Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-01-2015, 08:38 AM   #101
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by 07007 View Post
I have an Andersen "No-Sway" Weight Distribution hitch and I still bounce and sway! Anyone else have this hitch and these problems?
We did but we replaced it with one that works.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 08:46 AM   #102
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
Crash while towing down the interstate.

Funny how some find Hensley designed hitches something people like because they can spend a lot of money buying them while advocating the need for a tow vehicle heavier than the trailer....

3K v. 60K, no big deal right?

J. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 11:29 AM   #103
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by avionstream View Post
Yes we all know that those expensive hitches are gods gift to rvers, now let's move on. Gets tiring to hear the same people over and over again touting theses hitches. Enough already?!

YUP! AGREED! Although I must thank all the above posters for an entertaining read this Saturday morning. While reading, I could almost feel the steam from the "flowing testosterone" as I read and chuckled over my morning coffee!

No way would. I put my 2 cents in on that discussion.....(blush)....however, I think I did just hijack it for a moment. WHAT WAS I THINKING. Excuse me while I exit! Lol! HAPPY TRAILS YA'LL! Sincerely, " a lil' 'ol lady from Colorado! God bless.
ColoradoLady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 11:36 AM   #104
Rivet Master

2015 30' FB FC Bunk
Ayer , Massachusetts
My Propride is so safe I have the safety margin for texting all the way down the highway.
Ted S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 11:44 AM   #105
3 Rivet Member

1987 25' Sovereign
Chilhowie , Virginia
Omg.
Hoobiedoobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 12:02 PM   #106
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted S. View Post
My Propride is so safe I have the safety margin for texting all the way down the highway.
That's a Hensley/ProPride problem, it only takes two fingers on the steering wheel when semi's blow by and the crosswinds are gusting.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 12:13 PM   #107
Rivet Master

2015 30' FB FC Bunk
Ayer , Massachusetts
Actually, I guess I am the odd guy out because I do feel the "push then pull" when being passed by a semi. No sway but the force is evident. Strange because we are 17,000lbs with truck and trailer and many folks lighter than us say they feel nothing.

Not that it is a problem, but we do feel something.
Old 08-01-2015, 01:24 PM   #108
2 Rivet Member

Portland , Oregon
So, if you have a PPP/Hensley, one should be able to tow at any speed in any conditions because it "prevents" sway. Cool.
Blue Ox SwayPro
Still looking at Airstreams....
MacPDX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 01:40 PM   #109
2 Rivet Member

Portland , Oregon
By the way, the trailer is a Nash. Still looks in pretty decent shape due to the quality of the construction; no bias.
Blue Ox SwayPro
Still looking at Airstreams....
MacPDX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 01:54 PM   #110
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacPDX View Post
So, if you have a PPP/Hensley, one should be able to tow at any speed in any conditions because it "prevents" sway. Cool.

Absolutely not.

See replies 80, 88 and 98 (among others) in this thread.

The driver in the video did plenty wrong. While I am confident that first sway motion we see while he's trying to pass would not have happened with a virtual pivot point projection hitch, I'm equally confident this particular driver would wreck eventually just based on the lack of skills, knowledge, respect and common sense on display in that clip. No matter what gear one uses, those elements are paramount.

I also believe Doug's texting comment lacked a "smiley face" to indicate he was being sarcastic. No one I know believes for a second any piece of gear is a license to drive like an a-hole.
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 03:28 PM   #111
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Pay no attention. It's the same group who can't and won't set up a WDH decently. Half-ass is good enough.

Same ones think a second rate brake controller like a Prodigy is as good as it gets. There's a whole list of safety concerns to run down, but one rarely sees those threads revived or linked.

Or, my favorite, buy a bigger tow vehicle because that's what's needed to stop the trailer . . instead of putting better brakes on the trailer.

When it matters one has one chance.

Unsecured objects flying around the passenger compartment and/or truck bed get just about as much attention as the above. "Survived the wreck, but killed by flying phone" (or purse contents) isn't a joke.

Etc
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 05:05 PM   #112
Rivet Master

2005 31' Classic
Garner, , North Carolina
don't tell the OTR tractor trailer guys that .. I drove a cabover in the 80's that weighed 20-25,000 and had a trailer loaded regularly 35,000 lbs all over the southeastern US. total gross was 80K.. so not so sure about that.. my 2003 f-250 SD scales out at 8200 with fuel and stuff in back.. most 28-30 ft unit scale out to 8500 to 9200 depending on unit load. its close but not a heavy TV compared to trailer.

now i would not hook up my 2005 hyundai elantra which grosses out at 3200 that would not be a good combo for sure.

and i do agree with the too fast for sure. plus tires on trailer may have been somewhat under inflated as well which can create the sway when passing a truck..

