Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-21-2017, 01:56 PM   #61
3 Rivet Member

2016 30' International
Calgary , Alberta
We bought our Serenity 30 in the spring, and towed with a RAM 1500 with the Hemi. It was great except on hills. We traded it in on a 2017 Ford F350 lariat diesel with the 8 foot bed, truck cap with Thule rack, and Bedrug. I'm too lazy to do all these weight calculations (although I wasn't when I was a pilot!) so I hitch up the AS and we can go where we want. No worrying about hills- up or down.

Fuel efficiency? Well, we don't care.
Poodle and two cats!
Masondood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 06:07 AM   #62
Rivet Master

2018 27' International
Southeastern MI , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowmover View Post
So that's why you bought a leaf-sprung Jayco!
If the #2 selling truck was $30k less I would probably tow with one. But it's not so why buy #2?
Countryboy59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 08:37 AM   #63
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by thurmanlinda View Post
We went back into the AS dealer because we changed our minds on the unit size and configuration. They were cool about everything and we made a better deal on a 25FB, so now I’m back to drawing board. So now I need to up the towing demands to handle 7300#, 837# hitch weight. Getting some pretty sweet quotes from CostcoAuto program. Thanks for all the info and entertaining humor. “a healthy sense of humor can dull the pain"
Hi

I think the 25' has a lot going for it. Tow wise it's not all that different than a 23'. The length difference isn't enough to rule you out of very many places (both are well over 20' and below 28').

TV wise you still can do the job with the same range of vehicles. All of the comments apply. You rule out a few specific models, but it's still the same range.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 11:41 PM   #64
2 Rivet Member

2018 25' International
Menifee , California
Setting up things- this should be helpful- Fastway 92-00-1000 Trunnion Weight Distribution Hitch is on my list regardless of which truck I get.
thurmanlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 07:08 AM   #65
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Countryboy59 View Post
If the #2 selling truck was $30k less I would probably tow with one. But it's not so why buy #2?

Well let's see.... "Truck" or "brand":

Thru 2015 thru 8/16

F Series = 494,800 units 527,874

Chev = 387,179 380,176

GMC = 141,899 146,372

GM total 2015= 529,078..and that's without a GM 4500 - 5500 conventional cab....yet....stay tuned. Total thru 8/16 GM - 526,548; F = 527,847

So number one "truck" is GM (2015), number one "brand" is F Series. Do you pull your AS with a truck, or a brand?

http://www.goodcarbadcar.net/2016/09...gust-2016-ytd/

You always have to take into account ramp up of new products as well. The ramp up of the new HDs obviously has cut into sales numbers. F - Series has these ups and downs as well. So it is rarely about who has the best truck. One should rely more on JD Power DEPENDABILITY studies than marketing and sales numbers. Those are consumer behavior numbers (driven by availability, as only one factor). Ford and GM have always been neck and neck competitors and both are best-in-class, IMPO.

(Actually 1st or 2nd is really meaningless bragging rights anyway, but as long as folks want to place importance on it, go ahead!)

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 09:33 AM   #66
4 Rivet Member

1972 31' Excella 500
2017 30' Classic
Grapeview , Washington
Best Truck

Quote:
We just ordered our new 23 foot international signature. While we wait to take delivery in December we’re looking for something to pull our new airstream. We are favoring Ford andToyota. Before we start the dealership rumble in the jungle does anyone have insights beyond the manufacturers sales brochures and d alerships sales b.s.?
Buy what you like and what serves your needs. Fortunately there is several MFG's and MFG's configurations one can choose from. I know what works for the wife, dogs, and me. New trucks today are mind boggling w/their advancements and what they are capable of, not to mention pricing.

Best regards
sbowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 09:49 AM   #67
Rivet Master

2018 27' International
Quote:
Originally Posted by dznf0g View Post
Well let's see.... "Truck" or "brand":

Thru 2015 thru 8/16

F Series = 494,800 units 527,874

Chev = 387,179 380,176

GMC = 141,899 146,372

GM total 2015= 529,078..and that's without a GM 4500 - 5500 conventional cab....yet....stay tuned. Total thru 8/16 GM - 526,548; F = 527,847

So number one "truck" is GM (2015), number one "brand" is F Series. Do you pull your AS with a truck, or a brand?

http://www.goodcarbadcar.net/2016/09...gust-2016-ytd/

You always have to take into account ramp up of new products as well. The ramp up of the new HDs obviously has cut into sales numbers. F - Series has these ups and downs as well. So it is rarely about who has the best truck. One should rely more on JD Power DEPENDABILITY studies than marketing and sales numbers. Those are consumer behavior numbers (driven by availability, as only one factor). Ford and GM have always been neck and neck competitors and both are best-in-class, IMPO.

