Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Winterizing, Storage, Carports & Covers
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-01-2016, 01:32 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2010 23' Flying Cloud
Traverse City , Michigan
Question Winterizing Problem

I have a problem that is stumping me. Hoping that someone can bail me out. This year I have a new (used) 23ft Flying Cloud - 2010. I have been doing this winterizing process with my RVs for over 40 years without any problem, including an old AS. Winterizing the AS this year, I disconnected the intake on the water pump and attached my tube to take in the anti-freeze. The problem is the anti-freeze would go back into the water tank. The by-passed valves are set correctly for winterizing. Is there something that I am missing? My only thought is maybe a check valve is failing somewhere in the system? But then again the system holds pressure when using the water pump. My dealer which is 1,200 miles away told me to put the anti-freeze in the tank and feed it from there? Not too crazy about that idea. The winter storage for our unit is in Coastal Alabama so I still have time to get on top of this! Perplexed and/or confused...
Larry49684 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 01:35 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
Upper St Clair , Pennsylvania
I install a by pass or siphoning kit on the Airstreams we have owned. Turn a valve that comes with the kit and put a clear hose that also comes with the kit in the bottle of anti freeze and turn the pump on and open facets etc. No problem. Not sure why your anti freeze would go into the tank, did you blow out the system first?
Volunteer K9 Rehabilitator & Trainer
paiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 01:55 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
If you disconnected the intake from the fresh water tank to the water pump and connected your tube from the anti freeze jug directly to the pump intake, there is no way the anti freeze could go back into the fresh water tank tank. So, I don't understand what you did.

Now, if you mean your anti freeze is going into the HOT water tank (you stated "water tank", and I assume you meant the fresh water tank), the solutions are different. Your post may need clarifying.

The by pass valves on the water heater keep the water heater from filling up with anti freeze and do not lead back to the fresh water tank.

If some PO added a way for the fresh water tank to be filled directly from the city water inlet and there is some added valve for that, hidden somewhere, it is a search mission to see how the plumbing has been modified. That is the only way I can think of that the anti freeze is going back to the fresh water tank.

BTW how do you know the anti freeze is going into the fresh water tank?

Yes, you have a mystery to figure out. Maybe more than one. I am thinking however that you mean the antifreeze is going into the hot water tank. When you say the "water tank" it would assume the fresh water tank, not the hot water heater tank.

I also may have cluttered up the issue, if so, sorry.
idroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 07:22 PM   #4
1 Rivet Member

2010 23' Flying Cloud
Traverse City , Michigan
I never blown my tank out first. If I pull in the anti-freeze it replaces the water in the line. Actually my process is the same, connect the hose to the intake and it sucks in the anti-freeze.
Old 01-01-2016, 07:31 PM   #5
1 Rivet Member

2010 23' Flying Cloud
Traverse City , Michigan
The anti-freeze ends up in the water storage tank. I know because I have the tank drain(s) open and the anti-freeze comes out there. I do get a little through when I open the faucet but not much. The hot water tank is good, it is empty. There is something strange going on and you are right, it does not make any sense to me. Thanks for your thoughts. Larry
Old 01-01-2016, 09:51 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
Do you have an accumulator in the system?
Are you leaving a sink valve open even after you disconnect the line from the pump intake to the AF bottle?
Does anti freeze run out the FW tank drain any time the pump is running and you are pumping AF? Perhaps a PO put some kind of recirculating system which returns water to the FW tank. If you don't reconnect the tank outlet hose to the pump do you still get AF in the FW tank?
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 10:22 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2017 23' International
Waukee , Iowa
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry49684 View Post
The anti-freeze ends up in the water storage tank. I know because I have the tank drain(s) open and the anti-freeze comes out there. I do get a little through when I open the faucet but not much. The hot water tank is good, it is empty. There is something strange going on and you are right, it does not make any sense to me. Thanks for your thoughts. Larry
You might be looking at the the low point drain valves. These are the low points in the plumbing, not the fresh water tank. If these are open then your pump will cycle continuously pouring anti-freeze out. This sounds similar to what you are describing.

The fresh water tank drain is generally located between the wheels.

I wrote this up a while ago. Might be helpful.

https://glamourstream.wordpress.com/...o-winterizing/
streamer_a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 11:06 AM   #8
1 Rivet Member

2010 23' Flying Cloud
Traverse City , Michigan
Rivert Master, When I start to pull the anti-freeze all faucets are off...it then feeds directly into the FW tank... I did a quick look to see if I could see any additional plumbing anywhere...negative. The anti-freeze only comes from the FW tank when the pump is pulling Anti-freeze. If I open a faucet when pulling AF just a trickle comes out. We use the water pump a lot this summer and everything worked as it should.
Old 01-02-2016, 11:08 AM   #9
1 Rivet Member

2010 23' Flying Cloud
Traverse City , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by streamer_a View Post
You might be looking at the the low point drain valves. These are the low points in the plumbing, not the fresh water tank. If these are open then your pump will cycle continuously pouring anti-freeze out. This sounds similar to what you are describing.

The fresh water tank drain is generally located between the wheels.

I wrote this up a while ago. Might be helpful.

https://glamourstream.wordpress.com/...o-winterizing/
The drains I am talking about are on the water tank between the wheels. I emptied the water out before I started the winterizing process. Larry
Old 01-02-2016, 11:17 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2007 28' International CCD
Springfield , Missouri
Winterizing Problem

Those are you hot and cold low water (metal )drains and have nothing to do with your tanks.The white (plastic)tap drains your fresh water tank

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
Moflash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 11:23 AM   #11
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Walnut Creek , California
Our 2015 FC23FB has two low point drains. They are 1/4 turn metal valves located next to the drain valve for the fresh water tank which is a 1/2 turn plastic valve. So, maybe the low point valves are the problem. They would need to be closed to build pressure in the plumbing lines. Pat

Mo has faster fingers. Bet your low points are the problem.
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 10:56 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member

2017 23' International
Waukee , Iowa
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry49684 View Post
The drains I am talking about are on the water tank between the wheels. I emptied the water out before I started the winterizing process. Larry
These are the plumbing low point drains, not the fresh water tank drain. The fresh water tank drain probably looks like a white plastic pepcock valve between the wheels.

If you have anti-freeze in the plumbing and open the low point drains, it will come out. The link in my previous post might help.

You don't have anti-freeze going into your fresh water tank.
streamer_a is offline   Reply With Quote