Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-24-2008, 04:39 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2007 28' Safari SE
Denver , North Carolina
What to use as leveling blocks

Hello:

I am new to the RV world and I have a 2007 Safari 27 Ft. SE what do use for leveling at a park or site. Do I need wooden blocks to lower the levelers onto ?

Thanks
Tom
flint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 04:47 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Placerville , California
What you need to level first are the axles. You can buy the 'lego' type 12" X 12" blocks that work pretty good. I have those but I also carry 6- 2X8X16 or so. If need be you can place blocks under your levelers to STABILIZE your coach. DO NOT attempt to raise the coach with the levelers. Once the axles, or the beam of the coach is level the you can level it front to back with the tongue jack.
Enjoy your Airstream.
Neil
FreshAir #12407

Kirk Creek, Big Sur, Ca. coast.

1966 Trade Wind

1971 Buick Centurion convertible
455 cid

1969 Oldsmobile Ninety Eight
455 cid
FreshAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 04:52 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1974 27' Overlander
1954 26' Romany Cruiser
1960 26' Overlander
Rockingham County , New Hampshire
Send a message via AIM to balrgn Send a message via Yahoo to balrgn
Quote:
Originally Posted by flint
Hello:

I am new to the RV world and I have a 2007 Safari 27 Ft. SE what do use for leveling at a park or site. Do I need wooden blocks to lower the levelers onto ?

Thanks
Tom
I use 6" x 6" plywood for the levelers, a good solid 6" x 6" under the frong jack.

Also under the wheels:
We one or the other, depending where we are, I have found the Lego type sink in an Grassy (boondocking) areas. 3' and 4' long 2 x 8 work well but do not store all that well.

And I have found the type of wheel chock that goes between the wheels take more of the rocking back and forth as you walk around inside your rig to be better than the "chocks"

Enjoy your rig!
'60 Overlander (Hoagy)
2007 GMC Sierra 2500 HD Duramax
WBCCI 1754 - AIR # 6281
www.balrgn.com
balrgn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 05:15 PM   #4

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Greetings from the Florida Panhandle

We use the Lynx ( the "ORANGE LEGGOS") brand levelling blocks. You can get them in the RV section at Wal-Mart for about 30 bucks for a 10-pack in a nice blue carrying bag. We have used them extensively, and have found that they work great. I recently purchased a second set to build a set of portable ramps to change the oil on the Suburbans.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 05:21 PM   #5
Rivet Master

Lisle , Illinois
Nintendo Wii's work good too

Can you tell I am sick of the one my kids got???????
AIR#3788 TAC IL-10
No trailers...
till is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 05:22 PM   #6
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by flint
Hello:

Thanks
Tom
Tom.

The only thing in the trailer that "must" be as level as you can get, "is the freezer compartment" of the reefer.

Obviously that is hard to do when the freezer is in use.

That problem is easily solved by mounting an exterior level on the outside of the trailer. Where you mount it depends on what kind you like.

You then calibrate the exterior level, to the freezer plate.

From there on, since you do the leveling of the trailer from the exterior, is to check the exterior level.

The built in jacks are called "bal," not ball, but bal.

They are "NOT" used to level the trailer, without risk of breaking them.

They are a "stabilizing jack "ONLY."

You basically must level the trailer from side to side with blocks. You then level the trailer from front to back with the jack that's on the "A" frame.

And finally, you stabilize the trailer with the Bal jacks. Unless the trailer is on a concrete pad, place either a jack pad under each jack foot, or a section of a 2" X 6."

Lower a jack until it just touches the board or concrete. Then turn the crank 1 or 2 full turns.

That should fine tune leveling the trailer and stabilize it as well.

You may have to increase the turns on the crank to 3, depending on how stabile you want the rig to be.

Once again, Bal jacks are "NOT" for lifting, but for stabilizing.

We sell many of those jacks to owners that disagreed, and tried to lift the trailer, only to find out that they broke it.

A 2 x 6 is 1 5/8 thick. Thats how much a board will lift a single axle. If you have a tandem axle, you can reduce that lift, if not needed, by placing the 2 x 6, under one tire only.

Or, you can carry some 2 x 6's and 1 x 6' as well.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 06:12 PM   #7
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by moosetags
We use the Lynx ( the "ORANGE LEGGOS") brand levelling blocks. You can get them in the RV section at Wal-Mart for about 30 bucks for a 10-pack in a nice blue carrying bag. We have used them extensively, and have found that they work great. I recently purchased a second set to build a set of portable ramps to change the oil on the Suburbans.

Brian
I will second or third? the Lynx Levelers the Lynx chocks work well too. I have been using the same set for over 6 years and they are still going strong. They are "almost" idiot proof. On my popup I had levels with the inch marking on them, it took one block per inch to level it up.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 06:16 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2003 22' International CCD
Kiln , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by wahoonc
I will second or third? the Lynx Levelers the Lynx chocks work well too. I have been using the same set for over 6 years and they are still going strong. They are "almost" idiot proof. On my popup I had levels with the inch marking on them, it took one block per inch to level it up.

