Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > General Interior Topics
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-20-2006, 08:49 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1970 21' Globetrotter
Pickens , South Carolina
Question Double Bed?? 70 Globetrotter

Hello all,
I was looking at the "how to read the serial numbers" and my 1970 Globetrotter says it has a rear double bed. My serial number is:
B21DOJ158. First off, the list that tells what's in the numbers doesn't start off right. It doesn't show any "B" as the first in the numbers, it shows just I for International, E for Excella and L for Land Yacht. I have the Land Yacht badges on mine. Anyway the rear bed in my opinion is no way a double bed. I have some pictures following that shows the bed. I hope that anyone can tell me if I'm missing anything. The base that the bed sits on can pull out alot further. There is a little extra space between the bed and the rear sink also.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Image1.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	76.4 KB
ID:	24968   Click image for larger version

Name:	Image3.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	99.7 KB
ID:	24969  

Name:	Image4.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	97.3 KB
ID:	24970  

2003 Volkswagon Jetta TDI (yes, it's a diesel!)
2001 Suzuki Esteem
1976 Triumph Spitfire 1500
1973 Triumph Spitfire 1500
1971 Mercedes Benz 220D
1965 Triumph Spitfire MKII
(Yeah I know, Too many cars!)
RobertC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2006, 09:04 AM   #2
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
The serial number you list matches the information at http://www.vintageairstream.com/arch...0GT/index.html
The "B" is not listed in the normal VIN tables, but it is listed at the above site.
Yos say that the bed frame pulls out more, maybe you are missing the piece that will fill that area when it is fully extended. The doubles in my Trade Wind are not very large, but big enough for two consenting adults. My doubles have three cushions that make up the matress. The sofa base and back and a third piece that stows behind the back. The frame must be fully extended for the three cushions to fit.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2006, 09:11 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1973 23' Safari
1977 23' Safari
2018 25' Flying Cloud
Palmer Lake , Colorado
Send a message via Skype™ to Zeppelinium
TDI!! Very cool getting 47 mpg at 75 mph (who would ever go faster....?) with great handling!

OK, now to the double bed. My Caravel is the same size and has the same little sink table next to the wet bath. I decided I needed a permanent bed, so I built one that's odd shaped, sort of a trapezoid--narrow at the feet and as wide as possible at the shoulders. It actually fits two 5'9" adults. You can see photos at on the following two posts, but the wide angle and aspect prevent you from really appreciating the bed shape.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/205573-post1.html

http://www.airforums.com/forum...42-post66.html

It's a pain to make, you never quite know whether to turn the quilt or drape it square, but we love it. The permanent storage underneath is substantial--on holds one large bin, one holds two (bins from HD or Walmart, approx 20x18x16), and a third is long and narrow for tripods and river waders, etc.
Old 08-20-2006, 10:25 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

1970 21' Globetrotter
Pickens , South Carolina
Thanks guys,

Zep, that remod looks great! I think I'll look into doing the same thing to mine. The birch wood is very nice. I'm 6'2'' and my wife is 5'. As the layout is now we would have to sleep in seperate beds and I don't want to do that

I've had the TDI for just a week and a half now and I just love it! I traded in my Ford ranger for it as it was just a gas hog. 17 city 20 hwy!! this with a 3 liter V6, the F150's with the V8 get better than that. I have about 450 miles on the tank of the TDI since I topped it off and I'm still just a little under half a tank! Farfrumpumpin!

2001 Suzuki Esteem
1971 Mercedes Benz 220D
Old 08-20-2006, 10:41 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1973 23' Safari
1977 23' Safari
2018 25' Flying Cloud
Palmer Lake , Colorado
Robert -- do a prototype and sleep on it a couple of times. The bed I made would suit someone up to maybe 5'11' or 6', but IMHO you're stretching it at 6'2" (is there a pun in there?). If you can figure out how to handle the fridge at the end of the bed, or maybe make the foot of the bed a little wider so you can hang your toes off the end, it would work.
Old 08-20-2006, 11:35 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2005 22' International CCD
Buckhorn , Ontario
Hi Robert.

Your 70 GlobeTrotter has definitely had a remodel of sorts. The cushions were not as you have pictured.

There are two cushions missing - and the padded side is definitely aftermarket (and boy do I know why) Try sleeping against the wall when it is below 0 out brrrrr - our sheets actually froze to the wall on the way down to florida last year - and the year before we almost died of hypothermia .

Check out our Globe Trotter pictures - it will show you what was basically original. However the next year they went with hmmmm that 70's stuff - okay so I am not a big 70 prefab last forever material type a gal. Just love the wood what can I say.

Do like the little sink inplace of what we have - which we never use - the two little drawers - can never get into them with all the bedding.

Even the picture in our album is missing the filler cushion that stays hidden - you only see two. One is the seat cushion and one is the back rest - the filler cushion (also with a plywood back) flips up right to allow the sliders to be pushed all the way in.

My hubby is 6.2 and I am 5.4 - we have enough room - if he curves to the side (no way I am stuck in the side I would freak!) too cramped.

But our problem is we have one of our dogs (the big white Golden whom the Hubby allowed to stay on the bed one night as a puppy!!! now at 75#'s she is still on the bed - so we sleep in seperate beds in the Globe Trotter. Me and the big white dog and Peter up front on his single and Taz on the other single - just like having kids -but the dogs are cleaner . and don't mouth back and cost way less.

Good luck in figuring out your sleeping arrangements.

PS it can be a bit of a pain getting to and from the bathroom when the bed is all the way out - so I agree with what was mentioned - do a test run to see if you like the layout.

Also your bins are missing from underneath that set up.
05ModPod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2006, 12:29 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2005 22' International CCD
Buckhorn , Ontario
Oh YUK!

I guess I have not been to my album in a while. Those are not very good picutres of MoonBeam. I can not believe we actually slept in that on the way home with all that black mold - I am sure we were glowing by the time we arrived back in CAN.

Anyway just took a couple of minutes and went out to take some photos for you Robert.

Hope you get the gist of how it all works. You get used to making it up and down - we also have a foam topper that we use so you do not feel the ridges between the cushions.

And when on holidays we do not push the bed all the way back in. We just flip the yellow filler on its side-gains us about 5 - 6 inches giving us enough room to get in and out of the bathroom but you don't have to lean all the way to the outside to pull the yellow filler out and then the middle filler as well - they are not the lightest with the plywood backing. But this gets us the "couch" mode. - We just tuck all the bedding behind the back rest - it turns into a real compfy couch to read at when it is a dull day - or you just want to get out of the sun for a while.

With this system the important thing to remember for the restorers - is that the two filler cushions must be on the same thickness plywood backing for both support and to provide a level surface for the matress/foam.

PS the sliders used can now be found at Vintage Trailer Supply/ aka Airstream Dreams.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	100_5766.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	181.8 KB
ID:	24971   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_5767.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	150.4 KB
ID:	24972  

Name:	100_5768.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	183.9 KB
ID:	24973   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_5769.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	136.2 KB
ID:	24974  

Name:	100_5771.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	135.3 KB
ID:	24975   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_5772.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	173.0 KB
ID:	24976  

Name:	100_5773.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	191.4 KB
ID:	24977   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_5776.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	175.5 KB
ID:	24978  

Name:	100_5777.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	161.0 KB
ID:	24979  
05ModPod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2006, 11:29 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

1970 21' Globetrotter
Pickens , South Carolina
Thumbs up

Thanks GT6921,

I can see now that my bed has been modified. It took me a while looking at your pictures to see how it works. The little border above my matress is only about 1/4 inch thick, not much padding at all and its screwed to the wall. The PO must have made the matress I have now, I found a little roll of that upholstery material in one of my closets. The front goucho is done in the same material also, and I hate it. The foam is hard as a rock too, a topper would help. I might try to make the parts that you have shown, I think that I can fit on it. I'll prolly replace the foam to something a little softer while I'm at it.

Thanks to all

2001 Suzuki Esteem
1971 Mercedes Benz 220D
Old 08-21-2006, 12:04 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1973 23' Safari
1977 23' Safari
2018 25' Flying Cloud
Palmer Lake , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertC
Thanks GT6921,

... The foam is hard as a rock too, a topper would help.... I'll probably replace the foam to something a little softer while I'm at it.

Thanks to all
Be careful with the foam. We all seem to get suckered into wanting "firm" foam and then find out it feels like a rock when you lie down on it. "Soft" is usually too soft--do the Goldilocks thing and go for the "medium." It'll be just right.

Lie down on it in the store for more than 30 seconds...