Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Full-Timing, Winter Living & Workamping
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-28-2016, 11:51 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
Camp Hosts: National Forest / Park Service

I had to dig into Camp Hosting just for my own information. By an Internet Search of National Forest Camp Host Jobs... there are 3,620,000 results. I am looking at the first... ten.

www.camphost.org
www.fs.usda.gov/jobs/volunteer
www.forestcamping.com/dow/dow/host/htm

... are a couple.

Get more selective and add on the search a specific State, National Forest, National Park.

Even I was surprised at the variety of Camp Hosting options to found right now, for this year's season.

The recruitment season is in full force as I type. Once you have qualified and spent a season as a Camp Host... you are then a known quantity among the hundreds, if not thousands who do not have the trailer or RV for shelter.

Anyone tried this themselves? What was your experience? Where was your Camp Host location?

I have met Camp Hosts at many campsites. They are usually at the better visited Base Camp sites. Some may be mining towns, like Garnet Ghost Town in Montana, which we camped on mine tailings near there, as there was a charge to visit the Ghost Town. Even "ghosts" need to pay for upkeep.

This would be an excellent way to break into a Full Timing career, as some pay and some offers provide provision compensation as you live and work... Full Timing at wonderful camp sites.

Get that Camp Hosting site of choice... and let us know how it worked out. All will be interested. We will all be envious to hear of your new Adventure in your Airstream or camper...
Old 02-28-2016, 04:30 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

1953 21' Flying Cloud
Laramie , Wyoming
This is what my husband and I wish to do during our retirement.
Greenfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 05:14 PM   #3
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Don't forget camp hosts at Corps of Engineers campgrounds…

http://www.usace.army.mil/Missions/C...rtunities.aspx
Old 02-28-2016, 07:55 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
Lake Mead next to Hoover Dam, Boulder City, Nevada has one or more Camp Hosts that get electricity... That would be a premium hosting position.

Double Cabin, DuBois, Wyoming has a camp host at the campground. No electricity... but plenty of fresh air, sunshine, snow in July and OK fishing. You never know when a position opens up, until you ask.

Protagonist tossed in Corps of Engineer campgrounds. Find a reservoir... Corps of Engineers. Probably Cherry Creek Reservoir near Denver, Colorado and Chatfield Reservoir outside of Littleton, Colorado. Lake of the Ozarks in southern Missouri and north Arkansas?

Greenfire... Granite or Crystal Reservoir may be too small for a Camp Host... but the fishing has always been great after Game and Fish drop the trout stock in time for Summer! Stop by and visit us at the Territorial Prison August 13th.... we will have a lot of shiny aluminum trailers of all vintages in Laramie!

... and commercial seasonal campgrounds! If you have a home on wheels and like dealing with people, kids and dogs... you are already wanted for this season.
Old 02-29-2016, 04:47 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I believe all camp host sites I have seen have full hookups, regardless the amenities at individual sites.

Maggie
Old 02-29-2016, 04:52 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
Upper St Clair , Pennsylvania
I am trying it this summer for the first time but not as a camp host but as a tour guide and general handyman at the National Historic DC Booth Fish Hatchery in Spearfish SD. Full hook ups, cable TV, camp on the Spearfish River - 300 yards from the hatchery. We have camped in the campground several times and love it so decided to apply and was accepted.
Volunteer K9 Rehabilitator & Trainer
paiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 07:19 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1999 28' Excella
New Orleans , Louisiana
All camp hosts do not have FHUs. We stayed at Camp Dick in CO and they used generators and brought honey truck in for sewer. I guess that would be a modified FHU. We hosted a Rec area in WV and would not do that again. To get the job done there were too many unpaid hours. We did have FHUs. It did make us appreciate our hosts a lot more.

We are full-timers and for the time being I work at AMZN in KY. This year is a travel year for us then back to AMZN. Next year volunteering is the plan.
badkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 07:45 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
Most COE campgrounds we frequent at Table Rock Lake have two campground hosts. They run the check in station and are liaisons for campers to report issues so contracted vendors can make repairs. Law enforcement is the local sheriff.

I'm not sure I'd want to be a campground host for the summer at Table Rock but even if they just pay for the site and utilities you are saving a lot in monthly expenses.

Being a campground host at a popular first come first served National Park campground could be stressful trying to get campers searching for elusive vacant sites to place nice.

Kelvin
Old 02-29-2016, 07:51 AM   #9
3 Rivet Member

2014 30' Flying Cloud
Ponce Inlet , Florida
https://www.volunteer.gov/index.cfm site lists National Park, Forest, Army Corps, BLM and other federal agency volunteer positions. Some states also list their positions as well. The site is updated daily, easy to use, gives quite a bit of info and POC's for most jobs.

We applied for and got our Bryce Canyon Camp Host job from that site.
Beach Bum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 08:42 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
What were the details of that job description.

Were there any campsite hookups?

How long were you there?

Was there a 2nd host to give you days off?

Kelvin
Old 02-29-2016, 11:08 AM   #11
Refugee from Napa, CA

2015 25' Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Formerly Napa , On the road
My hosting job is a small ten site campground in the High Sierra at 8,000 feet. No electric, but I am provided five gallons of gas a week for my generators. There is a dump for me but all sites are first come first serve with no hookups. There are also two group sites. The campground has never been full...I work from mid-may to the first week of October. The job is simple, and the campers (for the most part) are a delight.

People that camp here have been coming here for seventy years and last year I had a group for their 47th year. Within two miles there is plenty of disbursed camping (boon docking) along the creek. To get to the campground is a nine mile road of washboard, it tends to keep the idiots out.

Lots of hiking and fishing and town is thirteen miles away. It is a nice way to live...
Old 02-29-2016, 12:29 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member

1953 21' Flying Cloud
Laramie , Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Eklund View Post
Greenfire... Granite or Crystal Reservoir may be too small for a Camp Host... but the fishing has always been great after Game and Fish drop the trout stock in time for Summer! Stop by and visit us at the Territorial Prison August 13th.... we will have a lot of shiny aluminum trailers of all vintages in Laramie!
I'm about a 10 minute walk (or less) from there, so will definitely come say hi!
Greenfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 12:29 PM   #13
4 Rivet Member

1988 32.5' Airstream 325
WhereIam , Left Coast Proud
My question is, as a campground host do you ever have time to enjoy the camping and hiking and kayaking and fishing? There's a reason we retired, and it wasn't to clean the bathrooms for hundreds of campers, LOL! We too could most definitely use the price break, gas just getting anywhere slays us.
3wd67rg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 12:38 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1962 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
1962 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
In talking with the camp ground hosts at Kartchner recently they advised there are two hosts and they work 3 on and 3 off. They really liked the schedule. It appeared most of their duties were to answer questions, check you in, do rounds of vacated spots, tidy the bathrooms and campsites. There is s contracted Vendor that comes to thoroughly GI the bathrooms. They were both very positive couples and cheery to interact with.

Hittenstiehl
Hittenstiehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 01:38 PM   #15
Living Riveted since 2013

2016 Interstate Lounge Ext
Green Cove Springs , Florida
Camp Hosts: National Forest / Park Service

We looked into this last year, as we would not be willing to clean bathrooms as volunteers. Duties vary significantly depending on the service and even the park for which you volunteer. Do your research so you won't be surprised by their requirements for volunteer camp hosts.

Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 02:26 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
My wife, who has banking/cash handling experience, said it would be OK with her if she got a job at a National Park concessionaire and I could take care of stuff in the Airstream, cooking and then go hiking everyday. I hope I can hold her up to that when the time comes.

Kelvin
Old 02-29-2016, 04:09 PM   #17
3 Rivet Member

2016 23' Flying Cloud
Dallas , Texas
There are companies that lease several campgrounds, primarily forest service, that then have the responsibility of taking care of the campgrounds and do the hiring directly. Some hire maintenance people, host people, etc. Finding out who has the primary lease is the key. Have done it, not bad, lots of nice people, sometime a problem guest but thats life. Most or many have full hookups for the camp host even if the grounds do not. They pay some, not much, a few hundred per month. Handling the reservations, if taken, can be a problem as the reservations are usually made through a third party and we found a lot of mistakes, which makes for not so happy campers. If you are interested, give it a try for a while and see how it fits you.

I hope this day to have the opportunity to help someone in need.
Kittyfeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 05:15 PM   #18
3 Rivet Member

2014 30' Flying Cloud
Ponce Inlet , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by KJRitchie View Post
What were the details of that job description.

Were there any campsite hookups?

How long were you there?

Was there a 2nd host to give you days off?

Kelvin

Making the rounds four times a day pick up litter clean fire pits...

Early AM to pull expiring tags from site and hang new ones on the reserved site.

Around 10-11 clean fire pits and remind stragglers of check out time

mid afternoon report site availability and to check up on things

last round to remind folks to turnoff their generators.

Announcement was very clear NO BATHROOM Cleaning. Only restocking of supplies TP, soap... during the day if needed. We are not law enforcement just gently remind folks of the campground rules. Provide info, answer questions ....

We are provided full hook ups and propane as well.

This is our first camp host gig. Its a half season position we start 26 March and finish 15 July. It was scheduled to start 15 April they asked us if we could come early but there was no pressure. We agreed. End of March at Bryce what were we thinking .... these Floridian's are going to freeze our butts off.

There 4 campground hosts two at each campground. We work 3 on and 3 off. So there is plenty of time to explore. The ranger said sometimes the Camp Hosts arrange to work back to back with the other Host so they can explore outside the park as well.

Since this is our first time camp hosting we thought a 1/2 summer job would be perfect to see if we like it. Also we found out after we got the job another camp host is an Airstreamer
Old 02-29-2016, 07:39 PM   #19
4 Rivet Member

2003 31' Classic
Terra Alta , West Virginia
Good thread. Will follow because someday....
wvstreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 08:45 PM   #20
3 Rivet Member

2014 30' Flying Cloud
Ponce Inlet , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by KJRitchie View Post
My wife, who has banking/cash handling experience, said it would be OK with her if she got a job at a National Park concessionaire and I could take care of stuff in the Airstream, cooking and then go hiking everyday. I hope I can hold her up to that when the time comes.

Kelvin
Some of the national parks have book stores/gift shops run by non profits that have volunteer and paying positions. I have not seen a clearing house for these jobs so its looking them up park by park.