Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Full-Timing, Winter Living & Workamping
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-14-2018, 11:01 AM   #41
1 Rivet Member

1988 34.5' Airstream 345
Seattle , Washington
My wife and I use Xfinity. It rides on the Verizon network. We use the $12 per gig of shared data plan because we have WIFI at home and lots of WIFI hotspots in Seattle. With 2 new 256GB iPhone X units our monthly bill averages around $140 ($47 per phone, including insurance, plus use). When we hit the road we will switch from the $12 per gig to $45 per unit for unlimited.

Xfinity works wherever Verizon provides coverage.
SolAirstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 11:08 AM   #42
2 Rivet Member

1988 29' Excella
North East , Maryland
I did a lot of research on this in late 2017 after having a very difficult time with AT&T service in the western US. We had been with AT&T for many years and found their online support and local support lacking. Xfinity (Comcast) had just introduced their new cell service for their customers and while it was attractive, they did not have phones available to meet the demand of their services. The largest 2 carriers in the US are now Verizon and T-Mobil. AT&T was edged out by T-Mobil's aggressive expansion in the Western states over the past couple of years. As some have stated, the lower cost carriers run on Verizon lines and this could be your best bet for overall services. I suggest that you do your research online. The professional evaluations should be recently updated since we are getting into the holiday season and many people are shopping for new phones and plans. We have been happy with our new T-Mobil all inclusive plan (we have the seniors rate of $35/month) and buy 1 get 1 free iPhone from last Christmas.
Ladyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 11:23 AM   #43
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Morehead City , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airtandem View Post
does anyone have Consumer Cellular ? Comments?
We have CC, and are generally pleased. They have limitations in coverage, especially in the boonies. However, their plan price for our 2 phones is half of what Verizon’s was, and their customer service people are very nice and helpful. We didn’t have good coverage when we were in the New England area and The Maritimes, but we’re fine in N. C. For half the price, it’s worth the hassle of finding WiFi most of the time.
Diverjean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 11:26 AM   #44
1 Rivet Member

1999 19' Bambi
Morrison , Colorado
Cell phones

I had an iPhone under att for years, unlimited everything. Was running $125/mo. Switched to consumer cellular about a year ago. They aren’t as inexpensive as their advertising would have you believe. Now paying around $90/mo.
Pruckles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 12:00 PM   #45
Rivet Master

2017 27' Flying Cloud
Fort Worth , Texas
Back on the phone with AT&T as they keep changing our plan unbeknownst to us! What we would really like is to have two phones with some data and hotspot data and then a mifi that we can use at home and in the Airstream with a Weboost. According to AT&T, we can get a mifi with 50GB for an additional $60, and if on an unlimited data plan you can get an additional 50GB for free.
billrector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 12:23 PM   #46
TC1
1 Rivet Member

Pearland , Arkansas
We use our cable company (Comcast) for our cell service. 45 dollars unlimited or 12 per gig. If you do the 12 per gig it is a family plan. Our phones change from being on the web to cell tour (Verizon) automatically. My son uses Google for his provider and it uses multiple tours. Another savings with these plans are lower taxes. Most modern cell phones work with these plans.
TC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 12:36 PM   #47
1 Rivet Member

2018 26' Flying Cloud
Eagle , Idaho
Witeless

Check them all they are getting more competitive all the time. we went with a Verizon plan they gave us four lines for the price of two and purchased 4 phones for the price of two. Unlimited data too and it works in Canada- don’t know about México.
CarneyIdaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 01:24 PM   #48
Rivet Puller

2003 28' Safari S/O
Atlanta Burbs , Georgia
For those over 55 with a Florida, Illinois, or Missouri billing address, here is a great deal from Verizon for two lines; $80/mth for unlimited talk/text/data.

https://www.verizonwireless.com/plans/55plus/

Sir Tristan
Air #48582, S/SO #003, WBCCI #4584
SeeMore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 01:58 PM   #49
2 Rivet Member

2015 Interstate Ext. Coach
Mesa , Arizona
I believe the AARP discount with Consumer Cellular is 5%, not $150 as stated.
Moodywelman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 02:26 PM   #50
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
2000 30' Excella
1999 30' Excella 1000
Low Country , South Carolina
Had Verizon for 15 years. Cost kept rising. Needed new phones too. Phones were $100- $150 MORE with Verizon than Consumer Cellular. Our 2 phones w unlimited talk, text and 5 g data is less that $60 mo. w taxes. Was almost $200. w Verizon.
Consumer Cellular recently raised our data plan benefit and did NOT raise our fees. Get good reception almost everywhere even boonies, up east, Canada, etc...
Very happy w CC
Old 11-14-2018, 03:10 PM   #51
2 Rivet Member