(Actually 1st or 2nd is really meaningless bragging rights anyway, but as long as folks want to place importance on it, go ahead!)
JD power means nothing to me. I put so many miles on so fast that durability means more to me than "initial quality" metrics which measure stuff like finish and squeaks. I've actually had both Ford and GM products and both have been perfectly fine, even the "terrible" years.

I see mostly Ford, GM, and Dodge trucks on the road. All fine choices in my book.
Old 10-23-2017, 10:06 AM   #68
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Countryboy59 View Post
JD power means nothing to me. I put so many miles on so fast that durability means more to me than "initial quality" metrics which measure stuff like finish and squeaks. I've actually had both Ford and GM products and both have been perfectly fine, even the "terrible" years.

I see mostly Ford, GM, and Dodge trucks on the road. All fine choices in my book.
JD Power does initial quality rating (also not as important to me personally) but they also do 3 and 5 year dependability studies. This is the 2017 report covering 2014 vehicles.

http://www.jdpower.com/press-release...dability-study

Of course, when one shops for a current model year vehicle, one can only infer dependability, as a lot can happen in 3 years of production...improvement...quality spills...completely new model changeover...etc. But it is an indicator of an over all company's processes, progress, emphasis, etc.

This is the true industry report card for me, personally. (cause I'm a service guy). The initial quality study is VERY important, as most of the public believes that to be the "be all/end all". I find JD Power to be the most credible source if industry product performance out there.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
Old 10-23-2017, 11:26 AM   #69
3 Rivet Member

2023 27' Globetrotter
w.springfield , Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesair View Post
Look at the data, pour over the brochures, read the posts, then buy the one your wife likes to ride in. Worked for me.

Wow ,you beat me to it !!
Old 10-23-2017, 12:10 PM   #70
3 Rivet Member

2016 28' International
Perry , Georgia
Tundra
J-K Georgia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 12:18 PM   #71
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by J-K Georgia View Post
Tundra
Frozen Ground???? Toyota is a formidable competitor, but it ain't quite that simple......

Old 10-23-2017, 12:42 PM   #72
3 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
Naperville , Illinois
Quote:
We just ordered our new 23 foot international signature. While we wait to take delivery in December we’re looking for something to pull our new airstream. We are favoring Ford andToyota. Before we start the dealership rumble in the jungle does anyone have insights beyond the manufacturers sales brochures and d alerships sales b.s.?

Key issues for truck selection:
1. Realistic payload calculation. (Add 25%)
2. Check suv or truck’s payload capacity.
3. Longer wheelbase truck or SUV is safer
4. Read a lot about the subject.
(I have seen the aftermath of many trailer accidents in my 25 years of towing trailers. The majority of the wrecked trailers were towed by small suvs or trucks that appeared to be undersized for the trailer, in my opinion. )
1995 & 2004 Gary Fisher Hoo-Koo-e-Koo emergency vehicles
pt.reyesfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 01:15 PM   #73
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Open field , Idaho
Not to highjack the thread but I wonder if folks might offer an opinion on the AS/TV combo that we are starting to seriously consider.

We are pretty well settled on the 30FB Bunk for our family of 5 + pup. It seams like it would be a good fit for us all around. For TV we have been looking pretty strong at the Ram 2500 Laramie 4x4 with the turbo diesel. Fit and finish, handling are very nice. I really enjoyed the test drive we took last week.

Trailer max weight is 8800 pounds, tung weight is 900....and I don't plan to max the capacity on the trailer.
Towing for the truck is 17000 so good there, payload is 2250 pounds.

If I way over round up the kids, dog and wife and myself's weights then we have 650+ payload to spare.

Numbers look good to me. But I would appreciate any thoughts on the combo from everyone.
MrArrowhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 03:01 PM   #74
3 Rivet Member

1974 21' Globetrotter
2016 30' International
Houston , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrArrowhead View Post
Not to highjack the thread but I wonder if folks might offer an opinion on the AS/TV combo that we are starting to seriously consider.

