Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Winterizing, Storage, Carports & Covers
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-11-2019, 09:37 AM   #21
3 Rivet Member

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
Snoqualmie , Washington
Well I also have not winterized (never do up here in Snoqualmie Wa.), just keep heaters on when cold. We seem to have someone over every few weeks so we just keep it up and running. This will be the coldest year so far with my AS but still no signs of leaks. I do throw a gallon of antifreeze in the sink, shower, toilet and bathroom sink. I queried the mechanics at our NW dealer several years ago during one of the seminars and they agreed that in Seattle area they don't see a need for winterizing - but then again it has been getting pretty cold out. Hopefully we both will not have any problems (but at least put some Antifreeze in).
Anders79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 09:39 AM   #22
2 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari SS SE
Poulsbo , WA
Excellent advice, Anders79; thank you and good luck, as well!
wandered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 11:23 AM   #23
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
If you have shore power, and don't want to winterize, these small 120-volt Dampp Chasers are great to put into remote locations where the risk of a freeze-up is highest. They have a low wattage draw, and keep the trailer nice and dry. Originally designed to keep pianos from absorbing too much humidity, they are very handy:

https://www.amazon.com/Dampp-Chaser-...=Dampp+chasers

Lengths of 2' 3' and 4'. Our local hardware store carries them.

Peter
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 04:03 AM   #24
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anders79 View Post
. . .
. . . I queried the mechanics at our NW dealer several years ago during one of the seminars and they agreed that in Seattle area they don't see a need for winterizing - but then again it has been getting pretty cold out.
. . .
Looks like the Seattle area had some overnight lows of 21 F a few days ago . . . hope everyone made out OK.

Peter
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 08:32 AM   #25
2 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari SS SE
Poulsbo , WA
Thanks Peter -- we got a record snowfall for February -- over 20"!

With some warmer temps and rain yesterday, we seem to be cleared for work (but not school).

Trailer seems good -- space heaters still running. I finally got power to trailer but it stalls at breaker box. GFCI doesn't trip on test AND I think the converter is bad. Good times.

The kids next door have been loving the sledding!
Old 02-18-2019, 11:34 AM   #26
2 Rivet Member

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Friday Harbor , Washington
San Juan Islander

As usual the Airstreamers come to the rescue. Just for one more way forward story. Our weather is more or less same as yours. I have never done the full Monty. I live full time in my AS. When away in winter, I leave two space heaters on low, open the cabinet doors, and have a plugged in electric blanket near water heater. All blinds are closed to retain modest warmth. I am hoping snow didn't damage awning. Hopefully we will get a final report from you. Good wishes.
Rob Cope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 10:31 AM   #27
2 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari SS SE
Poulsbo , WA
Thank you to all that responded and offered support and guidance.

Quick update for you: the 20+ inch snowfall was a February record for our area -- and now it's 98% gone. We had a light dusting last night, with 1-3 inches expected today. Thanks to your feedback, "Wanda" was able to not only survive, but actually thrive as I was able to heartily begin restoring its interior once I had a bit of power and warmth inside of her (there's a song in there somewhere).

Presently, "Wanda" sits at the dealer so they may perform a full systems inspection (which was scheduled during the storm and subsequently rescheduled). As you may recall, this was a very recent acquisition and I have very little historical information about her since the prior owners are deceased.

Aside from cosmetic issues and low-quality components failing (e.g. bathroom fan motor), the only major issue reported was that the trailer top needed to be stripped and re-sealed. It's not an inexpensive service at the dealer...but, I'm still too new to take that project on myself since I want to make a maiden voyage during April and I still have a day job. The good news: they found anti-freeze in some of the lines and the trailer had been winterized!

Thanks again, everyone!

Ed (soon to be wandering...)