Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Running Gear - Axles, Brakes, Wheels & Tires > Shocks
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-20-2011, 02:45 PM   #1
RMB
3 Rivet Member

2010 23' International
Saturna , British Columbia
Airlift suspension booster

I just installed a pair of Airlift air bags to the rear coii springs on my Dodge RAM 1500. They dont increase your load carrying ability of course, but they went a long way to smooth out the ride on rough roads when towing my AS. No bottoming out, no cyclical bouncing and a smoother ride all around. I recommend them! Easy to install and a very affordable price.

Oh, and BTW, I am not involved with, work for, hired, paid, or know anyone at Airlift!

Cheers!
Old 06-20-2011, 03:03 PM   #2
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMB View Post
I just installed a pair of Airlift air bags to the rear coii springs on my Dodge RAM 1500. They dont increase your load carrying ability of course, but they went a long way to smooth out the ride on rough roads when towing my AS. No bottoming out, no cyclical bouncing and a smoother ride all around. I recommend them! Easy to install and a very affordable price.

Oh, and BTW, I am not involved with, work for, hired, paid, or know anyone at Airlift!

Cheers!
And if your using a load equalizing hitch, the air bags totally defeat it's purpose.

If your not using a load equalizing hitch, the air bags in no way, are a substitute for it.

Airs bags are for truck loading, not for trailer towing, since they cannot transfer any weight to the front axle of your tow vehicle.

Sorry.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 03:27 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

1985 31' Excella
Fresno , Texas
I have read that that is a bad combination if you are using a equalizer type hitch unless you have no more than 20 pounds of air pressure in them. Read This fore more information.
Wsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 04:04 PM   #4
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
IMHO.. There is no inherent advantage in adding air bags to improve towing.
Old 06-20-2011, 04:14 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2011 34' Classic
Westchester Cty.NY , / Miami FL
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMB View Post

Cheers!
how much of a load are you carrying that you're bottoming out? it sounds like the rear springs need to be replaced.
Ingrid-my unofficial '"World's Oldest Streamer" 1909-2008 R.I.P.
richinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 08:28 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Currently Looking...
Durango , Colorado
I just installed a set of Firestone bags to handle a pop top camper and an open car trailer. I also used AirLift bags on an F-250 used for towing a fifth wheel car trailer. I'm running 70# with the camper/car trailer and will drop the pressure to 10 or 15 pounds with the AS and the WD hitch
Denis4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 06:19 PM   #7
steel/aluminum fabricator

2004 22' International CCD
Penticton , British Columbia
Yea. I have an airlift as well on my tacoma. Love it.
zedex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 07:01 PM   #8
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Los Alamos , New Mexico
Have you weighed the axles with and with out the bags inflated? If it affects the balance front to rear then deflate and adjust the WD hitch.

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 12:46 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Currently Looking...
Durango , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecatsandi View Post
Have you weighed the axles with and with out the bags inflated? If it affects the balance front to rear then deflate and adjust the WD hitch.
The worst thing you can do to air bags is to deflate them totally. Leave at least five or 10 pounds of air in them, otherwise you'll need to replace them
Denis4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 06:25 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
I use air bags on the rear of my 3/4 ton Dodge, long box extended cab pickup. The truck is only 1 foot shorter than my 26' Argosy; it also outweighs the (dry) trailer by 1500#. Even when loaded and ready for the road, the truck is heavier than the trailer. I don't use an equalizer hitch and have never had a problem.
I use the air bags to offset weight in the bed of the truck as well as to get the correct hitch height because of that weight and the tongue weight.
I believe that equalizer hitch systems are necessary when the TV doesn't have the size and weight necessary to pull larger trailers. I recently saw a triple axle AS being towed with a Lexus SUV. I could not believe my eyes.
It took me back to the old AS add where a guy is pulling an AS with a bicycle. Funny how they never show him going down hill. lol
We do most of our traveling on 2 lane highways at speed of around 60 mph. Never had a problem meeting or being passed by a semi truck or even passing a truck.
Again, I think it depends on your rig.
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 08:17 PM   #11
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Los Alamos , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denis4x4 View Post
The worst thing you can do to air bags is to deflate them totally. Leave at least five or 10 pounds of air in them, otherwise you'll need to replace them
I am aware of that. I had Ride-rite on my truck until I had a goose neck installed. Mine were 5 PSI min.

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 11:30 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2023 16' Basecamp
Currently Looking...
Chgo. N.W. Burb's , Illinois
Have Equal-i-zer Control System and Air lift manual system. Have used on F-150 towing SOB and on 02 and 07 Chevy Avalanche towing AS. No Problems. PSI is about 20.
I called Equal-i-zer after seeing orig.post and confirmed, no problem if set up Correctly!!
knunut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 11:17 AM   #13
Rivet Master

1978 25' Tradewind
Metro Phoenix , Arizona
I'm with Andy on this one. Set your hitch rigt and the air bags aren't either necessary or desirable.
Old 06-03-2013, 04:56 AM   #14
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Aw shucks...They told me I could carry an additional 5000lbs.

Be careful of all the hype.

Bob

===============================================

On Sep 7, 2011, at 12:34 PM, INFO @ SuspensionConnection wrote:

The Firestone air bags will increase your weight carrying capacity by
5000 pounds. I definitely recommend this system for your Burb:
Chevy Firestone Air Bags - 2000-2009 Chevy Suburban

Thanks

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Sunday, September 04, 2011 10:59 AM
To: info@suspensionconnection.com
Subject: Airbag Chev Suburban

I am wondering how much more payload I will gain by adding rear bags to
my 06 3/4 Burb. Not sure of what the "level load capacity" of the Burb
is now.
I am concerned about overloading the axle as I tow an RV. How much would
I gain by upgrading the suspension with a quality air bag system.
Look forward to your recommendations.

Thank You,
Bob
===============================================
Old 06-07-2013, 08:25 AM   #15
TinCan

2016 30' Classic
Apache Junction , Arizona
I can't see where air bags would affect towing capacity. I just think they would smooth out the ride and help with levelling and perhaps save a little wear and tear on the springs.
Old 06-07-2013, 11:23 AM   #16
LL2
2 Rivet Member

2012 27' FB International
Spokane , Washington
I use my airbags to raise the rear end of my truck when dropping my trailer to be able to get extra pilings under my tongue so I can level the trailer in my driveway parking area. (My driveway has a drop off) I deflate them to 15-20 when towing using an accurate gauge. The truck seems to tow better with less "bobbing" when under tow.

The equalizer was setup by my dealer and I have had great success with their setups. Thanks for the document Andy! seems like I wasted money for these airbags but at least I get some us out of them for the parking piece.
LL2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2018, 01:24 PM   #17
1 Rivet Member

santa barbara , California
we just got a 30' classic and now need to take it in and out of a rather steep driveway with a hump in it, don't want to drag.Planing on buying a 2500 pickup. read on a form adjustable air bags may help, also may like sway bars for the open road. Would bigger tires, lift kit, drag wheels, all of the above? help ? THANKS
30air is offline   Reply With Quote