Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-14-2010, 02:36 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Pine , Arizona
16' or 19' Bambi appropriate TV?

My wife and I have narrowed our choice of Airstream (our first trailer ever) to a 16' or 19' Bambi. Potential TVs are 2006 Honda Ridgeline (V6) and 2007 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (V6, 4 door, longer wheelbase model). My limited research suggests both can tow 16' with appropriate tow package. Can either handle the 19'? Thanks for any info. you can give. We want to be on the road this fall.
JustStarting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 03:35 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
Hey there...welcome to the Forums! And welcome to another AZ Streamer... We were just through Pine a couple of weeks ago with our 19'...pretty country!

I can't speak to the Wrangler, but the Ridgeline should be good...Ahab tows a 22' Sport with a Ridgeline and it does great....

We tow our 06 19' Bambi (4500 lbs filled) with an 07 Tacoma Double Cab v6 and it does fine, too...

Maybe we'll see you down the road or get you to a Four Corners Unit Rally sometime!

Happy trails!
AirForums #21900
PastPrez, 4CU/WBCCI
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 03:39 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
Honda for sure!

I would pick the Honda as long as the tow package is rated for the 19 foot trailer.
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 03:48 PM   #4
1 Rivet Member

2006 16' International CCD
Currently Looking...
Fresno , California
This is how we roll!!! We have had our 16' Airstream for 2 months and we absolutely love it!!! I have added a brake control and a superchip giving extra horsepower and torque. I am looking into re-gearing just to have alittle more power. If you have any question let me know! Good Luck!!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0184.jpg
Views:	2333
Size:	158.4 KB
ID:	110758  
Bluejaydave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 05:42 PM   #5
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Pine , Arizona
Thanks to all

Appreciate the quick responses and input. Looks like my Honda will be up to the job of a 19', with some additional work. I assumed I would have to add an electronic brake control and possibly transmission cooler. Our second vehicle is the Wrangler and would love to be able to tow with both.

BlueJayDave - Never heard of a "superchip" for the Wrangler - I'll look into it.
You've got a great looking package.

Concerned the 16' might be a bit tight for us and two good sized dogs, especially on longer trips, but would appreciate any thoughts on pros/cons of 16' and 19'. It appears 16' costs as much. Reasons?
Old 09-14-2010, 06:35 PM   #6
1 Rivet Member

2006 16' International CCD
Currently Looking...
Fresno , California
The "superchip" is built by flashpaq. It is worth the money as I have already seen an increase in gas mileage there is also a tow setting.

We have camped for the last 2 years in a Teardrop Trailer! (Picture included) for us the 16' is a huge step up.

We decided to upgrade because... we got tired of not having a potty on board. We have a 4 year old who was born with dwarfism so the average size tiolets in public bathrooms (which or not always clean) were something with her condition we didn't want to deal with. To tell the truth... I myself don't like using public tiolets.

We travel with 2 dogs... both under 5 pounds.

The 16' and 19' definetly are two different trailers. I guess at the end of the day it is what you are using it for.

We tend to take weekend trips. My wife is cutting back Fridays after the first of the year.. and I am self employed so we will be able to leave on Thursday nights and return on Sundays and maybe a couple of extended trips throughout the year.

We never feel cramped in the trailer... as it feels so much larger once you get settled in. There is more storage then you will need in the 16'.

A few things to take note. 16' vs 19' 16' has one holding tank. 19 has grey and balk so less holding space in the 16' if you are camping without hookups. 19' has a oven 16' does not, but we use an outside grill as an oven if we need to so no biggy. However the 16' has more kitchen counter space then the 19'. The tiolet/shower in the 16' is combined and the 19' is seperate. We would never use the shower in either unit so that was not a concern. (We do shower though... and most campgrounds have public showers)

As far as pricing, we bought used. Most people that own Airstreams really take good care of them and like ours that is a 2006 one would not know based on condition. With that being said we saved over $15000 if not more... letting someone else add mods and getting the bugs worked out.

I have rambled on enough... but I know when I was researching... for our trailer there were several people that went out of their way on this forum to answer questions... so now it is my turn to do the same. Either way you will love the fact that you have an Airstream!!!!

David
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC09914.jpg
Views:	666
Size:	495.8 KB
ID:	110770  
Bluejaydave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 06:42 PM   #7
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
JustStarting-
Welcome to the forums and as Terry stated, it great to have another streamer (future) from the Grand Canyon State. Next year we will be moving out of the valley and the Pine/Strawberry area is one of the areas we are currently looking to settle in.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 01:10 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

2007 20' Safari
Montrose , Colorado
If you like the 19', you might also give the 20' Safari SE a look. Basically the same size trailer and weight, but the floor plan is totally different, with a very large, well set up kitchen area. My wife and I love ours, as does our large dog. It would be another option to look at, especially if you are searching the used market for AS trailers. We have towed ours with a Toyota Tacoma and it did fine, except for being a litle slow in the mountains, so the Ridgeline would probably do OK too. That being said, we do most of our towing with a full size 1/2 ton pickup. Good luck in your search for an AS.
48Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 02:22 PM   #9
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Pine , Arizona
Thank you, David.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluejaydave View Post
The "superchip" is built by flashpaq. It is worth the money as I have already seen an increase in gas mileage there is also a tow setting.

