Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-30-2008, 12:12 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2019 22' Sport
High River , Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by cameront120
My particular Volvo would likely be underpowered to tow my trailer, but I often wonder how it would fare with a vintage bambi or Caravel. When it comes time to purchase a tow vehicle for my Tradewind, I'd prefer to avoid the pickup truck option, if at all possible.
The 850 has a solid rear axle and a relatively narrow rear track (57.5"). The P2 platform cars (S80, S60, newer V70) have independent rear suspension and a track of about 61". I'd expect better stability with a newer model, but a lightweight trailer like a Caravel would be fine with your car. A friction sway control is a good idea.

The 5 cylinder engines/drivetrains are similar in capability.

A Caravel is 2300 to 2500 lbs empty, with a tongue weight of about 300 lbs. A loaded weight of 3000 to 3500 lbs would be no problem at all. A Class 2 hitch would work, but you will want weight distribution unless you have no weight at all in the back of the car. A custom Class 3 is the solution - email Andrew T. Of course, you would need a suitable brake controller and wiring. Volvo offers a plug-in 4 wire harness that you can start with.

You will need to use 3rd gear with an automatic/4th with a manual transmission to deal with wind resistance at highway speeds. The non-turbo 5 cylinder works fine with an aerodynamic travel trailer, but a conventional square box trailer is likely to be a bit more than it could handle. Long grades shouldn't be a problem at all with 3500 lbs in tow; you will easily outpull the tractor trailers and old gas-engine motorhomes.

An auxiliary transmission fluid cooler is recommended if you have an automatic. If the radiator is in good shape, engine coolant temperature should be a non-issue.

In my personal experience, Volvos are superb cars and a great value if they are well-maintained. They are also excellent tow vehicles.

If you will be in the market for a new car, the 2008 V70 with the 3.2 inline six would have very good pulling power, and should have even better stability. I'm also wondering if Volvo will bring the D5 to North America; 300 lbs ft of torque would make for an impressively strong package. I would tend to avoid the XC70 - it has a higher centre of gravity and taller, soft-sidewall tires.
AlbertF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 12:17 PM   #22
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
North Vancouver , British Columbia
Interesting information Albert. Thank you for taking the time to write it. I wonder if the V70 would work well with my Tradewind, or would that be pushing things? I've never been a real fan of the XC70 models. May as well go with the XC90 if I want an suv.
cameront120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 02:05 PM   #23
Always Airstreaming!

2005 22' Safari
1960 24' Tradewind
Anytown , Connecticut
Send a message via AIM to rickandsandi
Tow ratings for non-SUV, Trucks is a dart throw and something I think they should stop publishing. There are so many factors to consider as we all know when towing. Of course power is one, trans, suspension, wheel-base, frame and receiver set-up, braking, and so on. If we always believed everything in car makers specs we would all be towing 31 foot Airstreams with Mini's getting 28 MPG.
Airstream Life Magazine
Proud Member of WBCCI
WBCCI #3411
AIR #17099
2009 Silverado 2500HD
2004 22' Safari
1960 24' Tradewind
rickandsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 04:15 PM   #24
2 Rivet Member

1959 24' Tradewind
BREA , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Road Ruler
Buddy, one of the forum members is already living your dream.

what a nice looking combo
my first tow vehicle was a 74 cadillac eldorado convertible.
i will try and find pics to post.
nothing like a classic towing a classic!!!!
Old 07-01-2008, 09:18 PM   #25

What do you all think about a Cadillac SRX as a tow vehicle for a 19" Bambi (newer model)?
rjohnston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 07:49 AM   #26
2 Rivet Member

1959 24' Tradewind
BREA , California
I dont think that would be an issue at all
but of course many people will tell you just to check the tow ratings. but with airstreams being so light and having such low tongue weights, i wouldnt hesitate to do it.