Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > General Interior Topics
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-02-2009, 03:56 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2008 28' Safari SE
winter garden , Florida
08 safari queen mattress

OK, I know this has been covered somewhere on this forum, but I cannot find it. My wife and I agree ( does not happen often) that the factory mattress has got to go. I know it is a short queen and a regular queen will fit but other than going from mattress shop to mattress shop and trying them all does anyone have any suggestions? We need to sleep!
bob34787 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 08:39 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

2007 19' Bambi
2005 18' Westphalia
Evans , GA
Try a memory foam topper from Wal-Mart.
$30-100 depending on the thickness.
We have had two RVs and both mattresses have not suited my husband.
We added a 4" foam topper and he no longer wakes in pain.
We do need to use very thin pillows with this thick foam.

I also remember reading a thread about a couple who had a custom mattress made somewhere in FL.
Bird's Nest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 08:59 PM   #3

Chicago , Illinois
Americana Bear Beds - Home of the Teddy Bear Air Beds
gdv59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 09:13 PM   #4
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
We have a 2" medium foam topper and it is very comfortable. Then I found out about how foam off gasses lots of nasty stuff. Organic natural latex toppers are available that are nontoxic and much more expensive, but also comfortable. Any topper will be standard queen size, but we moved the OEM mattress down and stuffed something between the wall and the mattress. I also extended the luan board under the mattress with some oak plywood to support the end of the mattress. Now standards sheets fit right.

A new mattress, custom made for curves, will cost a lot.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 10:08 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Beg to Differ

I had a custom made mattress for my 06 Safari FB SE. Honestly cost less than a good mattress from a reputable retailer. I think I paid about $500. Really Cheap mattresses are that way for a REASON... there have been many cases where old hotel mattresses have been "refurbished" with new coverings... and old bedbugs.

Call "The Original Mattress Factory" - here in Va. Beach the number is 757-486-2400. They have several outlets in the eastern USA. Their showrooms have mattresses from basic to ultra cushy - both innerspring and foam - latex or artificial foam. You can even specify latex sheathing a lighter artificial core which saves weight. I chose a 7 inch artificial foam one - weight being a consideration. I'm not a petite woman, and I find it quite comfortable. I really don't like the super thick memory foam mattresses - they are HOT in summer because you sleep IN the mattress rather than on it.

The advantage to these mattresses is that they are flippable (if you don't have them made with a curved edge). Most new "no turn" mattresses simply CAN'T be turned over because there is a cushy sleep layer only on one side. I had mine made virtually square and simply stuff soft pillows along the curve of my sideways queen. (Next Airstream will have twins - and I'll get my custom mattresses from the same store - flipping them to opposite sides.)

There are several other chains that do the same thing - and scores of individual upholsterers. Shop around - and when you find the right place take your Airstream to the store - they'll lay it out on their floor and make a pattern with the radiused bottom corners and/or curved side or top if you want it.

Be curious. I looked at standard queens at Sam's Club - not nearly as nice a mattress AND almost as expensive, and it wouldn't have fit as well as what I have.

Paula
Old 10-03-2009, 04:56 AM   #6
3 Rivet Member

2008 25' Safari
Jasper , Georgia
We just bought a replacement mattress for our 08 Safari from Excel Distributors. Price for their best model innerspring was $409 including shipping. It arrived via UPS in about a week. The mattress is rolled up in a plastic sleeve and compressed. We took the box into the Airstream and put it on the bedframe before unwrapping it. They said to allow a week for it to expand before using it.
But just out of the box it is much better than the original!
We found this vendor from another post on the forums.
www.exceldistributors.com
Paul&Dee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 05:06 AM   #7
3 Rivet Member

2008 28' Safari SE
winter garden , Florida
thanks to all, I will start my search today. you would think that with what they charge for these trailers a better mattress would be standard. Hell I looked at the white box trailers before we bought the Airstream and some of them came woth sleep number beds.
Old 10-03-2009, 08:15 AM   #8

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Keep in mind that the short queen is short for a reason. Normally the platform which supports your mattress is shorter than a standard queen. I tried to use a standard queen mattress on my SOB (not knowing that it was a short that I was replacing). I found the extra length hunger over the end of the platform which made the end unstable, and I also found out I lost the needed clearance to walk around the end of the bed.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 08:34 AM   #9
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcanavera View Post
Keep in mind that the short queen is short for a reason. Normally the platform which supports your mattress is shorter than a standard queen. I tried to use a standard queen mattress on my SOB (not knowing that it was a short that I was replacing). I found the extra length hunger over the end of the platform which made the end unstable, and I also found out I lost the needed clearance to walk around the end of the bed.

