Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-15-2009, 08:57 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
We use a featherbed on top of our corner mattress and it makes all the difference in the world...and warm, too. We made a large duvet like affair to cover the featherbed...works great...
AirForums #21900
PastPrez, 4CU/WBCCI
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 03:57 AM   #22
3 Rivet Member

2008 28' Safari SE
winter garden , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizz View Post
How much time are you going to spend on this mattress? If it is to be a nightly thing over a month or so, I think it would pay to get a good mattress.
I had a custom sized mattress made for the camper and sleep well every night. One of the conditions of sale was instalation. Did take some doing to get the mattress into and in position, but it was woth it.
DWj
Time on the mattress is not important, with 5 disc herniations comfort is important. If I sleep a total of two hours per night I consider it a good night. With the Airstream mattress 20 mins. would be a good night. Just does not make sense that a trailer with a sticker of 67,000 should have a mattress worth about 50.00. Some of the lesser SOB's that I looked at had sleep number beds installed from the factory.
bob34787 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 03:04 PM   #23
2 Rivet Member

2009 23' FB Flying Cloud
2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Prince William, , Virginia
Has anyone totally removed the bed to open up the floor space and replaced with two recliners?
pebbrb05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 05:50 PM   #24
tpi
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Trabuco Canyon , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob34787 View Post
OK, I know this has been covered somewhere on this forum, but I cannot find it. My wife and I agree ( does not happen often) that the factory mattress has got to go. I know it is a short queen and a regular queen will fit but other than going from mattress shop to mattress shop and trying them all does anyone have any suggestions? We need to sleep!
I found a local mattress shop/ builder which used the old mattress as a template for a quality innerspring mattress. It has two rounded corners. It was money well spent as I approach 6 years of ownership.
tpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 06:35 PM   #25
3 Rivet Member

2007 28' International CCD
West Hollywood , California
A lot of big name mattress sellers speak in their gimmicky marketing terms to obfuscate the true nature of their product.

Foam Mattress Pads Memory Foam Platform Beds & More

Check it out. (You can trace the pattern of your RV mattress on a big piece of paper, fold it, and mail it to them. They will custom cut for a reasonable price.) I think this place equates price with quality.

There are 3 types of foams: conventional foam (petrol), visco memory foam (petrol), or natural latex (rubber tree sap, very durable but heavy).

All of them (whether cheap or pricey) can come in any level of INITIAL firmness and comfort. Usually, more expensive the mattress is more heavier and denser the foam is per cubic foot, which provides durability in long term.

The density, or weight of the mattress does not correspond to the softness or firmness. You can certainly have a foam that is light but firm -- the problem is a mattress like that won't last many duty cycles.

What's great is that you can create a mattress by specifying the firmness of each of the 3 layers.

When I learned that Tempur-Pedic is merely a visco memory foam top layer glued on conventional foam core albeit designed carefully, I felt being cheated.

Perhaps for many of you, the price for a quality mattress may not justify the utilization. In theory, cheap foam can save weight and can provide the similar comfort of expensive foam for the occasional RV camping.

Another option:
Memory Foam Mattresses | Memory Foam Mattress Foundations | Memory Foam Pillows
Old 08-09-2010, 12:48 PM   #26
4 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
2017 30' Flying Cloud
Highland , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by zapper View Post
I too have a 2007 Safari FB. Tossed the matress. Gave me back pains that I never had before. Bought a Select Comfort "short Queen". Replaced the pump controllers twice before going with the remote controller. All under warrenty. I like it. No back pains; only it tends to scoot away from the head wall from time to time is the only complaint.
Update on the Select Comfort air bed experience; the outer shell fabric under the matttress containing the air bags has torn because the outer walls of the shell overlap the edge of the plywood and work to tear the fabric. In addition the new remote controller for the pump has the LED segments that have failed so you cannot accurately read the numbers. So I am done with air beds. I was willing to put up with the leting the air out when you travel to high altitudes, but all the other stuff going wrong is an unnecessary irritation.
zapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 01:08 PM   #27
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
Having a Classic doesn't mean that you will get a good mattress. The original queen in my 2005 Classic was junk. My hip and shoulder always felt like I was sleeping on the board under the mattress. Even with a fancy $120 topper that I bought at International, it was just barely adequate.

I just finished replacing the queen in my trailer with twins. I bought two custom 8" thick 34x78 twins with the curved corner from Rocky Mountain Mattress Co. and used them for a short trip. They are really great.

The two custom twin mattresses cost $900 total with no tax or shipping. I sent them a drawing and a paper template for the corner shape. There are 3 layers of different foam plus some sort of membrane that adds lumbar support. The build quality of these mattresses is impressive. They are intentionally moderately firm, but they also have a 9" model with a softer top layer.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote