Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Winterizing, Storage, Carports & Covers
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-15-2013, 12:09 PM   #1

2007 27' Safari FB SE
South lake tahoe , California
Valve positions for winterizing

I have a 2007 Safari. When I winterize, I usually turn off the hot and cold water valves behind the hot water heater. Then I open up the bypass valve. When I pump in the anti-freeze, it goes into the hot water tank. If I turn off the bypass, it does not go into the hot water tank. Since the other two valves are turned off, how does this happen? IMO, nothing should go into the tank if the other two valves are turned off.
Tahoe John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 12:22 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
Sounds very strange andat first doesn't seem possible!

I had to make a little sketch to think about it!

Is it possible that perhaps the "hot water out" valve from your HWT is not closing properly?

That way, when you have your bypass open, the antifreeze coming in the cold water line, would go through through the open bypass valve and could backfeed through the "hot water out" valve into the HW tank.

When you close the bypass, it cannot go that way - but then, it would not be able to flow to your hot water taps either!

Be interesting to hear what you eventually find!

Brian

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Wingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 12:33 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
If you drain the water heater by its outside plug, the following 'winter' position will allow you to blow out lines and pump in antifreeze without running any antifreeze into your water heater.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Water heater bypass valves.jpg
Views:	3062
Size:	13.2 KB
ID:	179005

I don't try to fill my pipes with RV antifreeze. There's a small but significant amount of water left in the system after I blow it out (moreso if using the recommend max of 40 psi). Then I just pump the antifreeze through each area to protect valves & lowpoints, collecting the relatively undiluted antifreeze at spigots and using it again. Once all plumbing is treated I use the recovered antifreeze to flush out the drain traps in kitchen, bathroom & shower. Remember to treat the toilet flush too. And take out the kitchen faucet filter before running antifreeze through -- it'll ruin those.

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 11:20 PM   #4

2007 27' Safari FB SE
South lake tahoe , California
The reason I know the anti-freeze is going into the tank is because the plug is off and I can see it pouring out of the tank. The drawing follows my reasoning as well. The only way the anti-freeze can make it to the HWT side of the valve would be through the valve. Hate having anti-freeze going into the tank. Usually doing this chore at the Rv storage lot. No electricity for a compressor, though I could make arrangements (inverter).
Tahoe John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 09:50 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1988 32' Excella
Robbinsville , New Jersey
Sounds like one of your valves may have failed, my father had this happen on his trailer where the handle would turn but the valve would stay open.
Wazbro is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 10:03 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
What Wazbro said. I can think of no other reason.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 08:09 PM   #7
Sbb
begorragirl

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Denville , New Jersey
Newbi here, I was going to have my trailer dewinterized, but since I lost my title( really in such a safe place, I can't find it), i have to now dewinterize myself, while I wait for a notarized statement from my PO. So above is a little sketch, do I put my pipes in that position and then run water thru everything to get antifreeze out? Whatelse do I have to do? Do I have to insert an anode for the hot water heater? I tried the search forum and came up short on finding instructions. I am scheduled to leave April 4th, as long as I can get my plates. Thanks for any guidence. My pipes are under the bed, 2006 19' CCD BAmbi. Sbb
Sbb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 08:02 AM   #8
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sbb View Post
Do I have to insert an anode for the hot water heater? I tried the search forum and came up short on finding instructions.
I'm no authority on winterizing or dewinterizing (summerizing?) living where I do. But as far as the water heater anode is concerned, it will depend on the make and model of water heater. Some require anodes, others do not. Check your water heater owner's manual.

If you've got a 6-gallon Atwood, as I do, then it has an aluminum-plated tank, and doesn't use anodes.
Old 03-23-2013, 07:52 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1988 32' Excella
Robbinsville , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
I'm no authority on winterizing or dewinterizing (summerizing?) living where I do. But as far as the water heater anode is concerned, it will depend on the make and model of water heater. Some require anodes, others do not. Check your water heater owner's manual.

If you've got a 6-gallon Atwood, as I do, then it has an aluminum-plated tank, and doesn't use anodes.
I've been told that snowbirds call preparing a trailer for summer storage summerizing.
Wazbro is online now   Reply With Quote