We are pretty well settled on the 30FB Bunk for our family of 5 + pup. It seams like it would be a good fit for us all around. For TV we have been looking pretty strong at the Ram 2500 Laramie 4x4 with the turbo diesel. Fit and finish, handling are very nice. I really enjoyed the test drive we took last week.

Trailer max weight is 8800 pounds, tung weight is 900....and I don't plan to max the capacity on the trailer.
Towing for the truck is 17000 so good there, payload is 2250 pounds.

If I way over round up the kids, dog and wife and myself's weights then we have 650+ payload to spare.

Numbers look good to me. But I would appreciate any thoughts on the combo from everyone.

I don’t see any problems. My only comment on the Dodge is that their service has been subpar in my experience. I have a 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT, and have to rent a $30 per day rental every time I have to get an oil change. Never has a dealer given me a loaner, I’ve been to 4 different dealerships. The only way I have been taken care of on my loaner is if I had warranty work. Even then each dealer has given me different excuses for why the vehicle wouldn’t be covered under warranty, and I’d have to pay out of pocket. If I didn’t buy a $70k vehicle I might be more lenient. Not saying anything bad about the truck FCA fan boys and girls, just about the service experience after the fact.

Before my Jeep I had a Ford, and a GM before that. FCA has been the worst in my recent experience. I went back to Ford purely for that reason.
70CT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 03:19 PM   #75
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Open field , Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by 70CT View Post
I don’t see any problems. My only comment on the Dodge is that their service has been subpar in my experience. I have a 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT, and have to rent a $30 per day rental every time I have to get an oil change. Never has a dealer given me a loaner, I’ve been to 4 different dealerships. The only way I have been taken care of on my loaner is if I had warranty work. Even then each dealer has given me different excuses for why the vehicle wouldn’t be covered under warranty, and I’d have to pay out of pocket. If I didn’t buy a $70k vehicle I might be more lenient. Not saying anything bad about the truck FCA fan boys and girls, just about the service experience after the fact.

Before my Jeep I had a Ford, and a GM before that. FCA has been the worst in my recent experience. I went back to Ford purely for that reason.

Thanks for the feed back. Not sure how the local dealer is for service. Will have to read up on that. But they are dealer for all major US brands so not just Chrysler/Dodge. Would imagine they would get a bad rep pretty quick if service dept. had trouble with any one of the brands.
MrArrowhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 03:59 PM   #76
Rivet Master

2017 23' Flying Cloud
Bartlett , Tennessee
Quote:
I would be skeptical of that 900 pound tongue weight figure. Tongue weight should be 12% to 15% of the trailer weight. With an 8800 pound trailer, the tongue weight should be 1056 to 1320. With a payload of 2250, it is still OK, but be aware.
Bobbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 04:45 PM   #77
3 Rivet Member

1974 21' Globetrotter
2016 30' International
Houston , Texas
Quote:
Thanks for the feed back. Not sure how the local dealer is for service. Will have to read up on that. But they are dealer for all major US brands so not just Chrysler/Dodge. Would imagine they would get a bad rep pretty quick if service dept. had trouble with any one of the brands.

If I understand it correctly, every brand has their own reimbursement procedures. FCA doesn’t allow for it, so unless the dealer ponies up you don’t get it. Best to check. All the dealers I have been to with the exception of one are multi US brand dealers. Good luck!
Old 10-23-2017, 04:51 PM   #78
3 Rivet Member

1974 21' Globetrotter
2016 30' International
Houston , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbo View Post
I would be skeptical of that 900 pound tongue weight figure. Tongue weight should be 12% to 15% of the trailer weight. With an 8800 pound trailer, the tongue weight should be 1056 to 1320. With a payload of 2250, it is still OK, but be aware.

I think the hitch weight is a dry number. Our 30 Int’l is 898 dry. Dry trailer weight is 6,517 so that puts you at 13.7%. With a wet weight of 8800 that puts you at a hitch weight of Bobbo’s calcs.
Old 10-23-2017, 05:28 PM   #79
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by 70CT View Post

Never heard if a dealer giving a loaner for just anoilchange. Maybe a ride to homd or to work. But nt a loaner. Must be dif where you live.
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 05:58 PM   #80
Rivet Master

2018 27' International
Quote:
Originally Posted by avionstream View Post
Never heard if a dealer giving a loaner for just anoilchange. Maybe a ride to homd or to work. But nt a loaner. Must be dif where you live.
My Ford dealer offers a loaner for oil changes. But I do my own.