Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > General Interior Topics
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-05-2009, 09:04 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Classic
N/A , Texas
Twin Bed Trailers

I have a couple of questions about the newer trailers that have the twin beds up front.
Since they have doors on the outside that open up under the beds on each side of the coach do the beds also lift up like the beds on the queen models?
The twin bed specs show them to be a few inches longer. I have a problem with the size of a queen not being long enough. Are the twins truely longer, or are they longer because of the curve of the walls and not really any more comfortable for tall people.
Bluto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 09:34 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Byhalia , Mississippi
At 5'9", I"m not the one to talk about tall but I can say there is no lift up storage. Both beds have drawers underneath. I thought both the queen and twin were listed at 75" long.
Old 07-05-2009, 11:45 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Classic
N/A , Texas
Roadtoaster, I have never actually seen the twin set up except for the brochure. But I have tried the queen size bed and find it a little too short. When I looked at the new info out on the 2010 27FB I see that the twin measures 34x78 and the queen is 60x75. That 3 inches could make all the difference to me, providing I would not loose it because it hugs the wall instead of being in the middle of the trailer like the queen bed.
Since your beds do not lift, does your trailer have the outside access doors also?
Old 07-06-2009, 08:00 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

2009 27' FB International
Silsbee , Texas
Bluto,
Having just purchased a 09 27FB with twin beds I went out and measured the beds, they are 78 inches at the long side and as the mattress follows the curve you lose alot of length. They do not lift up, but have a drop down drawer underneath as Roadtoaster stated.
Craig Schrader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 08:55 AM   #5
4 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Dexer , Michigan
We just purchased a 25' FB with twin beds. With this config you get an extra outside storage compartment too!

Facing the tongue of the trailer, under the left side bed there are two flip down doors with good sized bins that pull out. We have our towels stored in one. The other is empty right now. Under the right side bed there are also two flip down doors with bins but one is not as deep as the left side. Still large enough to hold a good sized snap container with all our walkie talkies. Nice storage!

With the twins it is very easy to get to the overhead storage in the bedroom. As for size - The extra length is great! My hubby is 6'2" and he fits fine! On the 'queen' while shopping for our dream AS his feet hung over the edge a bit.

Our sons used the twin beds like twin couches during the day. Lots of lounging. In the morning after hubby and I were up, they left the dinette and couch beds and headed back there for a few more hours of sleep.

Hubby and I are very happy with out twin beds and twin sons~!
tksbaskets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 10:28 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Classic
N/A , Texas
I figure that the twin set up will work for me. Now I just have to go look at one and try out the bed for comfort and fit. I'm still a long way off from getting a new coach but when I'm ready to pull the trigger on another trailer I'll know exactly what I want.
Thanks for all the comments.
Old 07-19-2009, 08:33 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Byhalia , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluto View Post
Roadtoaster, I have never actually seen the twin set up except for the brochure. But I have tried the queen size bed and find it a little too short. When I looked at the new info out on the 2010 27FB I see that the twin measures 34x78 and the queen is 60x75. That 3 inches could make all the difference to me, providing I would not loose it because it hugs the wall instead of being in the middle of the trailer like the queen bed.
Since your beds do not lift, does your trailer have the outside access doors also?

Sorry I missed this. Since I did the conversion to twin, I have the original outside access door on the road side. I had AS of Arkansas add the access door to the rear. I chose not to add an access door to the curb side as I wanted a deeper under bed drawer
Old 07-19-2009, 08:46 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

2007 25' International CCD FB
Gahanna , Ohio
Do the twin beds sleep flat? In other words they're not pitched toward the aisle or outside wall are they?

We have the cross sleeper FB and after ~2 years of On-Road-Experience, we sure would appreciate having twins. It's about a $5k conversion at JC. We're still thinking about it. It might be cheaper than trading for a different trailer in the near future?

cheers,

yakman
yakman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 10:43 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
The twins are flat and parallel to the floor. As always with Airstream's weight conservation (limiting under-cabinet dimensions and plywood under the mattress), there is about 3-4" of mattress that overhangs the platform. I suspect you see the same with a queen. This produces some creep when sitting on the edge of the mattress. And we have to hold bedding out of the way when closing the drawer-doors underneath. Neither of these issues affect sleepability. We're very comfortable with ours!

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 12:29 PM   #10
4 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Dexer , Michigan
Ditto to Bob's comments above. You just need to make sure your center of gravity is not on the edge of the bed

I did feel a bit like I was rolling to the middle of the AS when laying down but I think again it was the edge of the bed overhang issue. When I scooted my COG back towards the wall didn't feel like I was rolling.

That three inches of length is wonderful PLUS the feeling of spaciousness as you can walk all the way from the front to the back of the Airstream. It was nice to be able to stand in between the beds to pack clothes in the overhead bins and getting dressed. If we had chosen a 'queen' bed configuration I guess you'd have to stand in the hallway to dress and kneel on the bed to fill the overhead cabinets.

Gotta love the extra exterior storage compartment too!
tksbaskets is offline   Reply With Quote