Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Hitches, Couplers & Balls
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-08-2008, 04:27 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1965 22' Safari
Oklahoma City , Oklahoma
Hooking up a WD hitch

Please excuse my ignorance but I have owned my Airstream for 2 days ( 1965 22' Safari ). When I drove off with it the guy told me before I went far, it had a stabilizer apparatus that really needed to be attached to the trailer and car to help stabilize it over a long drive. I have looked on the internet and haven't been able to find anything similar. Under the couch/bed I did find some black iron bars with with chains on one end and some other "jack," type equipment pieces with no instructions - He pointed to a knobby thing protruding from the front end under the front window, I believe as though it attached to something when under tow. Does any of this sound familiar to anyone? Does this apparatus have a name? I appreciate any information anyone can help me with.... The couple of miles I did drive with it, everything went great and I totally understand a stabilizer once parked.... but is there one to use while under tow?
jwilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 04:34 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

1973 27' Overlander
Southport (Panama City) , Florida
Send a message via AIM to ibgl6
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwilson
Please excuse my ignorance but I have owned my Airstream for 2 days ( 1965 22' Safari ). When I drove off with it the guy told me before I went far, it had a stabilizer apparatus that really needed to be attached to the trailer and car to help stabilize it over a long drive. I have looked on the internet and haven't been able to find anything similar. Under the couch/bed I did find some black iron bars with with chains on one end and some other "jack," type equipment pieces with no instructions - He pointed to a knobby thing protruding from the front end under the front window, I believe as though it attached to something when under tow. Does any of this sound familiar to anyone? Does this apparatus have a name? I appreciate any information anyone can help me with.... The couple of miles I did drive with it, everything went great and I totally understand a stabilizer once parked.... but is there one to use while under tow?
The knob looking thingy is possibly used for a sway bar or stabilizer connection the black bars are for weight distrubition ie moving weight evenly between all axels try using the search at the top of the page you should find some more info as I am not that familar with it I have them on mine just dont understand them but they do work....SAM

Air#15607 TAC FL-2

Good Sam (LifeTime Member)
ibgl6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 04:56 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1965 20' Globetrotter
2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
Keller , Texas
Thumbs up

First of all, congratulations on your "new" Airstream! You've come to the right place to find out all you ever wanted to know (and more) about pulling a trailer ...

The items you're describing sound like they belong to a weight-distributing hitch. Likewise, the person who sold you the trailer was describing such a hitch, coupled with an anti-sway device that will help control any sudden side-to-side movements your trailer might make while towing. When used together, these two items vastly increase the safety and stability of your rig.

Now for the fun part: there are literally dozens of combos to choose from, if not hundreds. You can learn a lot by browsing through the "Towing, Tow Vehicles and Hitches" forum, which you've already found.

I went from knowing exactly ZERO on this topic to a pretty fair level of knowledge rather quickly, thanks entirely to this forum.

I also have a '65 Airstream, and I use an Equal-I-Zer brand hitch, which combines the elements of weight distribution and sway control into one unit. It's a popular choice on this board, as is the Reese Dual-cam hitch. Google either one to find their web sites, and keep browsing these threads ... I guarantee you'll find what you're looking for.
phoenix491 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 05:09 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

1973 25' Tradewind
Romulus , New York
Let the fun begin!

What hitch did you use to tow as far as you did? The weight distribting hitch is a great safety device. Spend a little time on these forums and all your questions(mostly) will be answered. Welcome!
jayray5 is offline   Reply With Quote