Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-01-2009, 06:24 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1976 31' Sovereign
Moncks Corner , South Carolina
Door leaks

The top of my door is leaking. I have replaced the seal but with a light mist of the water hose on the outside, it is still leaking water. The leak is bad to. I cannot see any light coming from the area but for some reason it just is not holding the water out. Does anyone have any ideas for fixing this?
Norm1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 08:45 PM   #2
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm1234 View Post
The top of my door is leaking. I have replaced the seal but with a light mist of the water hose on the outside, it is still leaking water. The leak is bad to. I cannot see any light coming from the area but for some reason it just is not holding the water out. Does anyone have any ideas for fixing this?
Close the door on a new dollar bill that's placed at the top.

Slide it back and forth. When you hit a point of little to no resistance, that area should be the leak.

Also, it almost sounds like the door frame may be warped a bit, at the top.

Look for a stretch mark or a break in the door frame, where the lock striker bolt is at.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 08:52 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1976 31' Sovereign
Ok, I just got a chance to check out the door closer. The door and the frame are in good shape. However the top of the door does not seal very well. The bottem fits snug but the top is kind of lose. I look for adjustments but did not find any, are there any kinds of shims I can put in the top hang to make it seal better?
Old 10-07-2009, 10:10 PM   #4
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm1234 View Post
Ok, I just got a chance to check out the door closer. The door and the frame are in good shape. However the top of the door does not seal very well. The bottem fits snug but the top is kind of lose. I look for adjustments but did not find any, are there any kinds of shims I can put in the top hang to make it seal better?
If the door at the top is not sealing correctly, that says that the door frame is bent.

The door sheet metal should exactly match the side sheet metal, like it was one piece.

Place a ruler parallel to the ground, near the top of the door, at one side and then the other side. Does it touch the window sheet? If not, then the door frame is warped.

If it does touch the side sheet, then there is a probglem with the gasket.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 06:34 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1976 31' Sovereign
Ok Andy your right, kinda. The hinge side is flush but the latch side is not sealing all the way. Thanks for the help. I will be calling you soon for a new keeper and some other stuff I have been needing. The keeper and the striker looks to be worn out.