Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-17-2009, 08:32 AM   #1

Currently Looking...
Stevensville , Montana
Twin vs. queen bed questions

We currently own a Komfort trailer with a queen bed, but am interested in Airstreams among others for our next trailer. While my wife and I camp quite a bit in the summer, I also use a trailer for hunting (sometimes with a buddy). While the queen bed setup is fine for my wife and me, it seems like the twin bed option has advantages. Those advantages seem to be: more and easier access (larger cargo doors) to exterior storage under each twin bed, easier to make beds, more conveninet when camping with someone other than spouse, wider aisle compared to 2 narrow aisles on each side of a queen, etc. We know a couple who actually prefer theis arrangement over a queen for camping. I would like to hear any and all comments regarding this topic.

For those with twin beds, how wide are they - 32, 34, 36"?

Thanks.
tberkhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 10:02 AM   #2
1 Rivet Member

Holladay , Utah
The twins are 32" by 78". I use my A/S for hunting as well, but I have a the queen bed. I let my hunting buddy sleep inside only once; he used the dinette folded into a bed. That was a mistake, he snored so loud I couldn't sleep. I snore too, but its my A/S so I am entitled. After the first night, we both tried to fall asleep first so the others' snoring wouldn't be noticeable. He usually won. But we both got an elk, mine was about 80 yards from the trailer. Reminded my of the old Groucho Marx joke, "I shot an elk (elephant) in my pajamas. How it got in my pajamas, I'll never know".

You point out some very good arguments for the twin over the queen. The queen is a bit short if you are over 6' tall, and the twin is 5" longer. Overall, I guess I like the extra width when I steep alone, and like to feel my wife next to me when I don't. But I think I would be happy with either set-up. It is definitely easier to access the storage under the twin beds than the queen. You pays yur money and ya takes yur choice.
jmallgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 10:53 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1978 Argosy Minuet 6.7 Metre
1989 29' Excella
Lorain County , Ohio
Send a message via AIM to loudruff Send a message via MSN to loudruff Send a message via Yahoo to loudruff
twins

Larry and I have a new to us '89 Excella 29 footer with twins. I sleep with a CPAP machine (air compressor with a hose) for obstructive sleep apnea and the hose is always in the way. If I don't use it I get headaches and snore loudly! We have a king at home so it is not an issue. The twins work in the AS. Larry is tall and has found the beds are fine for his length. If we want to be cozy and cuddle the front couch makes down into a double. It works! I think there are also several members here that have reworked their rigs from twins to queens and also from queens to twins. So it is do-able either way with a little elbow grease. My advice is to go to an informal rally in your area and lay down on a bunch of them before you decide.
I guess you need to find outif your buddies are snorers before you decide the sleeping arrangements. LOOL
Air #2695
TAC- OH 2
#1420 NOVA 4-006 Charter member

loudruff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 11:49 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by tberkhouse View Post
We know a couple who actually prefer this arrangement over a queen for camping.
And you've just met another. Are you thinking older or newer Airstreams? On new ones the side of the mattress overhangs the plywood platform by a couple inches. This is supposedly a weight saving measure but it causes the mattress to creep gradually. College dorm (long) twin sheets fit these mattresses just fine. J.C. Penney is one consistent source for these.

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 01:23 PM   #5
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
If you were in a small tent with another guy, you'd put down your sleeping bags in a space as small or smaller than a queen bed and not think anything of it. So, see the queen bed as a tent floor, put down your sleeping bags and forget about the guy next to you.

And, ask your wife what she wants.

Of course, if you go to Brokeback Mtn., all bets are off.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 01:53 PM   #6

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
We've had both in newer Airstreams. The downside of the twins were the curved corner, and being next to walls which in cold weather make those beds cooler. Also the cabinet hangs over the end which means your head can only be on the curved end. Nice side is lots of room between the beds and the center rear cabinet which allows you to lay things on top.

Queen bed, bad side is it's a little on the short side (for me). And the need to walk around it. Obviously the sleep pattern of your partner may also affect your comfort level.
Nice storage in each rear corner on the tall cabinets.

I think if it were Patty's choice, we would probably opt for the twins. Mostly due to the ease of navigating the bedroom area.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 02:06 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
1973 27' Overlander
1963 19' Globetrotter
Naples , Florida
My 73 has twins,the 77 has a full,I much prefer the twins. Dave
easyride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 02:52 PM   #8
USN/LAPD Retired

2005 25' Safari
North Las Vegas , United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawfordGene View Post
If you were in a small tent with another guy, you'd put down your sleeping bags in a space as small or smaller than a queen bed and not think anything of it. So, see the queen bed as a tent floor, put down your sleeping bags and forget about the guy next to you.