2016 27' International
San Anselmo , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by featherbedder View Post
Both Penny and I have consumer cellular. Had ser. when almost no one had any at camp out when trying to make res. for coe. rates are very reasonable for 2 lines, with 400 min. per mo. no extra for long distance,only draw back they use Tmobile and ATT for serv. as they don't have any towers etc. also extra chge for text that we don't believe in, so no prob. Had ATT changed rates [lowered never notified] nextell now called sprint very exp. Have verizon unlimited for internet as we do not like any ph. avble. for all these services as only use to talk never send pics, text plus ph. cost under $50.00 per phone, if have old style small ATT flip ph. till works w/out pur. newer ph. [We have 1 of each.] So far serv. has been exc. except our house 3/4 mile from tower some times weak signal no where else this prob.
Th uo ery ch
ondaroadagin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 03:32 PM   #52
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Spokane , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by billrector View Post
... According to AT&T, we can get a mifi with 50GB for an additional $60, and if on an unlimited data plan you can get an additional 50GB for free.

Wait a minute. If you are on an "unlimited data plan" why would you need an additional 50GB for free? Did they actually say this to you? Unlimited means, without limits. Am I missing something here?
aftermath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 06:55 PM   #53
Rivet Master

2017 27' Flying Cloud
Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by aftermath View Post
Wait a minute. If you are on an "unlimited data plan" why would you need an additional 50GB for free? Did they actually say this to you? Unlimited means, without limits. Am I missing something here?
Ah...you would think unlimited is "unlimited" but it is not. There are two caveats....1) You have a limited amount of data you can use before they have the right to throttle your speed back. We've had this happen and "throttle" means turned off. 2) Unlimited does not include hot spot data. There, we are limited to 15GB each on each of our lines.

Great marketing....huh?
Old 11-14-2018, 07:17 PM   #54
3 Rivet Member

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
Barnstable , Massachusetts
Cell Plans

Just returned from 12 wk/12,000mi trip around the US and Canada. I switched from AT&T to Xfinity Mobile $45/myth unlimited everything just before leaving. We left Anne’s w/ AT&T just in case. We were notified by ATT 4 hrs after arriving in Canada that she had racked up $148 bill (hadn’t used the phone yet) (apparently just using data in the background doing auto upgrades). She had to stop using her phone for 6 was until we could get to an Xfinity location to switch her phone over. I was a total Xfinity convert (coverage was great everywhere!) we used a massive amount of data streaming hours of video every night.......until the end of the third month. I got an email telling me my bill had been computed and it was $978.20 for the month of October! I had called Xfinity the day we entered Canada to confirm our unlimited everything plan was $45 no additional charges for anything. YES SIR, THATS IT!
Well, 3 hrs on the phone with them and 4 levels of supervisors, I got the bill back to $45.😤😠.
So, the take away. Xfinity uses all the Verizon towers, same quality coverage. Apparently they do charge roaming fees in Canada(despite claims to the contrary). $45 unlimited everything. Will stick with them
Gulliver72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 09:33 PM   #55
Rivet Master

2017 28' International
Jim Falls , Wisconsin
Don’t go ATT. Hassle if you have problems
Daquenzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 05:17 AM   #56
Rivet Master

2017 27' Flying Cloud
Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daquenzer View Post
Don’t go ATT. Hassle if you have problems

Make that “when” you have problems.
Old 11-15-2018, 06:26 AM   #57
Wolfwhistle

Margaritaville , Banana Republic
Cell providers say unlimited, but there is always a catch, thus a limit. I’m on AT&T on my daughters plan for $20 a month. If we run low on Giggles, she calls and orders more.

There is no one-size-fits-all perfect plan for everyone. What I love you might hate. What works great in one place sux in another. Also the plans change often, thus why I provided that link.

This couple keeps up with them for you. Also providing maps so you can find signal almost anywhere. These are folks that absolutely rely on signal for their livelihood and know what they’re talking about. They have and test Multiple providers with various enhancers and tactics.
WW
Old 11-15-2018, 06:49 AM   #58
3 Rivet Member

1962 22' Safari
Leo , Indiana
Why does a 9 and 11 year old need a phone? Especially when traveling with parents.
Jimroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 07:19 AM   #59
Rivet Master

1999 30' Excella 1000
small town , Maryland
Thanks for everyone's advise. Don't laugh but, still using a razor flip. Also have a old computer with windows 7. I can see all of you smiling at me...not with me. Is their a way to make calls and use the net off a I-pad pro with the big carriers? Trying to save two birds from a stone. Time to get into the 21 century. Yes, I'm Christmas shopping for myself. Thank you for your advice. We all have each others back on this site.
streaminwild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 09:01 AM   #60
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimroll View Post
Why does a 9 and 11 year old need a phone? Especially when traveling with parents.
Daughter has had a phone since that age. Reason is I can communicate with her, or even more important, track her whereabouts accurately if she gets lost or worse. (Find my iPhone app) With both parents working, she had to take care of herself after school.

It's a peace of mind thing...
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote