With the input of this forum, Iwe should be better prepared.
WBCCI #5013 AIR #2908
WDCU
Old 04-20-2004, 10:14 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2006 28' Safari SE
Currently Looking...
Colorado Springs , Colorado
Where to get aux fuel filters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pahaska
I'll second the recommendation for an aux fuel filter. I have a Caterpillar filter mounted under the pickup bed.
John,
Where did you get the Cat filter? Did you have it professionally installed?

Thanks,
Ken
silverback is offline   Reply With Quote