Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > General Interior Topics
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-08-2008, 02:48 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2011 28' Flying Cloud
chanhassen , Minnesota
Rebuild of Gaucho Bed '76 Globetrotter

A couple of the plastic glides are broken from my '76 globe trotter 21.
The design in general is not so great.

Has anyone redesigned the fold down - fold up mechanism? Also, the mattress is not that comfy - my wife bought a fitted memory foam cover - over the winter I'd like to get a new piece of foam, have the memory foam put over it and then re-covered with the existing fabric that was updated @ 10 years ago.

Any help in this area is really appreciated.

Thanks,

Ken in MN
kentuvman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2008, 05:39 PM   #2
Obsessed with Moonunit

1978 Argosy Minuet 6.7 Metre
Love It Here , Colorado
There are several of us who have had this problem. I think there are several threads that might help. Lets see if I can get one here.
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f44/...ply-45676.html. click on the Vintage Trailer link. Look for Interior parts, misc. supplies, then the 1st pic should show some wood glides that many feel are a superior replacement for those plastic glides.

There is also a trailer supply that is sending me the replacement pieces (plastic or vinyl) but I dont know if they have any left. When I called he just had a few & I bought them. I am calling him on Monday on a different part I need, so I can check if you want.

Also, we replaced our foam couch/gaucho setup w/a futon after seeing another post here. Much better!

"When a great ship is in harbour and moored, it is safe, there can be no doubt. But that is not what great ships are built for." by Clarissa Pinkola-Estes, author of ‘Women Who Run With the Wolves’
COArgosy78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2008, 06:12 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

1973 31' Excella 500
Morristown , Tennessee
I agree that the design is poor. I did build a front salon in my first trailer since it was removed from the trailer before I bought it. I designed the unit with simplicity in mind. 'front of the unit was similar to the original except had hinged doors leading to the storge area. I made the openings big enough to accept a rubbermaid container with a lid. The sliders were fashioned from standard aluminum bought from any aluminum siding distributor. I chose sizes that could fit inside the other and slide out to a queen size bed. L channel attached to the front of the trailer supported the rear of the unit. I didn't like the cantelever design so made legs that could retract when closed and fold out to support the front when opened. It really didn't take much time or money. I laminated the unit with matching Wilsonart material. Worked well. Necessity is the mother of invention.
Old 11-08-2008, 10:39 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

2011 28' Flying Cloud
chanhassen , Minnesota
Gaucho Bed

Thanks Gentlemen for your replies - I like the hardwod slides.

Instead of buying the futon, I'm thinking of a piece of foam with the memory foam on top and then re-covered with the existing material.
kentuvman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2008, 10:54 PM   #5
aluminauti

Where we , Park it!
Memory foam

We also thought about placing memory foam on top of a foam cushion & then covering with "regular" upholstery material.

However, after checking with several experience foam & upholstery shops, as well as doing our own experimentation, we decided against this approach.

Basically, for memoy foam to act as "memory foam" and be as comfy as it is, it requires a stretchy, knit like fabric on at least one side of the foam. Check out the foam toppers at Costco or a high-end matress with memory foam.

Best use a quality memory foam topper on top of your couch/bed for ultimate comfort.
whitelight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 12:58 PM   #6
Obsessed with Moonunit

Love It Here , Colorado
You are welcome! Hope those wood glides work for you. I was going to get them until the replacements for the vinyl pieces came along. I think in the long run the wood glides will last longer. I went for the cheaper route for now, with hopes that we can come up w/some reinforcement to go w/them.

The memory foam topper is also something we use on top of our futon (we seem to need all the help we can get when it comes to sleeping!!!!!!!)

"When a great ship is in harbour and moored, it is safe, there can be no doubt. But that is not what great ships are built for." by Clarissa Pinkola-Estes, author of ‘Women Who Run With the Wolves’
Old 11-09-2008, 01:36 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

1973 31' Excella 500
Morristown , Tennessee
I'ld like to have a set of replacement vinyl peices for the sliders. Where did you get them?

Thanks in advance.
Old 11-09-2008, 03:48 PM   #8
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alumin8 View Post
I'ld like to have a set of replacement vinyl peices for the sliders. Where did you get them?

Thanks in advance.
Check out this thread: http://www.airforums.com/forums/f46/...des-45664.html

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 05:22 PM   #9
Obsessed with Moonunit

Love It Here , Colorado
The above post is where I was trying to find the replacement vinyl slide pieces. As far as I know, I got the last ones they had. I have not got them yet as they are looking for one other item for me, but when I call I will also ck to see if they are getting more.