Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Running Gear - Axles, Brakes, Wheels & Tires > Tires
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-07-2012, 05:06 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1991 34' Limited
Tyler , Texas
Any reason to NOT use bias ply tires?

I've read as many of the tire threads as possible over the last month in preparation for my impending purchase of 7 new tires for my AS. Its obvious every tire radial or bias can experience a blow-out. Radial tire failures seem to play havoc with the AS itself by tearing out wheel wells, plumbing, and side moldings and more. Bias tire failures are not usually associated with the same catastrophic events. I know there are some limitations w/ bias ply such as flat spots after sitting and maybe some difference in performance in ride or road footprint. But avoiding the potential damages associated with a radial tire failure seem well worth the few limits that come with a bias tire. So is there any substantial safety/ performance related reason to NOT use bias ply tires on my AS? Difference in cost is not an issue. What say ye?
tvanwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 05:10 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
I don't think so.
They will "flat spot" more than a radial, but that works out after a few miles if it's just been sitting for a few weeks. Long term storage, put it up on stands. (I do this with radials as well)

They have more rolling resistance than a radial.....but is it significant????

Depending on construction and materials...the sidewalls may be stiffer than a radial, so a harsher ride....again...is it significant?

I see no reason not to use a proper bias tire....personal preference.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 05:22 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

1991 34' Limited
Tyler , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by dznf0g View Post

They have more rolling resistance than a radial.....but is it significant????

Depending on construction and materials...the sidewalls may be stiffer than a radial, so a harsher ride....again...is it significant?

I see no reason not to use a proper bias tire....personal preference.
I agree, road and wind conditions are likely to have more influence on total resistance to movement and the harshness of the ride. I'm guessing in an ST tire the difference in sidewall stiffness is not meaningful.
Old 02-07-2012, 05:30 PM   #4
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
In general, bias ply tires are more prone to blowouts as a result of road hazards that result in a puncture. I believe that overall they are less safe as a result. I would not have one on a valuable trailer. They're fine for farm equipment and other vehicles that operate at lower speeds.
Old 02-07-2012, 05:41 PM   #5
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Lin , Ne
Checking your air pressures and staying away from china tires will go a long way in preventing blowouts.
r carl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 05:55 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammer View Post
In general, bias ply tires are more prone to blowouts as a result of road hazards that result in a puncture. I believe that overall they are less safe as a result. I would not have one on a valuable trailer. They're fine for farm equipment and other vehicles that operate at lower speeds.
That's not been my personal experience with boat trailers and my first pop-up with 12" wheels and bias plys. I'd run 70mph, so with a 12" what does that translate into with a 15" AS wheel?

It was my Dad's pop up before I bought it....in 22 years of ownership, we had several flats...never a blowout nor self destructing tire. I did throw about 8" of tread on one, but it didn't lose any air before I noticed a vibration and pulled over.

I hear what you're saying, but it's just not been my experience... I think quality is relevant for bias ply....just like it is for radials.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
Old 02-08-2012, 05:36 AM   #7
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by dznf0g View Post
That's not been my personal experience with boat trailers and my first pop-up with 12" wheels and bias plys. I'd run 70mph, so with a 12" what does that translate into with a 15" AS wheel?

It was my Dad's pop up before I bought it....in 22 years of ownership, we had several flats...never a blowout nor self destructing tire. I did throw about 8" of tread on one, but it didn't lose any air before I noticed a vibration and pulled over.

I hear what you're saying, but it's just not been my experience... I think quality is relevant for bias ply....just like it is for radials.
Same'o kind'a....

Had a bias fail on the 63 Safari, first trip home, age? Section of tread separation, no damage. Replaced with bias D range, 18 Season's W/O problem's.

Have had bias on the 53 Ford since new with no problems, first replacement 1976 and again in 2009. Noticeable improvement in construction quality on the '09 switch.

Bob
Old 02-08-2012, 05:50 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
I would rather put radial passenger rated tires on because more of them are made and quality control is better because of the potential liability issues. Trailer specific tires are a nitch that is filled with off brand chinese and other overseas manufactures with little or no quality control. If I remember my earlier days, bias ply tires tended to overheat at high speeds and had inferior ride and traction compared to radials. Evidence of Airstreamer's experiences on this forum confirms that.

A properly constructed radial should never fail catastrophically. I don't include any trailer specific radial tire as properly constructed. I have never had a radial tire explode or come apart. Most that do come apart because they were run at highway speeds with 5psi of air in them. You have no reason not to run car tires because you have 6 of them to carry the load, none of them are going to see a lot of load.

