Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > General Interior Topics
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-08-2003, 07:13 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Fun-Lovin
Changing the Twins out

I am looking to change my twins to a single full sized fold up and a desk and dresser on the opposite side, any suggestions?
WBCCI # 3516
Fun-Lovin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2003, 07:21 PM   #2
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64
The planning for the desk and fold up bed will require you to take into account the wheel wells. Are you thinking a foldup bed like in the front, only mounted on the side? If you place the desk on the side oppisite of the furnace you will be able to have more drawer space. It will also be easier since you will not be dealing with pipes, etc.

There are peolple that are removing the jacknife sofas on a regular basis, so I would watch for that if you are attempting to keep the original feel. The other thing is that it should be able to be cut down if need be to fit.
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2003, 07:33 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Fun-Lovin
I had taken the wheel well into consideration along with the plumbing, furnace ducting ect. I am not concerned about originalality but usability. Im considering a futon and have found one that I feel may work with some modifications. Im also looking at redoing the living room area but not so much at first.
WBCCI # 3516
Fun-Lovin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2003, 07:37 PM   #4
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64
If you are going to redo the living room, then just move the front couch and save the $$ on the futon.
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2003, 08:13 PM   #5
Rivet Master

The floorplan Douglas refers to was comparatively rare, but can be seen (now that the photos are back up) by clicking on the "photos" button below this post. I have one myself, and can attest that it has many advantages. The one disadvantage, and the one that has kept it from being very poplular, is the corner bed.

However, it is for a rear bath design, and you obviously are dealing with a rear bath unit. There was a full size bed option for your year model that had very attractive closet space, or, as you suggest, a desk.

Mark
j54mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2003, 02:47 PM   #6
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
Gone the twins

J54mark
Thnaks for the pictures. Now I'm totally at loose ends about what to do. I had started a cleansheet design with the bed in the back. Then I switched to the original '59 middlebed double layout (have '59twinbed now). After seeing the advantages of the '85 rear bed, I may go that direction. I'm in the middle of a frame-off reconstruction, so changing the bath location isn't a problem. Again, thanks for the pictures.
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote