Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-07-2010, 09:02 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1977 31' Excella 500
West Sacramento , California
Perplexing Leak in Rear Bath

Had my trailer in the rain for the first time in a few years and was shocked to see water coming in through the joint where the bathtub meets the upper panel that has a ledge to sit while bathing. I have a 77 rear bath and the bathroom has a 1 piece plastic shell with no seams. My guess is that water is running down the backside of the plastic shell and into the tub. The water was a little discolored. I have the plumbing disconnected and water pump off so I know it is not a plumbing problem.

The only thing that I can logically think of is the factory exhaust fan, which sits at the top of the end cap. I took off the inside cover and didn't detect any moisture. I caulked around the exterior of the circular exhaust vent cap and the screen covering the hole looks good.

Anybody else have a similar leak?
4RXLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 03:10 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Loganville , Georgia
The leak can come from anywhere. Check the air conditioner. See if the bolts holding the air conditioner are cranked down. You might have a bad gasket between the air and the trailer.

Brian
Old 11-08-2010, 05:16 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1981 31' Excella II
Midlothian , Virginia
Check the caulking on all of your roof vents and other openings on the top of your trailer. In my case water would enter from the front ceiling vent and 'run' the interior ceiling/wall seam to the rear bath and drip from the electric recepticle above the sink counter. Leaks are so much fun!! I now inspect and reseal everyother year just to avoid surprises during a trip. Don't forget to use the grey/silver caulking material recommended for aluminum, it is able to 'move' with the aluminum as it reacts to heat/cool cycles.

Good luck!
Retired & Having Fun
toadtogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 06:07 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1977 Argosy 24
Currently Looking...
Milltown , Wisconsin
Like Andy says check the plumbing roof vent gaskets.
ventport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 06:29 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
One thing which has helped me in diagnosing leaks is to change the tilt of the trailer and see where the drips go under different states of level. For example, if the a/c is leaking to the rear wall, drop the tongue all the way down and see if the leak remains in the rear bath. With the A/C lower, the water will not run uphill to the rear end. A/C eliminated. This could be a lengthy post...
I hope you get my drift. You can eliminate some disassembly by methodically eliminating roof mounted items this way. Water will run all over the place, but it doesn't defy gravity, usually. (It can wick uphill, but that's pretty far down the probability list.)
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote