Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > General Interior Topics
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-26-2012, 03:08 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2012 27' FB International
Athens , Illinois
Has anyone made int mods to a 2012 27' FB Int?

Has anyone made any interior modifications to a 2012 27' FB International? Improvements? Interior design? Just trying to figure out some things I can do to make it look even sharper!!
Jordanparson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 03:44 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
We also have a new Airstream. The interiors are exceptionally well designed. My experience designing homes has taught me to keep the palette of materials to a minimum. Airstream has done this well. Let the decorating happen with useful and well designed accessories, rugs, towels and such. Find a color scheme for these items and stick to it all the way through. Don't put holes in the walls if you can help it, you may change you mind later.

doug k
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 03:58 PM   #3
1 Rivet Member

1975 26' Argosy 26
Flora , Indiana
We have just gotten a 2012 27' International. Love the clean, sleek interior. However, being an interior designer I feel it needs a little personalization and warmth. We are in the middle of modifying the dinette so we have the option of converting it into a "U" shaped sofa. We are also planning to add a nice cornice with a warm textured fabric over the window areas, some nice textured pillows and an upholstered piece at the head of the bed where our pillows rest. Nice thing about these trailers is they have such a nice neutral palette and all the basics are in place. You can get by with just adding pillows, a throw, and some nice fabrics on the bed. Let me know if you come up with some other ideas!
st.stephan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 07:45 PM   #4
BAB
Rivet Master

2015 30' Classic
2012 28' International
Greensboro , North Carolina
I have a 28' Intl CCD -- just not into the FB -- and have done quite a bit of redecorating. The Ultra Leather looks really nice -- but the "stock" soft goods are pretty cheesy... Here are some photos of the redo. (I have a great decorator...) Am considering doing FLOR carpet -- a 3 inch border in a silver/blue color with a gray parquet pattern. All the shiny aluminum looks great but it can use some softening up. Enjoy your new trailer!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0057.jpg
Views:	250
Size:	273.3 KB
ID:	152095   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0058.jpg
Views:	301
Size:	219.0 KB
ID:	152096  

Name:	IMG_0060.jpg
Views:	235
Size:	232.6 KB
ID:	152097  
ProPride 3P
AIR# 58452
WBCCI # 3430-Unit 21
BAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 09:56 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Command Hooks and aluminum walls - a match made in heaven!
Old 05-03-2012, 06:21 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

2008 27' International FB
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
We have an '08 27'FB and have lived it in extensively for the last 2 years. We find the dinette and side bench seat not that comfortable and plan on removing it all and placing two flexsteel type chairs in the back and putting a small storage cabinet under the tv along the wall next to the refer. Just need to figure how to cover the forced air furnace. Plan on doing that this summer and posting the project!
ewbradshaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 06:34 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foiled Again View Post
Command Hooks and aluminum walls - a match made in heaven!
Command hooks (and the other command products) and any smooth wall, as well. If you have a Classic, that mouse fur does have another purpose......the hook side of Velcro holds to it quite well.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 06:36 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Gig Harbor , Washington
I agree with the command hooks with aluminum walls. Outside of getting rid of that ridiculous bedspread and getting a sensus mattress topper we are pretty much stock. I'm open for some interesting ideas tho.
Dan
Old 05-03-2012, 07:05 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
These new Airstreams are well done inside. The aluminum interiors give a feeling of spaciousness similar to mirrors, the pano windows at either end and large side windows remove any sense of enclosure. A few favorite and useful accessories coordinated in your colors, and a scenic setting to camp should finish it nicely.

doug k
Old 05-03-2012, 07:26 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by ewbradshaw View Post
We have an '08 27'FB and have lived it in extensively for the last 2 years. We find the dinette and side bench seat not that comfortable and plan on removing it all and placing two flexsteel type chairs in the back and putting a small storage cabinet under the tv along the wall next to the refer. Just need to figure how to cover the forced air furnace. Plan on doing that this summer and posting the project!
Ours is a rear bed model which we like very much, and spend a lot of time in it as you do. I wish there had been a recliner option like the newer 30' models, perfect for a camper for two in the 25's. We will probably be doing a conversion as well, with a narrow drop-down table between. I think we will have to deal with the converter as the furnace is behind the sink. Keep all of us posted.

doug k
Old 05-03-2012, 07:52 PM   #11
4 Rivet Member

Fremont , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by ewbradshaw View Post
I look forward to seeing what you do, that is pretty much exactly what I envision for our '12 27FB. My quandary on that is what us use for sit down dinners if the dinette is gone.

https://polakoff.com/RamblinRose/
Our travel log
xo1rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 07:55 PM   #12
4 Rivet Member

Fremont , California
We were pretty happy with our stock 2012 27FB International, other than giving the dealer the bedspread and "stuff" pillows on day one and using our own pillows and quilt.

I did get a bunch of those 3M adhesive hooks and put a 12" analog clock with an aluminum bezel on the wall above the front TV and the same clock on the wall in the bedroom.

I don't see myself ever putting a hole in any interior wall.

As far as exterior we added a fold down satellite dish sending HD Direct TV signals to both TVs.

https://polakoff.com/RamblinRose/
Our travel log
xo1rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 08:26 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Gig Harbor , Washington
Now that I'm thinking about it. We have to do something with the mini blinds at the head of the bed, especially the hold down bracket. With the mattress topper and the way I toss and turn I don't see this lasting long. Any suggestions?
Old 05-03-2012, 08:29 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by danlehosky View Post
Now that I'm thinking about it. We have to do something with the mini blinds at the head of the bed, especially the hold down bracket. With the mattress topper and the way I toss and turn I don't see this lasting long. Any suggestions?
Do away with the mini blinds and get day/night accordion style blinds?