And, ask your wife what she wants.

Of course, if you go to Brokeback Mtn., all bets are off.

Gene
LOL

Thanks, I needed that !

R/
Rick

"Better to have more then you need, then need more then you have because you don't have enough!"
AIR #: 8129
Safari-Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 03:26 PM   #9
1 Rivet Member

Columbus , Indiana
We have a queen at home and twins in the Airstream. Both of us like the Airstream better. Sex is great, even in a twin. But sleeping is better in a twin
wc3780 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 03:33 PM   #10
4 Rivet Member

2005 25' Classic
Austin , Texas
We have twins in our AS and it works real well. The extra space between the beds makes it easier to move around. At home we sleep on a king, so we feel crowded in a queen. Also, with the short queen, I do not like my feet hanging off the end of the bed. As far as being cooler with the twins, I think it is not an issue with our Classic with the carpet on the walls. We have dry camped in temperatures down to 19 degrees F and did not feel cold. The outside storage under the twins is a real benefit too.

Dennis
dstalzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 06:10 PM   #11
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Extending the bed

We made the queen longer: I added some 1/4 oak plywood to the end of the luan plywood the mattress rests on. This added about 4". Then, after moving the mattress down, we stuffed something in the space at the top of the mattress. Since there's no weight at the top 4", this is not a problem. This also means you can use standard queen sheets on the bed instead of the more expensive RV queen sheets.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wc3780 View Post
We have a queen at home and twins in the Airstream. Both of us like the Airstream better. Sex is great, even in a twin. But sleeping is better in a twin
I'm glad sex is great in a twin bed, but before and after is better in a queen bed. Sleep is voluntary.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 06:50 PM   #12
4 Rivet Member

1985 34' Limited
1960 24' Tradewind
Summerville , South Carolina
My wife and I have a queen at home. Sometimes when one of us can't sleep we migrate to the guest bedroom. Whoever is left says they get the best sleep ever without the other. She says we need a king. I think a better solution is to just get another queen and put them side by side.
We have the twins in our AS and it works. Would choose twins again over the queen. Neither the curve in the wall nor the temperature thing are problems we have noticed. The walk space and the abundant storage beneath are true benefits over the queen set up.
What might be a really great idea is to get another mattress that is as wide as the space between the two twins and build a bridge. That might work.
Good luck.
Bill
Cantrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 09:35 PM   #13
4 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Dexer , Michigan
Ahh, the much debated and threaded 'queen vs twin' issue! I searched the treads, pestered my fellow Airsteamers with questions and private messages, (cool to be able to say this BTW), debated the cuddle factor, and went shopping to see the different layouts in person.

Some sage advise I was given was to lay down in the beds with your partner and see what 'fits' and is the most comfortable. DH and I opted for the twin beds. In no particular order:

1. The Lucy/Ricky Ricardo Laura/Rob Petrie configuration is just fine for camping. This does leave options open for girl only/boy only trips. Additionally can use as another sitting and talking area as you face one another.

2. We got an extra outside storage compartment!

3. I can actually stand up and put my pants on IN the bedroom area. The little walkway (and I use the term loosly) around a front queen would make for a stork-like experience if dressing in the boudoir.

4. Access to the front overhead storage compartment is great.

5. Makes the camper seem longer as you walk ALL the way from one end to the other.

Can't really say if wc3780's comments are true as we have yet to take 'Tex' camping but we aim to find out!
tksbaskets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 10:29 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
That's why we have choices.

Hi, we have a Queen at home and a Queen in the Safari, And the King still likes the Queen. I don't plan on anyone but the Queen and I to stay/camp/sleep in our trailer. With the Queen, we only have to make one bed and only need one set of sheets. The Twin has better access to the storage. The twin has a nice isle down the middle of the beds and so does my Queen have a nice isle down the middle of my remodeled living room. My Gaucho could sleep one or two persons, but I don't think it ever will. If the King and Queen choose to have the twins, that's great, but I wouldn't make that decission for a buddy.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	My Picture CD 444 (Large).jpg
Views:	229
Size:	79.7 KB
ID:	82504   Click image for larger version

Name:	My Picture CD 419 (Large).jpg
Views:	192
Size:	68.8 KB
ID:	82505  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0458 (Large).JPG