Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-28-2012, 05:24 AM   #21
3 Rivet Member

2010 28' International
Richmond Hill , Georgia
SeattleMum, see my earlier post and congrats on the ML350 purchase. Agree with Chaps about the storage even though I lived in Seattle for the better part of 30 years (retired Boeing...go 787!) and he may not realize "sun" is kind of a scarce commodity 9 months of the year! We still do all the summers we can there, most gorgeous place on the planet in the summer. Let us know your towing experience, I'm still kicking the merits of GL vs. ML but our 28 International is a bit heavier than yours and definitely more tongue weight.
jmcarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 11:25 PM   #22
1 Rivet Member

2012 27' FB International
Seattle , Washington
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmcarter View Post
SeattleMum, see my earlier post and congrats on the ML350 purchase. Agree with Chaps about the storage even though I lived in Seattle for the better part of 30 years (retired Boeing...go 787!) and he may not realize "sun" is kind of a scarce commodity 9 months of the year! We still do all the summers we can there, most gorgeous place on the planet in the summer. Let us know your towing experience, I'm still kicking the merits of GL vs. ML but our 28 International is a bit heavier than yours and definitely more tongue weight.
Oh how funny as we debated the 27' international versus the 28', as well as debating the GL versus the ML. My understanding is the difference in weight between the two trailers is about 300 pounds which seems insignificant (though admittedly I know next to nothing about these things). I believe the towing capacity of the GL is 7500 versus the ML at 7200, which again doesn't seem significant. I do like the third row of seats in the GL - I will miss that feature from time to time as I had it in my previous SUV. The main reason we chose the ML is that it's a little less expensive and the fuel economy is better. I absolutely love the larger fuel tank (25 gal I think) and I've been averaging 29.5 miles to the gallon on the freeway. I do a significant amount of driving so the fuel economy was a bigger factor in my own decision. Even with the large tank and the great mileage, I still refuel once a week Good luck in making your decision! If it's not too much trouble, would you mind telling me how to get to the more detailed post about ML towing you mentioned earlier? Thanks so much.
Lisa
SeattleMum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 12:09 AM   #23
Rivet Master

2006 22' International CCD
2007 Base Camp
Elk Valley , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleMum View Post
While I await a response from Andy, I have an additional question. Should we store the Airstream in an outside lot with the dealer, or should we look for indoor or covered storage? We live in Seattle where it rains a lot and I'm wondering if it's safe to store the trailer outside - the dealer assures me it will be fine. We're supposed to take delivery next week and we need to make up our minds soon.

We ended up buying the ML350 Bluetec which has been a pleasure to drive the past few days. We're going to have a Mercedes hitch installed at the dealer (it has been ordered) and I'm hoping Andy will give us any additional tips needed to safely tow.

Thanks for the advice :-)
It's always easier on any vehicle to have it under cover... UV and rain cause wear and tear on anything. While it is not incorrect to say it is 'safe' to store an Airstream outside... you've got a forum here with 100's of discussions on finding and fixing leaks.

So, in one way, it might be better to weather-test your trailer while it is under warranty...

If you've got storage, covered or inside, available for a reasonable price - do it. In the long run it will save you money.
Friday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 03:55 AM   #24
3 Rivet Member

2010 28' International
Richmond Hill , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleMum

If it's not too much trouble, would you mind telling me how to get to the more detailed post about ML towing you mentioned earlier? Thanks so much.
Lisa
PM Sent...
Old 06-02-2012, 07:58 PM   #25
1 Rivet Member

Seattle , Washington
Oh dear - I feel like a dork. We finally went to pick up our Airstream after having the dealer install the hitch on the ML350. After we attached the equalizer bar and backed up our SUV and got everything ready to go, the Airstream tech asked about our brake controller. My husband I looked at him blankly - we've not heard about needing a brake controller. I phoned the dealer to ask if they installed one with the hitch. They told me Mercedes doesn't make a brake controller and that we would need to have something after-market installed. I'm a little irritated because I specifically told the dealer I would be towing a 5500 pound Airstream and I said I wanted my vehicle set up to do so. However, I recognize it's my responsibility to have known.

I have to wonder why, if Mercedes makes a vehicle capable of towing 7200 pounds, they don't make a brake controller? When I asked the dealer service department, they said, "Some trailers don't have brakes". In any case, the Airstream people recommended the Tekonsha Prodigy Brake Controller 90250. Apparently buying this model will avoid having to mess with the wiring in The SUV. Does anyone have feedback on the Prodigy?

Thanks!
Old 06-02-2012, 09:10 PM   #26
1 Rivet Member

Seattle , Washington
Pics for jmcarter

The vehicle didn't appear to sink at the rear when we hooked up the trailer.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo[2].JPG
Views:	395
Size:	454.5 KB
ID:	159951   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo[4].JPG
Views:	234
Size:	395.4 KB
ID:	159952  

Old 06-03-2012, 12:42 PM   #27
3 Rivet Member

2010 28' International
Richmond Hill , Georgia
No need for embarrassment SeattleMum..even the seasoned RV veteran got there by starting on a learning curve. The Prodigy they've recommended is a good one, there are more expensive ones that have some additional features ( such as the DirectLink controller which plugs directly into your OBD port ) and you can search other threads on the topic. Would also recommend you have your dealer give you a good tutorial on adjusting your hitch and learn how to redistribute your axle weights at the local CAT scales. Given the Seattle traffic I'd hesitate to jump on 5 or 405 with a simple "it looks fairly level" and you'll want to be certain your weight distribution is real close. You've got a great tow vehicle but you simple don't have the margin for error you'd have with a big Dually. Also be aware that the European manufactures approach towing completely different and perhaps that's partially due to the small RV's dominating Europe, and that carries over to vehicles produced in Alabama or South Carolina.
Old 06-03-2012, 01:54 PM   #28
Rivet Master

2006 22' International CCD
2007 Base Camp
Elk Valley , British Columbia
I'd go with the Prodigy P3 for a 'wired' solution, but the 90250 setup is definitely the 'plug and play' solution for your rig. It plugs directly into the 7 pin harness at the back of your ML, and the controller is wireless and plugs into your 12v lighter outlet. The advantage is there is no need to wire into the ML harness like there would be with a traditional brake controller.

That said, it isn't hard to wire a brake controller... Tekonsha and others make plug in adapters for most vehicles so you don't have to cut anything... but, then you need to find somewhere on your dash to mount the controller... sometimes an issue with vehicles with lots of airbags and other gadgets up front.

The Prodigy RF (90250) will be the best... also the most expensive... but given what you've already invested, it will be a really nice controller.
Friday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 02:30 PM   #29
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
I'm on my second ML- an '05 ML500. You're going to love it.
Wayne&Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 01:25 AM   #30
1 Rivet Member

Seattle , Washington
Many thanks to everyone for your helpful posts and PM's . I really appreciate the advice.
Old 06-10-2012, 11:27 PM   #31
2 Rivet Member

Southern , Colorado
I have the Prodigy RF - and I like it a lot. After the RF purchase, I referred to the M-B service bulletin and got the plug and terminals to hook into the trailer wiring under the dash so I could use a conventional controller, but I went back to the RF after my first trip with it.
Although I strap it to the transmission tunnel "grab bars," it looks good and it's within easy reach if I want to use the trailer brakes alone or check them - it's right at fingertip.
And no holes in the dash.
The Prodigy tells me if it's not hooked up, and the ML can tell if there is a trailer light out, and display "left trailer turn bulb out."
Old 09-16-2012, 11:28 PM   #32
1 Rivet Member

Seattle , Washington
To update, the wireless Prodigy did not work in the ML350. The unit repeatedly came unpaired. They installed two different units and we continued to have the same problem. We had a towing place make one of those "pig-tails" and that didn't help either. We ended up having the P2 hardwired in and it works great.

The good news is that the ML350 tows like a dream. It's so easy to tow the Airstream that even I'm comfortable towing it! The ML has loads of power and it's easy to forget you're towing a heavy trailer. Even after our ordeal, I'm really happy with this tow vehicle.
Old 09-16-2012, 11:39 PM   #33
1 Rivet Member

Seattle , Washington
For all of those PM's asking about covered storage in the Seattle area, here is the place we rented a space from:

Safeguard Self Storage
415 Washington Ave N
Kent WA 98032
253-854-7800

There is generally a wait to get a unit but it should only take a month or so for something to become available. In the meantime, the Airstream dealer will normally let you park your trailer on their lot. BTW, the Covington dealer no longer offers the option of long-term storage on their lot due to their large inventory and the need for space.

Safeguard offers covered RV storage (almost like big carports) that have electrical at each site and a secure gated entrance. The price is $139 a month. They also offer large private storage units for $300+ a month. We originally tried the private unit but it requires backing up into a small space with precision. Given that we're newbies, this was a really bad experience that ended up with my husband and I furious with each other as we tried to maneuver the Airstream into such a tight spot. Apparently there are people who keep their trailers in the private units but it's a little beyond our abilities at this point. Hope this helps!
Old 09-17-2012, 12:14 AM   #34
1 Rivet Member

Seattle , Washington
Mercedes ML350 towing Airstream

I haven't logged on in quite a while and I had several PM's asking about our experience with the ML350 as a tow vehicle. People also wanted to know a few details specific to the Seattle area. Here's my reply with the hopes that it's helpful:

The ML350 is a fantastic tow vehicle. The technicians at the Airstream dealer were very impressed with its power and its handling. On our first trip towing the trailer, my husband was able to do a U-turn with ease. The ML350 easily gets up to speed on the freeway with very little effort and it's a solid, powerful tow vehicle. Towing the Airstream is really easy with the Mercedes.