Aaron
I 4th that advice, although I do travel with 4 16" long 2X8's that I use when it's really a bad campsite. I have yet to see the LYNX CHOCKS in person but will look at Camping World next time for some. They would solve an issue I have with the slope on my driveway. My Lynx Levels are 6 years old also - passed down from the PO.
clancy_boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 06:44 PM   #9
Rivet Master

Massachusetts
Send a message via Yahoo to yukionna
We use scrap 2 x 6's or 2 x 8's in either pressure treated or trex for leveling the wheels.

Attitude is the only difference between ordeal and adventure
yukionna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 06:58 PM   #10
4 Rivet Member

2007 27' Safari FB SE
Full Timers just passing through , Arizona for a couple of weeks and then on to Utah!
Levelers

Linx levelers get my vote as well. If you want to get it perfect, keep a couple of 1/2 inch thick plywood squares (10"X10") in your bag so that you can tweak it. Andy is right..don't try to level with your stabilizers.. all you get is a broken stabilizer.
Old 03-24-2008, 07:15 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2009 27' FB Flying Cloud
1982 31' International
1991 35' Airstream 350
Jay , Oklahoma
Welcome to the forums! Lots of good info here. We use regular old 2x6 treated lumber. I have cut an angle on the ends of them, to make it easier to pull the trailer upon them. I have even screwed them together, one on top of the other, to make a double height leveler. I also carry a few 1x6 pieces to make the level just right. All totaled, I carry a pair of the "doubles", a pair of the single heights, and a pair of1x6s. I use the spares left over from the leveling to go under the stabilizer jacks, sometimes.

Enjoy your travels!

jdalrymple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 07:15 PM   #12
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
I have two sets of Lynx's levelers. I can put both wheels 4" off the ground when in uneven places. They can also be used to change a tire on a dual axle trailer. I did that last weekend.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 07:17 PM   #13
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
OlyPen , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by wahoonc

Aaron
Mod fight!

I dislike these levelers because they get loaded with dirt that invariabley ends up in your trailer. 2 x 6 wood chunks are easier to clean off, can be burned in an emergency and make acceptable fish cleaning boards.

AirForums Custom Search
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 08:26 PM   #14
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet
Mod fight!

I dislike these levelers because they get loaded with dirt that invariabley ends up in your trailer. 2 x 6 wood chunks are easier to clean off, can be burned in an emergency and make acceptable fish cleaning boards.
The Lynx's leveler store neatly in their case and fit under the bed when we travel. They do not burn. However wooden ramps do not always work, ask Napoleon.

Richard

Old 03-24-2008, 08:44 PM   #15

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by azflycaster
I have two sets of Lynx's levelers. I can put both wheels 4" off the ground when in uneven places. They can also be used to change a tire on a dual axle trailer. I did that last weekend.
I've changed a number of flat tires using the Lnx Levelers. I never needed a jack. I just built a Lynx ramp.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 09:02 PM   #16
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Once your level, lock it down...Save at RV Partscenter - RV Parts and Supply
Old 03-25-2008, 04:49 PM   #17
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Pittsfield , Maine
I use a set of four 2 x 6 boards that nest together via lag bolt mounted 5/8" diameter pegs (4 per board) and matching 3/4" diameter holes in the mating piece below. The four 2 x 6's vary in length to provide for a ramp-like approach, with the shortest 2 x 6 long enough to accomodate both of the axles. I tapered the top end edge of each 2 x 6 to make for a better ramp. Each 2 x 6 is about 8" longer than the one above it. The longest 2 x 6 (---the bottom or "ground" board) has holes - but no pegs. That takes care of the way-out-of-level sites (---common in our state and national parks,) as well as providing more than adequate lift for changing tires when needed. It helps to have a pickup for a TV. For minor adjustments, on well-graded and level sites, I use a set of one dozen 3/8" thick 10" x 12" poly cutting boards that I bought at Wal*Mart for about $1.59/each. By slightly shifting the AS forward or back - and sometimes from side to side - I can usually get within range of the stacked poly cutting boards. If I'm going to be parked for several days - and I didn't use all of the poly boards - I'll normally place one under each outrigger and the tongue jack. These poly boards are as tough as nails and handle the AS loads withour any problem - even on soft ground. I store them in a canvas bag.

2003 GMC 3500 D/A, CC, LB, 4x4 and 2000 Airstream Excella 30. WBCCI 7074
Cracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 05:19 PM   #18
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet
Mod fight!

HAH! Ever read the MSDS for treated wood...prior to burning it

I usually camp with hookups so rinsing off the Lynx Levelers is no big deal, besides they come with a cool little bag to store them in (and if SOMEONE remembers to zip it up, the dirt stays inside )

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 05:39 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2008 27' Safari FB SE
Cumberland , RI
Quote:
Originally Posted by azflycaster
I bought one set for our new Safari, do you think I need two sets???
WBCCI #1199 - AIR #23847
NEU
LIFE IS GOOD
RIstream'n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 05:46 PM   #20
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by RIstream'n
I bought one set for our new Safari, do you think I need two sets???
Set them up next to the wheels and see how many blocks you need to raise the trailer a few inches. We had one set and needed to go up about 4 inches. We could only raise one wheel and the other was just hanging. We bought another set right after that.

Richard