Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-31-2003, 10:40 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1966 20' Globetrotter
, California
Unhappy Door, window and roof seals

I've got a '66 Globetrotter that has rotten seals around the door and most of the windows, and I seem to have some leaks from both of the roof vents too. What are the best sources for replacement seals/gaskets, and is there any advice for a person who's less than a handyman?

thanks, Tom B.
bentguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2003, 11:11 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Huntsville , Alabama
Andy must be asleep..

Welcome to the forum!

Inlandrv.com is an excellent place to start.
TomW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2004, 08:24 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1970 25' Tradewind
Cincinnati , Ohio
I asked that same question a short time ago. Check out this link. Following Andy's advice, my 14 year old daughter and I successfully replaced the door gasket and all the window gaskets. My father, who is a professional body man, was pretty impressed with the job we did!

http://www.airforums.com/forum...et+replacement

I also want to add, the removal of the old gaskets can be somewhat time consuming. Purchase some "gasket remover" from any auto parts store. We found that using a small putty knife and a straight edge razor gasket remover work best. First, strip off all the old gasket that you can by hand. We then made slits in the gasket remaining on the window frame with the razor knife. Saturate the old gasket with the gasket remover and let it sit for a while to soften the old gasket and glue. Then carefully using the putty knife and razor knife, scrape the remaining gasket and glue from the window. Take care not to scrape or gash the aluminum frame. Clean thoroughly before installing the new gaskets.
Herm and Debby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2004, 11:59 AM   #4
1 Rivet Member

1966 20' Globetrotter
, California
Herm and Debby, thanks for the link with the whole replacement process spelled out (and thanks to Andy from Inland for filling in the blanks). Perhaps even a handyman-challenged creature like me can manage the procedures.

Looking forward to a dry Globetrotter, Tom B.
Old 01-05-2004, 11:28 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

It sounds like we all have the same problem. LEAKS . However, I noticed on my 85 AS that there are also leaks from the windows glass gaskets. Those gray ruber looking gaskets which are holding the single pane windows in place. Somehow, water goes through. Is there any remedy for this kind of leak? Of course I have the other kinds too. Is there any way to fix the leaks short of taking all the rivets out and replace all the gaskets?
thanks
Old 01-05-2004, 01:08 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

There are automotive windshield sealers that might do the job. I used them on my Blakely Kit Car. If I remember right, these are a very fluid silicon type sealer.
Old 01-05-2004, 01:53 PM   #7
1 Rivet Member

1966 20' Globetrotter
, California
A salesperson at InlandRV indicated that there's a sealant that works on the roof vents (in addition to, as well as replacing the seals) and it sounded like it might work for those fixed windows as well. Check 'em out at inlandrv.com and give them a call
Old 01-05-2004, 07:03 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2005 28' International CCD
Pagosa Springs , Colorado
leaks

I replaced the vent gaskets and covers to stop window leaks on my '67 Tradewind and still had them. Just last week someone suggested putting duct tape across the top of the leaking windows to see if that stopped it. I used the blue 3M painters tape so it would come off without residue and when it rained I had no leaks so I know it is indeed the window. Inland suggested squirting silicone into the top of the window hinge at various angles and I'll try that. My window gaskets seem soft still and I hate the idea of pulling the windows.

Tin Hut is offline   Reply With Quote