Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-07-2018, 10:22 AM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Tucson , Arizona
Should I Get a 2nd Battery?

Howdy,

Considering a 2nd battery for my 2019 Sport 22FB. It has factory solar and one battery, the original Lifeline AGM.

I gather it's best to have 2 similar age/usage batteries instead of an old and new one so since mine has seen little to no use the best time is now.

What I'll be doing in the short term is doing some gem shows, Quartzsite for 2 months, and doing business out of the AS. So having access to fully charged battery for computer and phone important. Should have shore power but a failure could put me out of business at a bad time.

I run my business online and if I get an order while on the road need the option to pull over and process labels etc. I may have to use some sort of converter to fire up printer but it would be a small 24v 2 amp thermal which I'm sure the batteries could power for a minute.

So.. I guess I should get exactly the same model right?
Are they simple to hook up, - to -; + to + with a heavy ga wire?
Any old dual battery box work or is there a locking type? Hate to have $700 of battery walk away!

I'm also looking at the Victron BMV-712 Battery Monitor. Any issues with 2 batteries or is there a different model for such?

Thanks,

Rounder44
Rounder44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 10:55 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2018 25' Flying Cloud
Portland , Oregon
Yes you do want your batteries to match. Either two 12v batteries in parallel (+ to + and - to minus) or a pair of 6v batteries in series (- to + between batteries and then power out of the end.). Replacing the battery box can be a pain if you don’t have one that can hold two.

The other option would be a single Lithium battery from Battleborn. They are designed to be a drop-in replacements and have about the capacity of two midlife AGM batteries because they can be discharged deeper. These have electronics built in to hopefully keep them from being damaged from mistreatment. They do, however, cost around $950.

The Victron battery monitor is about the best you can buy, that’s a fine choice.
daleyocum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 03:54 PM   #3
Dr Moreau

2021 16' Caravel
Waco , Texas
Two 6 volt batteries properly installed (as above) will give you about 30% longer life than two 12 volt batteries. I full-timed for about 5 months and appreciated the extra life.
dr moreau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 08:20 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1991 25' Excella
2011 19' Flying Cloud
Santa Ynez , California
Not normally one to recomend a generator but sounds like your situation could benifit as a backup source of power. Odd that AS would go to the trouble of solar with a single battery? One group 24 does not give you much storage, especially concidering the long cold nights of winter.
Any pics of your storefront and what you sell?

Alan
AlinCal is offline   Reply With Quote