Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > Floor Finishes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-18-2004, 01:44 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Question Screw coming thru vinyl

My 2004 has a screw pointing up in the center of the floor.You can feel it and see a raise in the vinly flooring.Help this is brand new and I am afraid the dealer might cut a hole in the center of the floor.
cynthia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2004, 05:30 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2005 28' International CCD
Pagosa Springs , Colorado
That's tough one. What's the lesser of two evils, drop part of the belly pan & insulation to see if you can get to it from underneath or cut a hole in the floor. Depending on where it's at maybe a throw rug could hide it if you're unable to putty and blend in the cut. Are you sure it's a screw? Could be a rivet or just some debris left on the floor before the vinyl in which case you wouldn't be able to get to it from underneath.

Tin Hut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2004, 10:27 AM   #3
Rivet Master

After we pulled up our new carpet to put vinyl down it was unbelievable how much crud was under the carpet mat. We really had to super clean the plywood we put down before the vinyl. Tin Hut is probably right about some debris under the vinyl. The only option is to have the dealer cut out a patch or just a small slit and remove the junk. I have repaired vinyl (patched) years ago in our kitchen and if you take your time and are very careful you can't even detect where the patch was. Good luck.
Tinsel Loaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2004, 10:43 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Huntsville , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinsel Loaf
... The only option is to have the dealer cut out a patch or just a small slit and remove the junk. I have repaired vinyl (patched) years ago in our kitchen and if you take your time and are very careful you can't even detect where the patch was.
Go with the small slit. Then if it looks bad, consider the patch.

The problem with patching sheet flooring in an Airstream is the temperature extremes it goes through during it's life. Your kitchen's temperature is usually controlled better during the course of a year than your Airstream's temperature is.

Sorry to say I hold little hope of a patch in an Airstream floor looking good after a few seasons. The "slit" idea is more promising since there is less cutting involved.

Good luck!
Tom
TomW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2004, 01:17 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
bay city , Michigan
here is an idea

make the dealer fix it right! did you pay good money for a new trailer or did you plan on having to worry about the flooring for the next 10 years. stand on the dealers head you did not put what ever it is under the floor. insist that they replace the whole piece what do you have to loose, worst case they fix it half ass like they where going to any way.
FireFighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2004, 09:23 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

Thanks for the replies on my screw.I have no idea what to do yet,I am just not to sure about the dealer.
Old 08-20-2004, 05:50 AM   #7
4 Rivet Member

2001 30' Excella
Bedford , New Hampshire
fix it right

When you gave your money to the dealer, it was perfect in every regard. It didn't have any flaws, it was not any less spendable, it could be freely exchanged anywhere they wanted.

Why should you expect anything less in return for your money?

Just a thought.

Mark
Old 08-20-2004, 06:13 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Putnam , Connecticut
Since you are the original owner it is under warranty, make them fix it. This is "workmanship". If it isn't right call the factory. Do not step in that area before it's fixed and when they fix it you "must" be fully satisfied. Do not accept "the best we could do" Tell them you want the trailer replaced.
You could take it to the factory and have them fix it.
Good luck. You paid for the best it should be flawless.
Over59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2004, 09:39 AM   #9
4 Rivet Member

Well California is a long way from Jackson Center , but I had the same problem in my 2004 AS , luckily I live 3 hours from factory. I took it back and had A complete new vinyl floor and carpet replacement done which required a complete interior removal. I can tell some places are removed and replaced but I think anyone else would be hard pressed to tell any difference between this and any other new one. dont accept less tha perfect repair. If you go with the slit it will bother you forever.
S/OS #010
2004 30ft Slide Out with Hensley Arrow hitch.
Pulled by a 2019 F350 Superduty Limited.
ctdair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2004, 07:57 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

I contacted the factory,no reply yet.I can wait on them I am under warrenty for 21 more months.
Old 08-21-2004, 12:15 AM   #11
Rivet Master

Stay on it and don't back off. A new unit should be repaired properly by the dealer.

John G
System: Jordon 2020 Ultima Brake Controller
Hook-Up: Equalizing Hitch and Sway Bar
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2004, 06:39 AM   #12
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Depending on the dealer out your way (which some folks can comment about I'm sure), if it is a screw, I'd want to see it from the bottom, however, if it is not a screw, the odds are that there is some crud under there. I would wait to see what the factory says.

My exp has been that the factory will respond and come up with a satisfactory solution for you. If you don't get an answer (which I'd find hard to believe), send me a PM.

BTW, keep in mind that it's a judgement call on what you should do once you have the options in front of you. Our floor had 1 or 2 small drill holes in it and it was patched with a caulk type material. I looks OK but the crux of it is this. If it were bad enough, I'd have them re-floor it as I have heard Airstream has done in the past. Keep in mind though that it would require gutting the coach in some cases. When that happens things tend not to re-seat and can come loose. As an example, we had a leak in our coach when we went to pick it up near the factory. The dealer and the factory provided the best support they could which we appreciated and were satisfied with the end result. They found a questionable area, fixed it, no more leak (which is a whole 'nother story....), but then had to remove the dinette seats to re-cover them as they were damaged by the water. When I go to the factory to solve some of the nickel and dime issues, having them re-secure the dinette seats will be on the list as they keep coming loose and creeking when used.

FYI.....
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2004, 12:00 PM   #13
2 Rivet Member

Thanks to all the ideas.A/S Tech of Ohio responded with this,are you ready?Place a towel over what appears to be a screw that has worked it's way up.Then take a mallet and with a level swing hit it a few times.O.K After about a half dozen hits it appears to be flat.Go figure.Well now I will wait and see if it comes back.I can live with this.
Old 08-24-2004, 12:51 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Putnam , Connecticut
Glue air bubble.
Over59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2004, 01:47 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic
Field and Stream , PA & MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by cynthia
Thanks to all the ideas.A/S Tech of Ohio responded with this,are you ready?Place a towel over what appears to be a screw that has worked it's way up.Then take a mallet and with a level swing hit it a few times.O.K After about a half dozen hits it appears to be flat.Go figure.Well now I will wait and see if it comes back.I can live with this.
Cynthia -

Interesting solution, to say the least.

I would wonder if it was actually a screw that you were hitting how secure your floor will be now that you've driven it in like a nail, and won't it become loose over time.

The floor and vinyl my 2004 Classic are both concerns. My vinyl had several drill holes, burn marks and gouges when I bought it, and during the past 2 months my floor has developed rather severe squeeks/creeks as well. I swear that my floor actually moves up and down when you walk on it.

Be careful with what you've been told here about vinyl repairs, should you need to go that route, and good luck!

John
Old 08-25-2004, 08:53 PM   #16
4 Rivet Member

2004 25' Safari
John your would remark about the floor in your 04 Classic brings to mind our floor in the 04 Safari. Perhaps it's just me, but I swear I can feel soft spots in ours. They seem to be just in front of the first axle, nest to the range & are to me, quite noticeable at times. I'm been wondering if it's the way I have the unit sitting & perhaps not stablized right. Since we have only been able to use the unit a time or two I am unable to really tell. It's something I intend to watch closely b/4 warranty expires.
Best,

Bogfrog & Mr. Turbo

If in life you stumble, make it part of the dance
WayWard Wind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2004, 04:17 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic
Quote:
Originally Posted by A.E. Milliman
John your would remark about the floor in your 04 Classic brings to mind our floor in the 04 Safari. Perhaps it's just me, but I swear I can feel soft spots in ours. They seem to be just in front of the first axle, nest to the range & are to me, quite noticeable at times. I'm been wondering if it's the way I have the unit sitting & perhaps not stablized right. Since we have only been able to use the unit a time or two I am unable to really tell. It's something I intend to watch closely b/4 warranty expires.
Best,
I believe mine has soft spots in the floor as well, and I'm pretty sure it's not due to the the trailer being unstabilized.

I don't know why Airstream uses 4x8 sheets of plywood for the floor (or whatever size plywood they are using. Perhaps because it's cheap, or because that's what they've used for the past umpteen years. I would think there are better flooring materials available, and ones that could be obtained in a single piece for the entire trailer length, rather than 4' wide plywood sections.

John
Old 08-26-2004, 04:34 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Huntsville , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyfisher
...and ones that could be obtained in a single piece for the entire trailer length, rather than 4' wide plywood sections.
#1 - I thought the new Airstreams (at least the ones with a sheet vinyl floor) have a single piece floor.

#2 - I thought you bought a new Airstream.

What do I have wrong here?

Thanks,
Tom
TomW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2004, 04:48 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic
I have a 2004 30' Classic Ltd.

Unless I am mistaken, I understood they were using regular plywood sheets (5/8" or 3/4"?) when I took a factory tour this past June. I also had a rather lenghty discussion then with one of the factory managers there about their choice of flooring materials.

Anybody have more or better info on this?

John
Old 08-26-2004, 05:00 PM   #20
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcwilliams
#1 - I thought the new Airstreams (at least the ones with a sheet vinyl floor) have a single piece floor.
Tom,

My understanding is that the coaches that are 100% vinyl floor are one piece sub floor (sub 25 foot). The longer trailers that have a mix of flooring materials still use the plywood. IN the 80's when OSB was new they were making the floors one piece no matter the length of the trailer from what I have seen.
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote