Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > General Interior Topics
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-07-2008, 11:22 AM   #1
64GlobeTrotter68Overlande

1964 19' Globetrotter
1969 27' Overlander
Snohomish , Washington
Not so private bathroom

Decision being made to go non standard, what to do about a not so pleasant toilet view. The PO installed an air conditioner right where the hard curtain goes across to enclose the bathroom. So hunting for ideas, has anyone done a cool modification the enclose this area?

My thoughts at first are to build in a solid bulkhead and install a nice wood door like I have on two of my previous boats. Ideas?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bathroomsm01.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	59.2 KB
ID:	72305  
man7sell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 11:30 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1963 22' Safari
2020 27' Globetrotter
State of , Washington
Send a message via MSN to goransons
Why not install a nice piece of wood an inch or two below the air conditioner from cabinet to cabinet, and attach a curtain track to that. That way you can pull a curtain across, but still access the ac unit. Installing with screws would make servicing the unit easy by removing that piece. You can see that done here on a 69 (which may be factory I don't know) on vintage airstream's archives:

goransons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 12:44 PM   #3
64GlobeTrotter68Overlande

1964 19' Globetrotter
1969 27' Overlander
Snohomish , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by goransons View Post
Why not install a nice piece of wood an inch or two below the air conditioner from cabinet to cabinet, and attach a curtain track to that. That way you can pull a curtain across, but still access the ac unit. Installing with screws would make servicing the unit easy by removing that piece. You can see that done here on a 69 (which may be factory I don't know) on vintage airstream's archives:

Scott,

That's a pretty good solution. Whatever I do I will have to keep in mind the AC access.

Paul
man7sell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 01:45 PM   #4

Vintage Kin Owner
... , ...
Goransons idea is spot on. The bedroom divider on our 76 is mounted slightly below the ceiling too. As for AC access you could make the wooden bar removable with screws or quick connect brackets. I've seen some suitable type brackets at McMaster-Carr's website.

"One of the best lessons I've learned is that you don't worry about criticism from people you wouldn't seek advice from."

William C. Swinney

Kevin245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 06:33 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

1982 34' Limited
1975 31' Sovereign
Grovetown , Georgia
At hospitals they have a mesh part at the top of their curtains. I doubt the shower would reach the top foot.

"Decaffinated coffee is the devil's blend."
GO Bob is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bathroom