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
Old 05-03-2012, 08:35 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Gig Harbor , Washington
DZ, good idea. Any shopping suggestions? Some are thermal as well.
Dan
Old 05-03-2012, 08:43 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
AS has them as standard fare on the Classics, so they may have your size?

Custom-Made Day/Night Shades - Blinds & Shades - Camping World

I am sure there are many others out there...google it under "rv window shades".

Old 05-04-2012, 06:58 PM   #17
2 Rivet Member

2008 27' International FB
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
Mini blinds

We have a motor home too with the accordion style blinds and we don't care for them. They can be troublesome and difficult to use. I would use the roller blinds by MCD either manual or electric.
ewbradshaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 01:20 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Recliner Substitute in a 25/27 FB

I've heard several people observe that the side couch can become a dumping ground and that it isn't a comfortable place to watch TV.

Well some marketing genius (b***tard) decided I'm old enough to need a catalog from Gold Violin - and while I hope most of the stuff is 20 years in my future I spotted two things that inspire me to modify the side couch instead of spending a fortune for a recliner and losing the dinette.

Gold Violin - Search Results for five way adjustable back rest

This first one is very like something you see in all of the Avion Twins, done with plywood. It goes under the mattress and props up the head for reading in bed (or watching TV? eh?)

http://search.goldviolin.com/search?w=massaging+body+wedge+&Click=null

This is a bit frustrating - the catalog shows 4 pictures of a grand total of four different sized and angled wedges that allow you to raise your knees and brace your feet, or raise your knees and feet. The one cushion you can see in the link can be turned either way to let you fully sit up or partly recline, and the foot wedge can brace the bottom of your feet or be laid on top of the knee wedge which goes from hip to ankle - to raise your lower legs. It's pretty cool but only 18 inches wide, the foam is expensive and where would you stow it if you wanted to use the sofa as a bed or flat sofa? So back to the adjustable backrest... why not one for your back, one for your hips to knees and a third wedge/platform for the knees to feet. Just plop the existing cushion on top hop on and zZZZ (or even find inflatable wedges for that matter?)

Suddenly the side couch is a TV recliner! So why didn't Airstream at least steal the backrest idea from Avion's twins? And dammit if this comes out as a feature on the 2013's I want a gratuity from the factory!

Paula
Old 05-17-2012, 06:44 PM   #19
2 Rivet Member

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Daphne , Alabama
Our '08 Ocean Breeze 27 is our third Airstream. We started 'streaming in the mid '90's with a 1983 Sovereign (Which Airstream never officially produced), and in '08 we bought used '08 Safari Sport. That proved to be a little small so in August '09 we sold the Safari and bought the Ocean Breeze.

We have made mods to each one to accommodate our needs. On the Sovereign, some of the mods were irreversible, such as the parquet floor. We installed cabinets in place of the gaucho bed on the Safari that could be removed. Our feeling is that the new owner might prefer the original configuration.

Name:	Sofa.jpg
Views:	455
Size:	172.4 KB
ID:	158685

We took the same approach on the Ocean Breeze when we made our mods. These mods included:

1. Blackout Backing for the curtains. The original curtains are a little thin and let a lot of light in, especially the security lights at some campgrounds. My wife sewed in a "blackout" backing that not only cuts down on external lighting, but also doesn't allow as much heat to enter in the summer. A double benefit.

2. Cushions - While we liked the original Ocean Breeze cushion design, we wanted something a little more substantial to provide protection, especially since we have a 96 pound dog who is allowed on all furniture. My wife chose a heavy material, similar to the Sunbrella material, but designed for upholstery. My wife covered the original upholstery so that the cushions can be returned to their original look.

3. Charger cabinet - We quickly realized that we did not have a place to throw keys, wallet, phones etc. when we came inside. The only place was the kitchen counter, and that was just not acceptable. I replaced the large sofa cushion with a custom cabinet I built in my workshop. It has a power strip inside and a recessed lid to keep things from falling off the edge. It's covered in Formica to match the rest of the interior. We use the cabinet for those items we want to take with us, including dog supplies.

Name:	Charger Cabinet.jpg
Views:	277
Size:	171.4 KB
ID:	158686

4. Table to Sofa conversion. This one proved to be very simple. We didn't feel we had a place to "crash" after dinner when we just wanted to watch a little TV in the evening. We decided on a design that would allow us to remove the table and insert a couple of cushions to give us a U shaped seating area. I made a hinged board with a recessed area for another power strip. To convert from table to sofa, we simply remove the table, fold out the board and add the custom cushions my wife made. Very simple.

Name:	Sofa Base.jpg
Views:	309
Size:	126.0 KB
ID:	158689

5. Storage Cabinet. Has anyone ever had an Airstream with enough storage? I built a cabinet with an opening top. This provides more storage space and gives my wife a 28" x 32" countertop for meal preparation. Again, covered in white Formica to match the Ocean Breeze theme.

Name:	Kitchen Cabinet.jpg
Views:	247
Size:	127.9 KB
ID:	158687 Click image for larger version

Name:	Kitchen Cabinet Open.jpg
Views:	240
Size:	110.5 KB
ID:	158690

All of the mods can be returned to their original conditions, so that if or when we decide to sell, the new owner a lot of options.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Kitchen Cabinet View 2.jpg
Views:	206
Size:	150.9 KB
ID:	158688  
flynaxos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 05:54 AM   #20

2008 27' International CCD FB
Charlottesville , Virginia
Love it all.......what great improvements! Very talented and professional cabinet work.
I agree that it's nice to have a wrap around sofa to "crash".
Bright colors make it feel like you're on vacation when you walk in the door!
calamityanni is offline   Reply With Quote