Jack
Jack, the platform can be extended with a piece of 1/4" plywood glued or bolted to the existing platform. As for the space one needs to get around the bed, some people think it's too narrow, others don't, so it seems to be a subjective thing.

Gene
Old 10-03-2009, 10:04 AM   #10
3 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Peoria , Arizona
The comfort of a quality mattress is worth every penny. With a standard queen, it's nice to be able to buy bedding anywhere. RV-sized short queen bedding may get pricey. I still have room to stand at the end of the standard queen to make the bed.
AZ-JH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 02:53 PM   #11
_

. , .
foam, inner spring or air?

bob...

is the safari mattress FOAM?

if so, it's easy to swap it for the INNER SPRING mattress used on the classic line.

these are much better than foam imo and will last longer.

they are somewhat firm so a 2 inch topper or wool pad makes for more comfort.

there are also companies making 'dial in the firmness' inflateable air/foam mattresses.

these are the LIGHTEST and offer the most adjustability and can be had in DIRECT FIT sizes.

many OLDER threads on this issue, with links to vendors, LOTs of combos, and on.

or google 'custom rv mattresses' and the vendors pop up...

keep in mind the shock/struts used to help raise the platform are RATED by weight.

so IF one goes with a heavier mattress, the shock/struts may need 2b replaced to hold the platform UP...

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 05:13 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1979 30' Argosy
Havelock , where we park it
Thumbs up Excel Distributors

Have to agree ... These mattresses are great... made in the US by Paramount in Oregon. We have a short queen in the Argosy and love it so much we are building a platform and ordering a full queen for home. No more box spring and mattress for us....
WBCCI 10103
"Happiness is a warm Puppy" Charles Schulz
Happycampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 09:34 AM   #13
1 Rivet Member

2023 20' Basecamp
Lincolnton , North Carolina
Mattress for 2007 Safari SE

Looking for suggestions on a cost effective way to improve the firmness of the mattress on our 2007 Safari. Due to the shape of the corner bed, replacing the existing mattress with a custom made one would be a costly option. Can the foam mattress toppers be cut to conform to the unusual shape of the Airstream-supplied mattress and do they add significantly to the firmness? Any other thoughts? My back will appreciate any recommendations!
ncairstreamr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 11:21 AM   #14
3 Rivet Member

2008 28' Safari SE
winter garden , Florida
I actually ended up taking a 4" memory foam mattress topper and cutting it down, works great. I got mine at sears, only because they were clearing them out, walmart ha them for around $100
Old 10-15-2009, 11:51 AM   #15
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Toppers come in soft, medium and firm. I have no idea how firm is firm. Maybe you could put a thin plywood board under it. Or take out the mattress, use a topper alone on the plywood that's under the mattress.

Gene
Old 10-16-2009, 05:15 AM   #16
1 Rivet Member

2023 20' Basecamp
Lincolnton , North Carolina
Mattress for 2007 Safari SE

Thanks for the advice. It looks like a mattress topper might be worth a try.
ncairstreamr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 05:27 PM   #17
4 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
2017 30' Flying Cloud
Highland , California
I too have a 2007 Safari FB. Tossed the matress. Gave me back pains that I never had before. Bought a Select Comfort "short Queen". Replaced the pump controllers twice before going with the remote controller. All under warrenty. I like it. No back pains; only it tends to scoot away from the head wall from time to time is the only complaint.
zapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 09:33 PM   #18
3 Rivet Member

2012 27' Flying Cloud
Denver , Colorado
Well, people, our International CCD 23D has the curved mattress. I don't see any options for that on the site others suggested. So for NEXT summer it'll be either a topper or we'll find a replacement mattress with a curve in it.

Anybody found a curved replacement mattress?
Old 10-29-2009, 06:17 AM   #19

Chicago , Illinois
Jim,
Early on in this thread I posted a link to Americana Bear Beds. While I have no personal experience with them their website specifically states they make mattresses for Airstream travel trailers. Hope this helps, good luck. Here's the link:
Airstream
gdv59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 07:51 PM   #20
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Denver , North Carolina
How much time are you going to spend on this mattress? If it is to be a nightly thing over a month or so, I think it would pay to get a good mattress.
I had a custom sized mattress made for the camper and sleep well every night. One of the conditions of sale was instalation. Did take some doing to get the mattress into and in position, but it was woth it.
DWj
wizz is offline   Reply With Quote