Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-19-2009, 09:35 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1992 21' Sovereign
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Jacked up Airstream for new tires

Today my Airstream got 5 new Maxxis M8008 tires at Discount Tire here in Albuquerque. Last night, I scoured this section to be sure I knew how to jack up the trailer safely. I couldn't find the Jack Points (as described in the owner's manual), nor could the manager at DT. We used the axle mounting beam as seen in other posts here on the forum. It didn't take the fellows at DT long to take off the original Marathons, only 18 years old, and put on the new Maxxis. I think we did it correctly.

Oh yes, the AS now rolls happily behind the truck.

Thought I'd include photos here.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	NewTires1.jpg
Views:	191
Size:	23.1 KB
ID:	85733   Click image for larger version

Name:	NewTires2.jpg
Views:	206
Size:	17.6 KB
ID:	85734  

barbara4rb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 10:05 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
That looks exactly right!

Labeled jack points fore and aft along the frame are for stabilizers only. Wish I could find the pic somebody posted of a jack punctured through their belly wrap when they tried to use one of the labeled jack points. The fact that these labels usually are lost is the only thing that saves a lot of folks the anguish...

The only place to jack is the steel frame supporting the axles. On multi-axle trailers you can run one wheel up on a ramp and change the other. I always carry one ramp -- looks odd in the back of my pickup but it will keep me from having to stabilize a bottle jack at a roadside -- unless I hit a road hazard and flatten two tires at a time.

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 12:01 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1978 28' Ambassador
Morada , California
When I had new tires installed, I took both my ramps with me...put both ramps in front of the fwd tire - pulled forward till the rear tires were off the ground and let them have at it...then put the ramps behind the newly installed tires and backed up till the fronts were off the ground so they could change them...

easy, and I didn't have to worry about some yahoo mechanic punching a hole through my water tank with a miss placed floor jack!!!!

I carry a short piece of 4x6 lumber for emergency tire 'lifting' situations...why screw with a jack when you don't have too....
Old 08-20-2009, 05:04 AM   #4

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
I use Lynx Levelers for the same purpose. I've used them several times for flats on Lucy. They are easy to carry and are multipurpose.

Brian
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN4100.JPG
Views:	207
Size:	193.3 KB
ID:	85745  
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 07:25 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
Trotwood , Ohio
Send a message via Yahoo to Mikethefixit
OH MY
Looks like you ran over that guy when you backed up on the Lynx blocks Brian. Just kiddin. I also carry enough lumber I could pull an axle if I have too.
In fact that's how I changed my axles with the procedure indicated by a previous post. Just pulled each axle in turn and went too it. I just kept the TV hooked up. Never had to worry about the trailer being stable. I use that lumber under the stabilizers and tongue jack when camping on asphalt or sod,so as not to put divets in the sod if its soft or in the asphalt if its hot.
Roger
7.3 liter Power Stroke Diesel
1977 27ft OVERLANDER
KA8LMQ
AIR # 22336 TAC- OH-7
May your roads be straight and smooth and may you always have a tailwind!
Mikethefixit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 10:10 AM   #6
1 Rivet Member

1980 31' Excella II
Hartsville , South Carolina
I like the lynx leveler idea. I already have two sets of those. I was carrying one of those big black ramps as well. I guess I can leave my ramp at home now. Thanks.
scarecrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 10:23 AM   #7
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
I have some 2x10 scraps for raising the wheels and have used them when I've have wheels removed, Centramatics installed or when I've repacked the bearings. I beveled one end of each scrap. If 2 2x10's won't lift it high enough, using the power jack can raise or lower the trailer enough to bring the tires up higher. I do have one set of the legos-style blocks, but wood scraps do both sides and last a lot longer than the legos. We use the legos at campsites that are off only 1 or 2".

As for the jacking points, I recall a thread with extended and inconclusive discussion about that. My trailer has 4 spots underneath designated by plates which say they are jacking points. They are towards the ends of the trailer. This is separate from the stabilizers. My owner's manual, which is in the trailer and I'm not, if I am correct, says to jack the trailer there, not between the wheels. I've had no need to jack the trailer either place with a bottle jack and don't want to since my gut says to avoid all those places and use 2x10's. I may have to jack the trailer if I have two flats on the same side, but that's unlikely and would cause me existential agony.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 11:18 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by moosetags View Post
I use Lynx Levelers for the same purpose. I've used them several times for flats on Lucy. They are easy to carry and are multipurpose.

Brian
Brian, I love my Lynx, but let me HEARTILY recommend you add the CHOCKS too. The Lynx chocks, unlike the cheapo Wal-mart yellow ones that a wheelbarrow can squash flat will ABSOLUTELY STOP your wheels from moving. When I pulled a tire this weekend, I ran the tire up on the stack, stopped it with one chock behind the tire, then added a chock in front of the tire - as well as using the brakes on the tow vehicle - before I took off the other tire. (Why do I end up having to do these things in 99 degree weather? )

Once I had the new tire on, I removed the front chock and drove down off the stack.

Paula
Old 08-20-2009, 11:54 AM   #9

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Paula,

When I run Lucy up on the Lynx Levelers to get a wheel off the ground, I leave it hooked to the TV, so it isn't going anywhere. When Lucy it being side-to-side leveled with the Lynx Levelers, I use the between the tires chocks.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 03:57 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Classic
N/A , Texas
Brian,
Your post hit me on the funny side. I now realize you call your trailer Lucy, but for a moment I had pictured you running a fat lady up on the levelers to help get a wheel off the ground. Thanks for the thought image and chuckle!
Bluto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 04:33 PM   #11
5T5
2 Rivet Member

2004 28' Classic
2006 22' International CCD
Saskatoon , Saskatchewan
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanoeStream View Post
That looks exactly right!

Labeled jack points fore and aft along the frame are for stabilizers only. Wish I could find the pic somebody posted of a jack punctured through their belly wrap when they tried to use one of the labeled jack points. The fact that these labels usually are lost is the only thing that saves a lot of folks the anguish...

The only place to jack is the steel frame supporting the axles. On multi-axle trailers you can run one wheel up on a ramp and change the other. I always carry one ramp -- looks odd in the back of my pickup but it will keep me from having to stabilize a bottle jack at a roadside -- unless I hit a road hazard and flatten two tires at a time.
Hey Bob,
I was wondering why the labeled jack points are not meant for jacking? When I had a tire go bad I used the designated jack point (only one on each side) and thought that it was rather far back but kept telling my friend "this is where they say to jack" although he heartily disagreed! We got the job done but the jacking instructions did not seem right.
Kim
5T5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 11:34 AM   #12
tpi
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Trabuco Canyon , California
I jacked my 25 using axle mounting plate as shown in the first post. I used a bottle jack with no blocks or other padding. At least on flat paved ground it was very easy job that took less than 2 minutes to raise tires. I saw no deformation of the mounting plate, heard no noises as it lifted, and door opened/closed easily when lifted. There was nothing which would make me avoid this procedure in the future.
tpi is offline   Reply With Quote