Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-26-2003, 01:39 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2002 25' Classic
Oro Valley , Arizona
"Lego" leveling blocks--bad experience!

I guess I shall be making myself some wood leveling boards because for some reason the "lego" yellow leveling blocks I got at Camping World are breaking up.

Any other suggestions for leveling? I liked the idea of the plastic blocks--neater and easier to store BUT it is going to be like my sewer hose experience a new one every trip of at least 3,000 miles.

2002 Classic 25'
2003 Expedition EB 5.4L, AWD, AdvanceTrac Class IV hitch pkg. Reese dual cam/Prodigy
Kistler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2003, 01:53 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1975 29' Ambassador
Reno , Nevada
contact Camping World of the block's manufacturer for warranty replacement. They should last longer than you.

for some resources and ideas about leveling, see
http://sierranevadaairstreams.org/ow.../leveling.html
bryanl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2003, 03:17 PM   #3
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
Legos

You can break them if you use them on rocks or very uneven ground. They are a rigid plastic and will obviously break if flexed too far. I make an effort to insure that they lay reasonably flat before putting weight on them.

I have an area by my driveway where I have hauled all the small stones from my yard to make a place to park my truck. So far, I have broken 2 of the orange Lego-type blocks by placing them where they span a void. I have never broken a block at a campsite and I have been using first the yellow blocks and now the newer orange blocks since they came on the market.

Worst thing that happened to me with them was driving off and leaving a pile of blocks on the roadside after I had blown a tire on my old SOB. I thought about them about 10 miles down the road.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2003, 05:10 AM   #4
4 Rivet Member

2001 30' Excella
Bedford , New Hampshire
leveling blocks

I make my own leveling blocks. The first set I made almost ten years ago, and as I loose them (forget them) I just replace them with new ones.

I make them from 1/2 cdx. I glue the cdx together with exterior glue and make them two or three layers thick. I use wood screws to keep the layers tight while the glue sets. Then I remove the screws. I then cut them to the finished size on the table saw. I find that blocks in sizes of an inch to an inch and a half are the easiest to use in leveling the trailer.

My current blocks are about 12 inches wide and about 18 inches long. They fit on edge in the storage box located in the A frame of my trailer directly behind the gas bottles.

Because they are made of inexpensive material, I don't mind them getting wet, dirty, or they just can't seem to find their way home.

Thanks for the reminder, I have to make some more.
Old 08-27-2003, 07:08 AM   #5
Silver Condo III

2015 30' International
Saskatoon , Saskatchewan
Pardon the ignorance, but what is CDX?

Malcolm
kamadeca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2003, 07:23 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

Malcolm,

Not that I am an expert on wood but CDX is construction grade plywood. The C and D are grades of veneers, core and back used and the X signifies exterior grade using exterior grade glues.
54FlyingCloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2003, 08:03 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2002 25' Classic
Oro Valley , Arizona
I guess you use the plywood because it is lighter??? In the past I have cut up a 2 X 10 and bevel the edges. Any suggestions on (other than plywood) on what to use as a "light" weight wood....

Our Home Depot really has a beautiful selection . You can't find a straight one but that doesn't matter I guess.....they all seem to be water soaked/heavy.

Kistler
Kistler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2003, 05:05 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

Leveling blocks

I carry a few 2x6's with beveled ends (cut about 15 inches long) and a few sections of 1x4. The 2x6's do most of the leveling and the 1x4's are for final adjustments.
alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2003, 05:37 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
We have started using a BAL Tire Leveler and find it works very well for a single axle trailer. You just park where you want to be, place the leveler then adjust it to level the trailer side-to-side. Here's a link

Shari
Attached Images

InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2003, 05:42 AM   #10
2 Rivet Member

We lucked out and bought the old groovy alumin. ramp levelers from an old airstream hand selling out. Watch at the Unit/International flea markets. They are Fabulous. Plus you have that collector thing going on.
chris&mareinmn
cmgirdwood is offline   Reply With Quote