We experienced a lot of delays and difficulty installing the brake controller into this vehicle. The Mercedes dealer did not have experience with this and it was a time-consuming and frustrating process. My advice is to find someone knowledgable to assist you with this aspect of equipping the ML350 to tow. We ended up having a brake controller hardwired into our vehicle and it works well and is easy to operate. If you live in the Seattle area and you have questions about this, I recommend you contact Dan Lamb at Airstream Adventures Northwest in Covington. He understands what the ML350 needs for a brake controller and he will be able to point you in the right direction.

When buying an ML350, I recommend you try Barrier Motors or Mercedes of Bellevue. I do not recommend Mercedes of Lynnwood.

When buying an Airstream, the Covington dealership has the best prices around, not just in the state of Washington, but anywhere in the United States. I thoroughly researched the price on our trailer and this dealer can't be beat. Our saleslady, Kathie, was an absolute delight and anyone looking to buy a new Airstream will enjoy working with Kathie. The General Manager, Steve Perry, and the Sales Manager, CJ Clark, are also very helpful and easy to work with. Dan Lamb in the service department is extremely knowledgable and he goes above and beyond to give excellent customer service. The one word of caution I have is to avoid the Service Manager, Janine, at all costs; she is impatient, rude, condescending, and has an appalling lack of customer service skills.

I gave the information on covered storage in a previous post. If anyone else knows of good covered storage for RV's in this area, I'd love to hear about it.

In conclusion, I highly recommend the ML350 as a tow vehicle. It tows the 27' International with ease and it's truly a pleasure to drive.
Old 09-18-2012, 08:54 AM   #35
2 Rivet Member

Southern , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleMum View Post
To update, the wireless Prodigy did not work in the ML350. The unit repeatedly came unpaired. They installed two different units and we continued to have the same problem. We had a towing place make one of those "pig-tails" and that didn't help either. We ended up having the P2 hardwired in and it works great.

The good news is that the ML350 tows like a dream. It's so easy to tow the Airstream that even I'm comfortable towing it! The ML has loads of power and it's easy to forget you're towing a heavy trailer. Even after our ordeal, I'm really happy with this tow vehicle.
My wireless Prodigy RF has only come unpaired once (and displayed "n.c"). It turned out that I had not fully inserted the 7 pin connector.
Now I sometimes spray the connector with silicone so it inserts more positively.
My dealer also appeared clueless about the hardwired pigtail, so I bought the parts, made one myself and installed it myself. Factory instructions are available elsewhere on this site. Cost was $17.00 and it took half an hour working slowly and deliberately. The hardest part was making sure the I didn't block the footwell A/C vent with insulation while reinstalling the panel.
After using both the Tekonsha PRIMUS IQ Proportional Controller (selected over the P2/P3 because I wanted buttons on the top) and the Prodigy RF, I liked the response of the RF better as well as the clean look and handy mounting on the console. Maybe it was the placebo effect of paying $300 instead of $100.... I also cringe at the thought of drilling holes in my interior, but that's just me.
Old 02-10-2013, 06:52 AM   #36
2 Rivet Member

1967 17' Caravel
2007 27' Safari FB SE
Landenberg , Pennsylvania
Pordigy Wireless Brake Control "Mating" Solution

I have a 2012 Mercedes ML350 (gas) and bought the Prodigy wireless brake controller to use with my Caravel. After hooking it all up we were frustrated that it wouldn't "pair". The problem is solved by plugging the 7 pin into my Pickup trucks 7 pin plug (parked on the same level ground as the ML) and then the controller will "pair" properly. This solution came from a tech at Prodigy when I called their 800 number.

So, it can be used effectively and without holes in the dash.

Hitch question---to SeattleMum:

You had a Mercedes factory hitch installed?? Did you do any extra beefing up of the hitch per the posts (i.e. CanAm welding )??
vonzellen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 12:18 PM   #37
3 Rivet Member

2010 28' International
Richmond Hill , Georgia
FYI that the redesigned 2012 ML (and 2013 GL) have vastly improved hitch structure installed at the factory (a $550 option) compared to previous generations. Andy advised that on my GL (with a 3P and 28 International) I could introduce some twisting if I really crank on the bars but just keep and eye on it and he'll add one longitudinal brace if we drop by on our summer trip to the UP. If you have a prior generation with a large trailer you must get some reinforcement done. There are threads on this forum about the specifics.

455 pounds of torque at 1600RPM is fantastic and the Bluetec is essentially a no cost option....compare that to what you pay for a diesel from the domestic brands.