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillTex View Post
The opposite is true. You want the TV to be heavier than the trailer. Even Wally knew this back in the 50's...read his book.
Clearly speed was a factor here.
WBCCI#1691, Piedmont Airstream Club, Unit #161, Region #3
carl2591 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 07:53 PM   #113
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
NOT the hitch nor the tow vehicle...

There are many people I know that I will not ride as a passenger, operating a vehicle that is idling, non the less moving!

Tow Vehicles, Hitches, Brands of Tire, Tire Pressure, Loading, Trailer Brand... mean little when an incompetent driver is towing on the road. Highways are their "accidents in waiting" exhibited by these individuals as they maneuver among the general public.

You know them personally and avoid them while traveling. There is no application process or education requirement to be a fool.

An experienced driver can do wonders with the pieces of doodoo available at the time of purchase, provided by a RV Dealership. Yet numb nuts will prove all of us wrong about towing and hitches, while using less brain power to tow a trailer than it takes to turn the key in the ignition and engage the transmission into drive.

A tow vehicle, hitch and trailer in the control of many drivers is already an accident in progress. Our hope is that these individuals recognize their limitations, before, not after they injure themselves or others in the process.
Old 08-08-2015, 10:06 AM   #114
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
Le bal des fous furieux!

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B27d...t?usp=drive_we

(Apparently you will have to take the partial file and find it. Once I save the file some of the information is removed once posted. It is well worth the effort to track this down and watch 7 minutes of French racing.)

file/d/OB27dcecK6EOucDZDTXZTNnM1ZDA/edit?usp=drive we

Airstream owners take pride in their towing abilities and have had to avoid the "other drivers on the road". More than 4,000 miles were added to our trailer from mid June to the end of July 2015. The biggest threat to our safety were those not towing and wanting to maintaining their 20mph over the posted speed limit. This video is to celebrate all of us who have the discipline and full control of our trailer while in tow.

My suggestion to those who do like pushing the limits of their towing ability is to video tape their racing another Airstream down the quarter mile track with trailer attached. I am certain that any of the drivers on this video will volunteer to do it, with your trailer, if asked.
Old 08-08-2015, 01:33 PM   #115
Rivet Master

2013 27' FB International
El Dorado Hills , California
Speed is the problem. That guy was driving way too fast. Trailer towing is not to be confused with hurrying. I feel unconfortable above 60 mph.
kscherzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 08:46 AM   #116
2 Rivet Member

2013 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Salado , Texas
Just to (hopefully) put a little more balance into this discussion, we bought the 27' 2013 EB and intended to put a Hensley or PPP on it. In the take-home tow we found that the Equalizer that came with the AS was steady as a rock, even downhill on twisty construction lanes whilst being passed by 18 wheelers. Yes, we did experience the push-pull as the monsters passed close at hand with concrete barriers on each side, but absolutely no sway. Having pulled a lot of trailers, I can say that I was very, very impressed with the Equalizer. Of course, the sound it makes on steep turns with some slope variance is a lot like a dragon being strangled, but that just builds character!
Loden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 08:56 AM   #117
Rivet Master

2007 28' International CCD
Springfield , Missouri
If you look closely this is a old style ford F250 that has a lift kit and big custom tires and wheels.Looks like he choose tires with alot of sidewall therefore alot of flex.Great for off road use but a poor choice for large trailer towing.
Moflash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 09:44 AM   #118
Rivet Master

2015 30' FB FC Bunk
Ayer , Massachusetts
Lorden,

As a FYI, I feel the push and pull with a Propride when being passed by a semi if that helps you any.

I don't belive those who say they don't feel it.
Old 08-09-2015, 10:35 AM   #119
Rivet Master

How is it that everyone is so wrong but me….kidding

I think…..in this situation….and often many others, that there are a few causes that contributed to this accident. I have learned this when trouble shooting mechanical and electronic problems.

I was also taught this in driving school.
Wet roads…it's okay.
Driver malfunction…recover.
Faulty equipment…drive slow.
Add all those things together and a sneeze….all heck can break loose.

In this situation….High winds, driving too fast, aggressive lane change, and the vortex of a semi. Then the driver didn't apply the trailer breaks.

I have never experienced " oscillating sway "…knock wood. NOPE NOT KNOCK WOOD….I take a LONG time to change lanes. AND…I drive like changing lanes is not an option. ( In snow, I drive like I have no brakes. I refuse to tow in snow )
mandolindave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 10:45 AM   #120
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted S. View Post
Lorden,

As a FYI, I feel the push and pull with a Propride when being passed by a semi if that helps you any.

I don't belive those who say they don't feel it.
Ted,
Yes, you do "feel" the wind from passing vehicles on the HAHA or PP. What you don't feel is articulation between the AS and TV (sway)... Because there is so little that the whole "rig" feels like a single unit.

As the "wind bubble" /bow wave of an overcoming vehicle proceeds from stern to bow of your rig, the "pressure" will be felt. It actually has the feel of a boat in that you "crab" to compensate for the pressures felt and maintain your lane of travel.
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote