Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-08-2005, 05:24 AM   #21
Rivet Master

Massachusetts
Send a message via Yahoo to yukionna
Quote:
Originally Posted by balrgn
Finally had a chance to replace a couple window gaskets. Stripped off the old rubber, scraped as much as I could with a SS Scraper.
Used Por Srtip loosen up resdual adhesive and rubber. Worked great, very little to wire brush!
15 minutes for each of the smaller windows.
I followed your link above and it doesn't go to the right location. Is the product you are referring to :

POR-STRIP® - Remover / Stripper
POR-STRIP ® Paint Remover/Stripper is a clear spray-on remover with the consistency of water. In sample testing, our POR-STRIP ® was the choice of professional auto strippers. A special chemical-resistant spray bottle allows you to use less and finish faster than brushing. Remove any coating from any surface without damaging window glass, chrome, or weatherstrip. POR-STRIP ® is non acidic and will not harm aluminum or factory fiberglass.

Attitude is the only difference between ordeal and adventure
yukionna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2005, 07:29 AM   #22
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
I'm with Tim. Four windows went on like a charm. The back window was quite difficult to get off -- had to do the full wide open trick and it still didn't come easily. It nearly became stuck in that position and the hinge probably would have become deformed if I'd let go of it.

Getting it back on was ferocious! Susie & I put two good failing efforts into the job until it finally worked the third time -- and only from applying subtleties of what almost worked before. Yup, the middle was the bug-a-bear (Woo-hoo! No b** asterisks!)

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2005, 10:14 AM   #23
Rivet Master

1974 27' Overlander
1954 26' Romany Cruiser
1960 26' Overlander
Rockingham County , New Hampshire
Send a message via AIM to balrgn Send a message via Yahoo to balrgn
Quote:
Originally Posted by yukionna
I followed your link above and it doesn't go to the right location. Is the product you are referring to :

POR-STRIP ® Paint Remover/Stripper is a clear spray-on remover with the consistency of water. In sample testing, our POR-STRIP ® was the choice of professional auto strippers. A special chemical-resistant spray bottle allows you to use less and finish faster than brushing. Remove any coating from any surface without damaging window glass, chrome, or weatherstrip. POR-STRIP ® is non acidic and will not harm aluminum or factory fiberglass.
Yes, that's the stuff!
'60 Overlander (Hoagy)
2007 GMC Sierra 2500 HD Duramax
WBCCI 1754 - AIR # 6281
www.balrgn.com
balrgn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2005, 05:08 PM   #24
2 Rivet Member

1977 27' Overlander
Huntsville , Alabama
Send a message via Yahoo to dustyrhodes
Window and door gaskets

I spent the weekend stripping the vinyl off of my door and noticed that the door gasket is worn and missing in places on the bottom of the door. I am far from waterproof at this point. Is the process the same for replacing the gasket on the door and can this also be obtained from Oasis RV. I am curious about the posting from SafeHarbour - should I not be using a wire brush on my aluminum parts or is it just a steel wire brush that I should avoid? I plan to tackle the gaskets weekend after next.

Thanks!
Jennifer
dustyrhodes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2005, 05:17 PM   #25
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Dustyrhodes

Jennifer.

The easist way to remove all the old gasket, is to pull off what you can.

Then put a wire wheel in an electric drill and burnish off the remaining part of the gasket. That will take about two minutes per window and 3 to 4 minutes for the entance door.

That leaves a nice clean finish for the adhesive to bond to, even better than the original metal, in that the metal will now not be smooth, giving the adhesive even greater holding power.

And the best thing, is you have not subjected yourself to any chemicals, let alone harsh types.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2005, 05:21 PM   #26
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
Wire wheel?

Would you use a steel wire wheel? I have heard others say to use brass.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2005, 05:25 PM   #27
Rivet Master

1974 27' Overlander
1954 26' Romany Cruiser
1960 26' Overlander
Quote:
Originally Posted by azflycaster
Would you use a steel wire wheel? I have heard others say to use brass.
Trouble is with brass on a drill the wire tends to fly out. So I like to use Stainless steel (ahd safety glasses)
I tried the "wire wheel" method, the adhesive all but laughed at me, only heated it up and spread it around making it worse. Think outside the box........
After the second aplication of Por Strip, I use a hand held Stainless Steel tooth brush. 99 - 100% clean
'60 Overlander (Hoagy)
WBCCI 1754 - AIR # 6281
www.balrgn.com
Old 10-10-2005, 05:30 PM   #28
Rivet Master

1974 27' Overlander
1954 26' Romany Cruiser
1960 26' Overlander
Quote:
Originally Posted by dustyrhodes
I spent the weekend stripping the vinyl off of my door and noticed that the door gasket is worn and missing in places on the bottom of the door. I am far from waterproof at this point. Is the process the same for replacing the gasket on the door and can this also be obtained from Oasis RV. I am curious about the posting from SafeHarbour - should I not be using a wire brush on my aluminum parts or is it just a steel wire brush that I should avoid? I plan to tackle the gaskets weekend after next.

Thanks!
Jennifer
Do not remember if I got my door gasket form Oasis, worth a try, I have not yet replaced that one. I will use the same technique. Avoid using carbon steel brushed on aluminum at all Brass does not hold up well. I like Stainless for most anything I do. You should use something like 3m Super weather adhesive to help the bonding.
'60 Overlander (Hoagy)
WBCCI 1754 - AIR # 6281
www.balrgn.com
Old 10-10-2005, 05:39 PM   #29
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Gasket removal.

Chemicals, of any kind, are not needed.

You can use most any type of wire wheel, that your comfortable with.

Brass, steel, stainless steel, all the same. Makes no difference to the aluminum.

After burnishing, you should wipe the aluminum off to make sure it's grease proof. Any traces of another metal then become nil.

I have used this method for 40 years. It's never caused a problem.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2005, 05:41 PM   #30
Remember Burma Shave!

2006 19' Safari
2000 25' Safari
1985 25' Sovereign
Fort Myers , SW.Florida
Rivet Wire brush material ...

You can use either material, that's up to you!

The brass wires will not be as efficient and surely more expensive.
The steel wires will be more efficient and can be found in many more levels of stiffness.

Each will shed pieces of the wire when in use. The small pieces of steel will rust and contaminate whatever they rust on, when exposed to moisture.

Using steel on a waterborne yacht is a huge No-No because the particles get on the teak wood or paint and leave rust marks, particularily around salt water. In an aluminum yacht they can even cause electrolytic deterioration to the aluminum hull.

I don't think you will have any problems using the steel around your airstream, just clean up afterwards. I have never encountered problems using steel wire wheels around my Airstreams.

And, you can always go to stainless steel, if you just have to have numerous choices. As the Nike logo states "Just Do It!"

Balrgn's technique sounds like a good one! A welders brush is a great tool to have around.
NORM #3305

"... there is nothing you can't fix yourself ...
... if you're handy ...
... with a check book! ..."
driftwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2005, 01:10 PM   #31
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Huntsville , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by balrgn
Posted a new page, if anyone is intersted in the disassembly / assembly...
I too have just posted a new page on replacing the window seals on my 1967 Overlander.

Tom
TomW is offline   Reply With Quote