Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-26-2019, 09:46 AM   #1
Rivet Master

1979 31' Sovereign
Milford , Ohio
Flashing the body at the hitch

I have the belly skin off from the hitch back to the wheels in order to repair some rusted outriggers and clean / repaint the frame.

Although there isn't any serious frame damage, there is a lot of rust as well as some underside sub floor water damage from where water capillaries back on the hitch and underneath the body.

I've heard of people somehow flashing banana wraps at the A-frame but never seen any detailed photos of how they did it. Please post any pics or maybe a link to a detailed thread.

Thanks in advance.

Its a camper, therefore it leaks.
blickcd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 10:37 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1979 31' Sovereign
Milford , Ohio
All repairs have been made, wraps and belly pan reinstalled. Looking at the trailer you would never know I did anything, aside form painting the hitch.

So now I want to seal the area where the hitch penetrates the wrap, and I've had no suggestions so I want to revive the topic and see if I get anything useful.

There were some plastic trim pieces, L-shaped cross section, bent in a U-shape (with square corners) that dropped over the hitch frame, snugged up against the shell and were pop riveted in place. One is mostly intact, the second is broken with a large piece missing. I have contacted Airstream for parts and this piece is no longer available.

Right now I am considering trying to repair the broken piece, splicing in some new plastic with solvent glue or plastic welding, then before installing, coating the backside of the flange with vulkum.

Still looking for suggestions...

BTW, the exposing of the frame, making minor repairs, painting, replacing insulation, etc, it was no fun at all. However, I did the rear section several years ago so I had a good idea of what I was getting into. Like the rear section, I am glad I got in there when I did. This type of project, when done properly is likely a once in a lifetime job.

Its a camper, therefore it leaks.
blickcd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 08:18 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1977 Argosy 28
2000 28' Excella
Michigan City , Indiana
Flashing at the Hitch

I think your best bet here is caulk. Any flashing will help make the gap smaller but the final step will need to be a sealant. Keep in mind that water will be blasting up against this at highway speed. It is almost impossible to keep water out completely. Sometime the better question is how to get the water out that got in, in spite of all of your efforts?
Buck Rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 09:07 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Sunset Valley , Texas
https://www.vintagetrailersupply.com...p/vts-2141.htm

VTS has them listed but not in stock. If you sign up for "email me when in stock" they should actually move towards getting more...

I just signed up for them as I'll need them eventually...

Ian
Iansk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 10:22 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1973 21' Globetrotter
Houston , Texas
When I took my trailer apart, and removed those original, plastic "closeouts," as I blieve they are often termed, I found that the frame rails underneath were dramatically pitted and corroded due to the water that got trapped between the plastic and the frame rail. Will probably just goop some vulkem into the cracks rather than replacing the trim pieces.

good luck!
Belegedhel is offline   Reply With Quote