Old 08-25-2004, 02:47 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic
Field and Stream , PA & MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by cynthia
Thanks to all the ideas.A/S Tech of Ohio responded with this,are you ready?Place a towel over what appears to be a screw that has worked it's way up.Then take a mallet and with a level swing hit it a few times.O.K After about a half dozen hits it appears to be flat.Go figure.Well now I will wait and see if it comes back.I can live with this.
Cynthia -

Interesting solution, to say the least.

I would wonder if it was actually a screw that you were hitting how secure your floor will be now that you've driven it in like a nail, and won't it become loose over time.

The floor and vinyl my 2004 Classic are both concerns. My vinyl had several drill holes, burn marks and gouges when I bought it, and during the past 2 months my floor has developed rather severe squeeks/creeks as well. I swear that my floor actually moves up and down when you walk on it.

Be careful with what you've been told here about vinyl repairs, should you need to go that route, and good luck!

John

Old 08-25-2004, 09:53 PM   #16
4 Rivet Member

2004 25' Safari
John your would remark about the floor in your 04 Classic brings to mind our floor in the 04 Safari. Perhaps it's just me, but I swear I can feel soft spots in ours. They seem to be just in front of the first axle, nest to the range & are to me, quite noticeable at times. I'm been wondering if it's the way I have the unit sitting & perhaps not stablized right. Since we have only been able to use the unit a time or two I am unable to really tell. It's something I intend to watch closely b/4 warranty expires.
Best,

Bogfrog & Mr. Turbo

If in life you stumble, make it part of the dance
WayWard Wind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2004, 05:17 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic
Quote:
Originally Posted by A.E. Milliman
John your would remark about the floor in your 04 Classic brings to mind our floor in the 04 Safari. Perhaps it's just me, but I swear I can feel soft spots in ours. They seem to be just in front of the first axle, nest to the range & are to me, quite noticeable at times. I'm been wondering if it's the way I have the unit sitting & perhaps not stablized right. Since we have only been able to use the unit a time or two I am unable to really tell. It's something I intend to watch closely b/4 warranty expires.
Best,
I believe mine has soft spots in the floor as well, and I'm pretty sure it's not due to the the trailer being unstabilized.

I don't know why Airstream uses 4x8 sheets of plywood for the floor (or whatever size plywood they are using. Perhaps because it's cheap, or because that's what they've used for the past umpteen years. I would think there are better flooring materials available, and ones that could be obtained in a single piece for the entire trailer length, rather than 4' wide plywood sections.

John
Old 08-26-2004, 05:34 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Huntsville , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyfisher
...and ones that could be obtained in a single piece for the entire trailer length, rather than 4' wide plywood sections.
#1 - I thought the new Airstreams (at least the ones with a sheet vinyl floor) have a single piece floor.

#2 - I thought you bought a new Airstream.

What do I have wrong here?

Thanks,
Tom
Old 08-26-2004, 05:48 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic
I have a 2004 30' Classic Ltd.

Unless I am mistaken, I understood they were using regular plywood sheets (5/8" or 3/4"?) when I took a factory tour this past June. I also had a rather lenghty discussion then with one of the factory managers there about their choice of flooring materials.

Anybody have more or better info on this?

John
Old 08-26-2004, 06:00 PM   #20
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Tampa Bay , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64 Send a message via Skype™ to thenewkid64
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcwilliams
#1 - I thought the new Airstreams (at least the ones with a sheet vinyl floor) have a single piece floor.
Tom,

My understanding is that the coaches that are 100% vinyl floor are one piece sub floor (sub 25 foot). The longer trailers that have a mix of flooring materials still use the plywood. IN the 80's when OSB was new they were making the floors one piece no matter the length of the trailer from what I have seen.

WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote