Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Full-Timing, Winter Living & Workamping
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-27-2013, 05:08 PM   #21
4 Rivet Member

Central Florida , Florida
Here is link to a fulltiming couple who have fulltimed for about 14 years. Not in an Airstream but in a gasser motorhome.

http://www.adventure.1tree.net/index.php/rv-living/finances

Here is another link to a couple in their early fourties who are fulltiming in an old vintage bus.

http://www.technomadia.com/the-finances-how-to-afford-it/

Although everyone's style of fulltiming is different, these links may give you an idea on cost for specific items.

2008 Classic 34
Dodge Ram 2500 Crew Cab CTD
Air Apparent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 10:25 AM   #22
Rivet Master

2007 25' International CCD FB
Northridge , California
Talking

Our tow vehicle routinely returns 14mpg when towing at 55, 16 on a good day with a following wind.

Aye Caramba, what are you towing with?
LilNomad
LiLNomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 10:31 AM   #23
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Annandale , Virginia
Thanks for all the useful feedback. I guess in the end I'm really not comparing this lifestyle vs motels as I am the cost of living where I am now - house w/mortgage in northern VA ($1900/m) plus utilities, food, etc - as what would it be like for a year on the road. Because after that year or so we would likely sell the trailer and then settle back down again in a less expensive locale. I saw another person wiht similar ambition much further along in process of selling home, selling lots of the "stuff" accumulated over the years, putting the precious stuff in storage, and then having a go of it. Of course, things could change after a year and we would decide to keep going for awhile longer (or not sell the trailer and do sporadic trips) but I barely know what will happen tomorrow... Plus, still have to convince my wife that this is not just pie in the sky wishful thinking. Yesterday she was wondering "but what will I DO every day?" (She's the inveterate putzer).
JackKerouac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 11:02 AM   #24
3 Rivet Member

2010 27' FB Classic
Austin , Texas
I am retired and a little retentive regarding where and how I spend money. When I am out in the Airstream for more than a couple weeks, without fail, my monthly costs go down.

It all changes of course, and gas becomes a huge slice pretty quick.

Mostly it boils down to not having a Honey-Do list. There is always something around here that needs fixing or building. I go away and everything stays just like I left it.

Stuff like this. I just had to build a home for my second home.

Bbelk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 01:58 PM   #25
3 Rivet Member

2013 27' FB International
2016 28' Land Yacht
Baton Rouge , Louisiana
We have no good comments add but rather congratulate those who have posted wonderful advice!
I had thought I would retire in two months, but when I was declined for medical insurance decided to keep working a bit longer until things stabilized...
So reworked my schedule to work only Monday- Wednesday...hope to see all soon!
Annie
TCA and GPO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 08:57 AM   #26
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Math & Wine don't mix!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foiled Again View Post
A good figure for either a gasser or diesel is 12 mpg. At $4 per gallon a 100 miles will cost you $72 in fuel alone. Of course that will vary considerably... much higher if you're going uphill or facing heavy headwinds.

Paula
Wow... how about $32...
Old 12-30-2013, 11:59 AM   #27
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
OK, the NEW math is much better.

Hey Colonel. Don't forget the Corps of Engineers sites in your travels. Scattered all around and many have campsites. Half price with the Access pass and if you're into fishing many are right there. The one's we've been to all had electric with water and dump available nearby. For the military campgrounds check out the forums found at
U.S. Military Campgrounds and RV Parks - Home for locations and plenty of good discussion. We've stayed at quite a few and you'll find that the cost and facilities vary a great deal. If you're travels bring you to Key West, FLA the best deal we found is the Navy Sta there and camping is $10 / night in their overflow area ( no hookups) when the hookup area is full.
Enjoy your retirement and your travels.

See ya on the road sometime.

" Democracy is the worst form of government. Except for all the rest"
Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

polarlyse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 12:47 PM   #28
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Middle of Somewhere , Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiLNomad View Post

Our tow vehicle routinely returns 14mpg when towing at 55, 16 on a good day with a following wind.

Aye Caramba, what are you towing with?
LilNomad
It's possible that being Canadian, he's quoting mpg in Imperial (British) gallons which 1 Imperial gallon = 1.2 U.S. gallons. Take his numbers times 0.8 for USA mpg.
Kriilin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 02:40 PM   #29
2 Rivet Member

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
Fall City , Washington
RV retirement

Many good responses already so I'll be brief. You have to eat wherever you are and preparing your own food in your personal kitchen is the most economical way to go.
Assuming you sold your home and have few or no fixed costs back "home" your RV costs are basically fuel and campground rental. With my diesel truck a good day tow of 300 mi will cost me $90 in fuel and campground fees are typically $35 - $50/night.
When we've gone south for the winter the savings are getting someplace you like and staying put for a while. The campgrounds generally give monthly rates that are far less.
Most other costs for us are common to wherever we are such as medical, insurance, playing around a few beers now and then and incidentals.
Our lifestyle stays pretty much the same except that we truly enjoy our little home on wheels and use it to the fullest.

Lou
NWGreyhound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 06:42 AM   #30
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Annandale , Virginia
Lou,

Thanks much, that is exactly what I was looking for. Assuming we were to stay in one place for 2-3 weeks at a time, seems that the daily cost would be in neighborhood of $75/day, to include cost of campground/hook-up, food, and fuel. Somedays higher, I'd imagine, if we went to a restaurant for dinner, or to catch a show, see a site, etc. And some days lower. In all events, ~ 50% of what we're spending now. JK
Old 12-31-2013, 07:11 AM   #31
3 Rivet Member

Francisco , Indiana
Back 07 or 08, we went from Southwest Indiana to the Black Hills. Made the loop out and back , was gone thirteen nights.
Was talking to a neighbor a few days after we got back and they were making the same loop just about a day ahead of us.
We got to comparing notes on things and he commented on the price of motel rooms. He paid over thirteen hundred dollars for rooms for thirteen nights, he said you couldn't find any thing any cheaper because they were all very busy.
Got me thinking so I went home and ask the wife, the official record keeper while we are on the road, what it cost us for campgrounds.
Our fuel costs and campgrounds amounted to nine hundred dollars for the thirteen nights we were out.
It was the height of travel season so motels and everything were at their peak use, so that probably played into the higher costs.
We love our Airstream and the life style. We can't imagine eating out all the time on a long trip, yuck.
Your mileage and experiences may vary so plan accordingly.
Cheers;
Hickory

Hickory
hickory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 08:21 AM   #32

I recently did a cross country trip (total 30 days) and original Route 66 for 14 days of that. I was pulling a 52 Flying Cloud with a 2008 F150. Mpg avg was 13 @ 65/70 mph. Seems a bit low but LOTS of wind in every direction, especially in no mans land...trailer pulled great though. Stayed every night but one (due to flash flood/tornado warnings and storms) in rv/trailer/camp grounds. Parks ranged $20 (rural/dry) to $50 (Downtown OKC) with full hookups. Meals are the same buy/vs. build decision wherever you land. We shopped daily, kinda fun checking local markets, but certainly helps to have a cooler that can match your eating volume for a couple days, and just keep the heavy stuff like beer/etc out of the onboard fridge. Enjoy!
chopperusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 07:03 AM   #33
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Annandale , Virginia
First baby step...

My wife and I went up last week to Colonial Airstream to take a look at various Flying Cloud models. Right off bat, knew that a 23 wouldn't be enough for a long haul trip. 25 was better but, (un)surprisingly my wife thought a 27 footer - and an International at that - perhaps best, given that she has good taste. She remains a bit skeptical of the notion that we can cruise around the country for a year in such relatively tight quarters. I wonder about renting an Airstream (and tow vehicle) for a couple of weeks in order to give her (and me) a taste of the lifestyle. I remain enamored of the thought, especially after seeing models up close, but still need to bring her around. Anybody have experience with a rental?

Jack
Old 02-17-2014, 10:16 PM   #34
Rivet Master

2007 25' International CCD FB
Northridge , California
Airstream Los Angeles has rentals.
Airstream2GO | Rental Airstream Journeys
LilNomad
LiLNomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 11:17 PM   #35
3 Rivet Member

2009 28' International
Columbia , Illinois
We have grandkids on each coast. What is working for us is camp hosting close to them. We get to spend a couple of months with the grandkids, don't have to pay for a campsite, and have duties that keep us from getting in our kid's faces every day. Aside from giving back to the community, volunteering keeps us active, involved and not nattering back and forth at each other all the time

We write off the travel cost between coasts as a vacation cost.
sinjin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 12:01 PM   #36
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Annandale , Virginia
Thanks LilNomad, sinjin. I'll check with Colonial is there's anybody on East Coast that does rentals.