Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-05-2003, 06:29 AM   #1
Rivet Master

1979 30' Argosy
Havelock , where we park it
Question Caulking above blue molding ?

We are getting ready to put the blue molding in we got from Andy. Just came back from our first Rally , it was mentioned to us to caulk above the insert lines for both. After checking the trailer , see that there is some caulking there but very dried out . Is this where we use the Vulkem? Thank you .. This forum has helped us out greatly with our Airstream.
Happycampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2003, 03:00 PM   #2
Obsessed with Moonunit

1978 Argosy Minuet 6.7 Metre
Love It Here , Colorado
Hi - I haven't seen any caulk used where our molding is. Of course, ours is very deteriorated with just pieces of original vinyl insert still in place and the whole thing painted over by PO. We understood from another post here that the vinyl insert slides into the track (the edge of the track help hold it) and you must rivet thru the end caps of the track and insert both to hold it in place. Andy was the one who posted this info. You might just check with him for further details. Hope this helps. Leigh
COArgosy78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2003, 03:46 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

1972 31' Sovereign
, Ohio
The sealant used above the beltline then was ten-x. You can purchase the current sealant from Parkview in Smyrna De. it is called Acryl-R it is made by Schnee-Moorhead (SP?). People use other things but this is gray-silver with metalic flake and blends in really well.
Old 08-08-2003, 04:16 PM   #4
Airstream Driver

1994 30' Excella
1992 35' Airstream 350
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally posted by JPAIRSTREAM
The sealant used above the beltline then was ten-x. You can purchase the current sealant form Parkview in Smyrna De. it is called Acryl-R it is maid by Schnee-Moorhead (SP?). People use other things but this is gray-silver with metalic flake and blends in really well.
Thank you JP for the input!
I really feel bad about people being forcefully directed to use Vulkem 616 or else...
AIR #13
PeterH-350LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2003, 08:15 AM   #5
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Correct sealers

Different areas of the trailer or motorhome, require different sealers.

Vulkem is used where strength is required. Use it for large seams, such as above the windows, around the ceiling vents, above the door, wheel well area, and where the chassis enters the shell. It is also used between the seams when replacing sheet metal as well as around the shank and behind the head of Olympic rivets before inserting them in the hole. It is also used on the bottom side of the Airconditioner pans, and sewer vent pipe covers, TV antennas, radio antennas, and with any installation of other items on the roof.

Parbond is used on the sides of windows, around the top and sides of clearance lights (never the bottom), sheet metal seams and at the top edge of moldings (for cosmetic purposes). It can also be used between the metal frame and glass, on the 68 and older trailers.

Sikoflex, generally speaking is used on the back side of the exterior metal, during production or major body work.

Silicone sealers must "NEVER" be used on the exterior. It can be used in the interior in the bathroom, or galley area.

TenX, was a sealer used some 30 to 35 years ago. It was OK then, but if it was exposed to a hot sun, it would dry out, shrink, curl up, and turn black. It usually fell off in a couple of years or so.
It, like many other things, is a part on RV history of many years ago.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2003, 09:38 AM   #6
Obsessed with Moonunit

1978 Argosy Minuet 6.7 Metre
Love It Here , Colorado
????

So now I'm confused?? Do or do not use a sealant/caulk when installing the vinyl molding> and if yes, what exactly? I thought the lip of the metal railing, plus the rivets thru the end caps on the railing was enough. Enlightenment is needed, please. Leigh
COArgosy78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2003, 10:22 AM   #7
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Method for vinyl insert

No sealer is necessary when replacing the vinyl insert, except at the ends where the pop rivets are used.

Andy
Old 08-09-2003, 12:11 PM   #8
BDBLUEGRASS

1975 31' Sovereign
HEBER SPRINGS , Arkansas
SILICONE SEALER

ANDY

WHAT DOES SILICONE DO TO THE EXTERIOR OF THE SKIN FOR IT NEVER TO BE USED?

THANKS

BILLY
bdbluegrass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2003, 02:23 PM   #9
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
NEVER USE SILICONE ON THE EXTERIOR.

Why?

It looks great when you put it on and it stops the leak, maybe!!!

The dirt in the air that we breathe sticks to it making it turn black or brown, or just plain yuck!!!!

The sun attacks it and it then comes loose.

The water leak reappears.

NOW, no sealer will stick to the silicone traces.

You must scrape the metal to remove the traces of silicone.

Now, you can use vulkem or parbond as should have been done in the first place.

Ask anyone, repeat anyone, thats been there and done that.

Andy
Old 08-09-2003, 02:57 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member

1972 31' Sovereign
, Ohio
Acryl-R is being used on the seams on the outside of the Trailers during construction at the plant.

Par-bond however is being sold in the field for this because acryl-r is hard to get over the counter.
Old 08-09-2003, 03:21 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

1970 25' Tradewind
Cincinnati , Ohio
A Couple Additional Questions...

if someone used silicone to seal around the windows, what is the best way to remove all traces of it?

Where can we find Par-bond for sale? Would any local places carry it? (like auto or home improvement stores or RV dealers)

Thanks for the help!
Herm and Debby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2003, 02:10 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member

Silicone on aluminum is a no no

I have worked on helicopters for 33 years and we stopped using silicone on aluminum along time ago. It is corrosive on aluminum. I use Vulcem and Parbond just as Andy said. This was after removing all the silicone the original owner had used EVERYWHERE. I used spray electrical contact cleaner and a brass tooth brush to clean off everything. I had made an aluminum scraper to slowly cut the silicone off. The small brass tooth brush won't scratch the aluminum. I got my Parbond from a local RV center. They had clear and silver. $3.95 a tube.

Dave Spann, Lake Charles, La.
davespann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2003, 07:34 PM   #13
Rivet Master

"Parbond is used on the sides of windows, around the top and sides of clearance lights (never the bottom)"

This may confuse someone, so I thought I would elaborate. Parbond is very fluid. You can force it up into the bottom of a seam, but it will run back out. Even if it does not run out entirely, it will leave gaps where water can enter.

Now, with respect to clearance lights, you may want to leave the bottom free of any kind of sealant to allow any moisture that gets in a place to come out. Perhaps Andy or someone could correct me here if I am mistaken.

Mark
j54mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2003, 07:19 AM   #14
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Mark.

Your correct.

Andy
Old 03-21-2004, 08:24 AM   #15
Rivet Master

Acryl-R

I see at Airstream.com that the "official seam sealer for Airstream trailers" is now Acryl-R. See this linkAcryl-R
I presume this is to do small seams, where I currently use Parbond. I find Parbond a little awkward for making a pretty job, as it's in a toothpaste-type tube, and it is quite runny. Even with double masking tape, I'm not as pleased with the appearance as with the Vulkem jobs. Has anyone any experience with Acryl-R and its applicator? Nick.
Old 03-21-2004, 10:05 AM   #16
3 Rivet Member

1972 31' Sovereign
, Ohio
Item #28430W
Acryl-R

Official seam sealer for Airstream trailers. 16 ounce can with applicator.

http://www.airstream.com/shop/parts_maintenance.html

If you want what Airstream uses during production this is the real thing. Parbond can be used and Airstream does say it is ok however during production Acryl-R is the real deal..

That is a top to a oil can during tours I have seen such an applicator there.
Old 03-21-2004, 07:27 PM   #17
4 Rivet Member

2003 19' Bambi
Lincoln City , Oregon
Acryl-R

I see this on the airstream site. Has anyone here used it????

I have a mystery leak and need to know.
Old 03-21-2004, 07:32 PM   #18
3 Rivet Member

1972 31' Sovereign
, Ohio
You already have it on your 2003 Bambi. Its above your trims on the outside. Acryl-R (Ten-x is what they used to call it) is gray and has a metalic flake that blends right in...
Old 12-10-2004, 07:49 AM   #19
Rivet Master

I ordered the Acryl-R with the applicator from Airstream.com, and used it last week to re-do the seams above the decorative strips, lights, hatches etc. This totalled about 250 feet of seam-sealing. The "oil-can with trigger "style applicator produces a stream of sealant about one millimeter in width, without requiring masking tape to produce a neat effect. The level of skill required is similar to that required to produce a neat result with a frame gun and a cartridge of caulk. One improvement is that the sealant ceases immediately the trigger is released, whereas frame guns are more difficult to control. I was able to produce a very neat and unobtrusive result, very quickly. Any imperfections I dealt with by using disposable gloves and a delicate wipe with a finger. These seams are too fine for Vulkem, and Parbond would have required laborious masking, as I only have it in toothpaste style tubes. I highly recommend this applicator and sealant. I noticed today that the Airstream.com site is offering the refills, but not the applicator. Perhaps they are temporarily out of stock. Nick.
Old 12-11-2004, 06:03 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1974 27' Overlander
1954 26' Romany Cruiser
1960 26' Overlander
Rockingham County , New Hampshire
Send a message via AIM to balrgn Send a message via Yahoo to balrgn
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by davespann
I have worked on helicopters for 33 years and we stopped using silicone on aluminum along time ago. It is corrosive on aluminum. I use Vulcem and Parbond just as Andy said. This was after removing all the silicone the original owner had used EVERYWHERE. I used spray electrical contact cleaner and a brass tooth brush to clean off everything. I had made an aluminum scraper to slowly cut the silicone off. The small brass tooth brush won't scratch the aluminum. I got my Parbond from a local RV center. They had clear and silver. $3.95 a tube.

Dave Spann, Lake Charles, La.
I am curious, I have leak on the lower band that needs to be sealed. Some rivits have broken free, so I have to remove the rivets and seal and put new rivets.
Has anyone tried Por 15 products? Por Patch?

http://www.por15.com/product.asp?productid=8
balrgn is offline   Reply With Quote