Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > General Interior Topics
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-10-2008, 08:28 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
Gualala , California
Looking For Bed Slide Guides

Hi All,
The slide out gaucho/bed was not functional when we got our 72 Tradewind. Now we want to set it up and we are missing most of the nylon guides that attach to the aluminum pieces and hold it together when it slides out. I haven't been able to find a source for those parts and so am now considering making them myself. The problem is I don't have a complete set to use as a pattern. The manual says they are a 3 piece set, and I'm not even sure what a complete set looks like, or exactly how they function.

Does anyone know odf a source, or have these pieces that they would like to sell, or, does anyone have a good photo of them so I can copy and use as a pattern?

Thanks for any help!

AIR #25767
timkim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 09:00 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
Cedaredge , Colorado
You can get wood slides here for your bed.Vintage Trailer Supply - Vintage travel trailer parts and supplies!

You could also try places like pro.woodworker.com for stuff..

May you have at least one sunny day, and a soft chair to sit in..

2008 5.7 L V8 Sequoia
AIR # 31243
WBCCI # 6987
FOUR CORNERS UNIT
purman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 10:24 AM   #3
Obsessed with Moonunit

1978 Argosy Minuet 6.7 Metre
Love It Here , Colorado
Tim - we have the same problem. All of the 3 sided plastic support pieces were gone on our gaucho and 1 of the plastic end pieces (they actually help keep the metal slides in the track & stop the metal slide from coming out of the rail) was gone & now others have broken. I have been in contact w/a local gentleman who might be able to fabricate plastic parts using what pieces I have left, but I think in the long run, it will be cheaper to use the wooden slide guides from Vintage Trailer Supply as shown in the link that Purman supplied here. PS our frame is also metal, but looks like wood slides can be attached. Just my 2 cents.

"When a great ship is in harbour and moored, it is safe, there can be no doubt. But that is not what great ships are built for." by Clarissa Pinkola-Estes, author of ‘Women Who Run With the Wolves’
COArgosy78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 11:14 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
Gualala , California
Thanks Leigh and Purman. I have seen the slides at Vintage and elsewhere, but I really like the idea of using the aluminum slides that I have rather than purchasing new wooden ones. Ideally I would like to get some of the original nylon guides, either new or in good shape. But I am also pretty sure I could make some guides out of a good hardwood like oak; I just need to know what they look like.
Anybody else who could provide what I need?

AIR #25767
Old 10-10-2008, 11:27 AM   #5
Obsessed with Moonunit

Love It Here , Colorado
Way back I asked questions about this - and got a picture of the 3 sided guides & a pretty good pic of the end pieces. I will try to see if I can refind the post & put it here for u.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f38/...ries-6435.html

"When a great ship is in harbour and moored, it is safe, there can be no doubt. But that is not what great ships are built for." by Clarissa Pinkola-Estes, author of ‘Women Who Run With the Wolves’
Old 10-10-2008, 12:45 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
Cedaredge , Colorado
Looking at those aluminum ones I think the wood ones would be stronger in the long run and a lot easier to rebuild you gaucho than to fabricate new stuff... But if you got the time and like to do that kind of stuff, go for it...

Just my 2 cents..

May you have at least one sunny day, and a soft chair to sit in..

2008 5.7 L V8 Sequoia
AIR # 31243
WBCCI # 6987
FOUR CORNERS UNIT
purman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 01:54 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
Gualala , California
O.K., it looks like I may be able to do something with the help of those pictures--thank you Leigh, that's just what I was looking for! I am going to try to make something similar out of wood. I have 3 of those 'c' pieces but no end stops. I'll repost here with whatever the results are. We need to do something with the bed, it is the next step.

Jason, I wouldn't mind using those wooden slides, and it is still possible that I could, but being frugal, the cost would be around $100, and having those other parts already makes it necessary for me to at least try to use them and the challenge to be creative really gets me going. I think it may be easier to do than it seems. We will see.

Again, thank you both for helping me out. I'll post when I do something.

BTW Leigh, what did you do with yours?

AIR #25767
Old 10-10-2008, 02:23 PM   #8
Obsessed with Moonunit

Love It Here , Colorado
the "c" pieces were missing when we purchased the trailer. The end pieces have slowly deteriorated & broke off when gaucho was extended to bed. I saved the best broken end piece & as mentioned earlier, am thinking of taking it to local man who thought he might be able to refabricate if he had a pattern. We will see.....

Old 10-10-2008, 03:11 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
Currently Looking...
McHenry County , Illinois
Regarding wood slides. When I rebuilt the side gaucho in the GT I copied what was left of the original and used wood slides. Additionally I increased the number to 4, 3 section slides. It seemed to me that 200 plus pounds of aging campers and bedding hanging off the side of the frame was a bit much for just the 3 skinny originals.
That being said, sometimes the bed is quite difficult to pull out. Same thing for the smaller original front gaucho as well.
If I were going to do it over I would suck it up, spend the bucks and put in heavy-duty ball bearing units. I’ve used these in kitchen cabinetry and have been very pleased with the results on heavy pot drawers.
The local woodworking stores will have a couple of catalogs and should be able to find something to fit your application.

Tom.

Tom Nugler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 03:27 PM   #10
Obsessed with Moonunit

Love It Here , Colorado
Tom - are those more heave duty than the ones pictures in the Vintage Trailer Supply site?

Tim - I can see where u might be able to fabricate the "c" channels from wood, but not sure about the end caps? If u do manage, I wonder if I might keep in touch & see about a deal to purchase some? Just wonder how they will hold up sliding back & forth on the metal?

Old 10-10-2008, 03:32 PM   #11
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
I took a couple of pictures of mine, hope they help. One is looking down and two is from the back side.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2025.jpg
Views:	191
Size:	179.6 KB
ID:	69124   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2028.jpg
Views:	205
Size:	179.3 KB
ID:	69125  

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 03:38 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
Gualala , California
Thanks Richard, those are good pictures of the end piece, and I needed to see a close up of it.

AIR #25767
Old 10-10-2008, 03:50 PM   #13
Obsessed with Moonunit

Love It Here , Colorado
That's a very good pic of end cap. I might mention that they have edges to hold them inside the channel & also, I think a rivet or something (ours were sheered off, so hard to tell what it was). Tim, any thoughts on a purchase deal (I also like the idea of keeping things close to original & not too expensive!) Thanks.

Old 10-10-2008, 05:20 PM   #14
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
Keep you eye out for people who are converting to a dinette or replacing the unit with recliners or a futon. Sometimes you get lucky and can find the parts you need that way.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 05:22 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
Gualala , California
The Manual shows a gaucho part called the riser which is made of oak and seems to lift up the bed part. I'm not sure how much stress and rubbing against the metal they suffered, but I have my old ones and they are in perfect condition. That is part of what makes me think oak might work. Also I have seen oak used in the making of furniture, boats and many other applications, and it is truly one of the hardest woods.
Leigh, as for purchasing, If I am successful, we can talk.........I still have hope that I can find some that someone does not need.

AIR #25767
Old 10-10-2008, 08:12 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
Currently Looking...
McHenry County , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by COArgosy78 View Post
Tom - are those more heave duty than the ones pictures in the Vintage Trailer Supply site?
Yeah, A lot heavier. I still have two in case I want to do the front.
The risers, if they’re the same thing I’m thinking of, lift the edge of the seat up so you don’t feel like you’re sliding off the front when using the gaucho as a couch. Wedged shaped pieces about 6 inches long, with a 3/8s notch to keep the bench from sliding off the face frame?
I made mine from maple. I had an oak one split at the notch.

Tom.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Slide.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	241.7 KB
ID:	69130  

Tom Nugler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 10:27 AM   #17
2 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
Gualala , California
Thumbs up I Found Them!

Well, this problem resolved pretty easily. I found the end caps and the guides I needed at C&G Trailers in Bellflower. What great place & people to do business with. Rod had his people search them out for me, probably in the back 40. But they were also so responsive and helpful. They saved me much time and work.

So, obviously I'm not going to try to fabricate those parts now; and he did have some others if anyone else is looking.

Thanks everyone for suggestions and help!
Tim K

AIR #25767
Old 10-17-2008, 11:40 AM   #18
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Currently Looking...
Denton , North Carolina
Is this what your looking for

Quote:
Originally Posted by timkim View Post
Hi All,
The slide out gaucho/bed was not functional when we got our 72 Tradewind. Now we want to set it up and we are missing most of the nylon guides that attach to the aluminum pieces and hold it together when it slides out.
Thanks for any help!
I think this is what you are talking about.

Click here to see the part.

Dan
Old 10-17-2008, 11:47 AM   #19
2 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
Gualala , California
Yep, that's the beast. I'm sure glad I found it at C&G first--I paid a third of the price for them! But it is good to have the source...you never know.
Thanks, Tim

AIR #25767
Old 10-17-2008, 03:12 PM   #20
Obsessed with Moonunit

Love It Here , Colorado
Hey Tim - very glad u found what u needed & that u posted for all! I have now called C&G to ck on the endcap for our needs. Not sure if ours is exactly the same as in Dan's attachment as ours seems to be open on 1 end. I sent pics to Rod & he is checking. Hope our inquiry is as positive as yours. Anyway, thanks for the latest post.