We have camped for the last 2 years in a Teardrop Trailer! (Picture included) for us the 16' is a huge step up.

We decided to upgrade because... we got tired of not having a potty on board. We have a 4 year old who was born with dwarfism so the average size tiolets in public bathrooms (which or not always clean) were something with her condition we didn't want to deal with. To tell the truth... I myself don't like using public tiolets.

We travel with 2 dogs... both under 5 pounds.

The 16' and 19' definetly are two different trailers. I guess at the end of the day it is what you are using it for.

We tend to take weekend trips. My wife is cutting back Fridays after the first of the year.. and I am self employed so we will be able to leave on Thursday nights and return on Sundays and maybe a couple of extended trips throughout the year.

We never feel cramped in the trailer... as it feels so much larger once you get settled in. There is more storage then you will need in the 16'.

A few things to take note. 16' vs 19' 16' has one holding tank. 19 has grey and balk so less holding space in the 16' if you are camping without hookups. 19' has a oven 16' does not, but we use an outside grill as an oven if we need to so no biggy. However the 16' has more kitchen counter space then the 19'. The tiolet/shower in the 16' is combined and the 19' is seperate. We would never use the shower in either unit so that was not a concern. (We do shower though... and most campgrounds have public showers)

As far as pricing, we bought used. Most people that own Airstreams really take good care of them and like ours that is a 2006 one would not know based on condition. With that being said we saved over $15000 if not more... letting someone else add mods and getting the bugs worked out.

I have rambled on enough... but I know when I was researching... for our trailer there were several people that went out of their way on this forum to answer questions... so now it is my turn to do the same. Either way you will love the fact that you have an Airstream!!!!

David
Thank you so much for your time and insight, David. This forum has been remarkable. Have good friends with a granddaughter with Dwarfism - a beautiful little girl. Your daughter must be very special.
Old 09-16-2010, 02:30 PM   #10
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Pine , Arizona
Hope to see you in Pine / Strawberry

Quote:
Originally Posted by azflycaster View Post
JustStarting-
Welcome to the forums and as Terry stated, it great to have another streamer (future) from the Grand Canyon State. Next year we will be moving out of the valley and the Pine/Strawberry area is one of the areas we are currently looking to settle in.
My wife and I looked for a "country" home in several places, before deciding on Pine, approximately 4 years ago. Absolutely love it. Spending 1/2 time here year round and plan to try full time soon. Would be more than glad to show you around the area and give you our thoughts, introduce you to people who could assist in your search, etc. E-mail address is azbobmurphy@aol.com.
Old 09-16-2010, 02:35 PM   #11
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Pine , Arizona
Will look at Safari but........

Quote:
Originally Posted by 48Bob View Post
If you like the 19', you might also give the 20' Safari SE a look. Basically the same size trailer and weight, but the floor plan is totally different, with a very large, well set up kitchen area. My wife and I love ours, as does our large dog. It would be another option to look at, especially if you are searching the used market for AS trailers. We have towed ours with a Toyota Tacoma and it did fine, except for being a litle slow in the mountains, so the Ridgeline would probably do OK too. That being said, we do most of our towing with a full size 1/2 ton pickup. Good luck in your search for an AS.
For some reason the Bambi holds some emotional draw - Maybe it's the name!!

Thank you for the suggestion.
Old 09-16-2010, 02:56 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2017 30' Flying Cloud
2008 23' International
Keremeos , British Columbia
Hi JustStarting,
The 16' has the total cuteness factor of any trailer, but the 19' has the practicality. We had the same sleeping arrangement (head-to-toe runs side-to-side) as the 16' in a previous trailer, and it was really bothersome for the person against the wall/window. The sleeping arrangement in the 19' is much better. The bed/bath in the 19' is the same as in our 23'. We really prefer this. The bed is way easier to make, and having a sink outside the main bath area is convenient. Hope this helps!

Lisa

2017 30' FC | 2002 Chinook Destiny | 2008 23' Int. CCD (written off: hail!)
bolerama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 04:26 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
Central , Connecticut
While we're laying all options on the table, there's also the 22' Sport. (They added a Bambi badge for 2011.) We have a very similar layout in our Argosy and quite like it. Big bathroom in the back, big bed in the front, dinette on the side. It weighs less than the 19' Bambi, partly because it's narrower. (Less width inside, but easier to tow.)

Good luck in the hunt!

Tom
mutcth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 06:53 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2019 23' International
La Habra , California
Wet tow our 19ft with a Chevy Tahoe and it is a great tow vehicle for this size. People use smaller rigs out there but for me, I want the extra power and comfort of a full size SUV. We are getting 20 MPG on the highway and towing, it drops down to 13. Thats with the climate control set at a comfortable temperature inside.
Lots of choices out there, good luck.
subfan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 08:24 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Oracle , Arizona
Juststarting, the Ridgeline was designed for towing, you will not need to add a transmission cooler as it already has the biggest in its class.
Ahab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 12:14 PM   #16
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Pine , Arizona
Lots to Learn

This is an amazing forum for a novice like me. Didn't know I had a transmission cooler on my Honda!! I've got a lot to learn and appreciate the guidance.

For the type of use I think we will want - longer trips rather than shorter - the general comments are pulling us to the 19'+ range. Will start with the Ridgeline and see how it works. Will upgrade TV in the future, if we feel we need to.

Thanks to all for your help. We're excited.