Perry
perryg114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 05:58 AM   #9
Moderator dude

1966 26' Overlander
Phoenix , Arizona
Assuming like for like - meaning a quality bia-ply vs radial

From a performance aspect radials are better than bias ply that is why they are on the market today. They have less rolling resistance, more flex and as such willl consume less energy to get them and keep them moving.

I do not believe they are any more or less safe.

I believe bias ply tires may not be as readily available so if you are traveling you may have issues with servicing. (Warranty, replacements and ????)

>>>>>>>Action
Old 02-08-2012, 02:51 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member

1991 34' Limited
Tyler , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammer View Post

Even if under the exact same circumstances a bias ply is more prone to a blow out it is less likely to cause catastrophic damage - at least according to the tire threads on the forum. How much more prone I don't know but it seems when a blow out occurs bias ply are less likely to damage the AS -again according to the treads on the forum. In those same threads I don't recall hearing of anyone losing control of their trailer due to a blow out - might have missed it though.
Old 02-08-2012, 02:58 PM   #11
3 Rivet Member

2004 16' International CCD
Orem , Utah
Over at walleyecentral

Many of guy's have gone with bias ply's at $65 tire they can be replaced twice as much. They offer stiffer wall and better going over dirt roads. Less performance on freeway.
starcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 03:09 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
Folks are running Michelins on here and I have never heard of one failing.

Perry
perryg114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 03:23 PM   #13
3 Rivet Member

1991 34' Limited
Tyler , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Action View Post
I believe bias ply tires may not be as readily available so if you are traveling you may have issues with servicing. (Warranty, replacements and ????)

>>>>>>>Action
I was thinking of buying my tires from discount tire since they have 100s of stores around the US. If I go bias I'm thinking of the Carslile USA Trail ST 225 75D so obtaining a replacement should be a little easier... i think.
Old 02-08-2012, 03:27 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to Melody Ranch
As I have said here before, I use 700 x 15 bias on all but one of my trailers. I over ten years I have never had a flat or blowout. I use 'em on all my farm and ranch vehicles too. The Airstreams are old and light. The others are new and heavy and used on all types of roads and unimproved land.
Old 02-08-2012, 03:38 PM   #15
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
When radials first came to market more than 40 years ago, they were promoted for a better ride, less rolling resistance (i.e., better gas mileage), and better traction on curves (because of the more flexible sidewalls).

You can buy radials with pretty stiff sidewalls, for ex., the Michelin Rib tire if you want a stiff sidewall. I think some off roaders prefer bias ply and if they want to go through mud, bias ply with very big knobs. An off road bias play would ride badly for other use.

Since a smooth riding trailer with good traction and less rolling resistance seems like a good combination, I think radials are best for a trailer. A well made radial should not have tread separation. Avoiding ST tires because of their tread separation record seems like a good decision.

Therefore we switched to radial LT tires for the trailer (not the Rib which seems to be a commercial grade truck tire for use in short, urban area trips).

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 05:02 PM   #16
Moderator dude

1966 26' Overlander
Phoenix , Arizona
Farm and ranch vehicles that never see north of 25 or 30 mph is a whole different loading than highway/freeway/interstate usage for thousands of miles. I would not base a buying decision on a a different experience.

>>>>>>>>>>>Action
Old 02-12-2012, 03:23 PM   #17
3 Rivet Member

1991 34' Limited
Tyler , Texas
Talked to a local tire guy. He says bias ply tires can develop multiple flat spots that do not disappear once the trailer is under way. Has that been anyone's experience?

BTW i see where GYM tires are speed rated R = 106 MPH I thought ST tires were not speed rated
Old 02-12-2012, 03:27 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
That wasn't my experience with the pop up camper nor my old boat trailer. They'd thump for a mile or two, as I recall, then be fine.

Old 02-12-2012, 03:36 PM   #19
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Lin , Ne
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvanwave View Post
BTW i see where GYM tires are speed rated R = 106 MPH I thought ST tires were not speed rated
35 MPH is pushing them!
r carl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 04:00 PM   #20
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
"Talked to a local tire guy. He says bias ply tires can develop multiple flat spots that do not disappear once the trailer is under way. Has that been anyone's experience?"
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1953 Ford Victoria
The original bias ply and second replacements in 2000 did flat-spot after extended storage, never lasted more than a few miles.
The current Coker tubeless Firestone's do not.
I have kept the bias ply's to keep the handling and ride characteristics as designed. The original wheels are not made to withstand the lateral forces radial tires can exert.

Plus like an Airstream, it ain't a Porcha.

POI...been in the Family since new, 44000mi never a flat. OEM spare in trunk.

Bob
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01604.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	300.7 KB
ID:	150899