Old 03-21-2004, 09:24 AM   #15
Rivet Master

Acryl-R

I see at Airstream.com that the "official seam sealer for Airstream trailers" is now Acryl-R. See this linkAcryl-R
I presume this is to do small seams, where I currently use Parbond. I find Parbond a little awkward for making a pretty job, as it's in a toothpaste-type tube, and it is quite runny. Even with double masking tape, I'm not as pleased with the appearance as with the Vulkem jobs. Has anyone any experience with Acryl-R and its applicator? Nick.

Old 03-21-2004, 11:05 AM   #16
3 Rivet Member

1972 31' Sovereign
, Ohio
Item #28430W
Acryl-R

Official seam sealer for Airstream trailers. 16 ounce can with applicator.

http://www.airstream.com/shop/parts_maintenance.html

If you want what Airstream uses during production this is the real thing. Parbond can be used and Airstream does say it is ok however during production Acryl-R is the real deal..

That is a top to a oil can during tours I have seen such an applicator there.

Old 03-21-2004, 08:27 PM   #17
4 Rivet Member

2003 19' Bambi
Lincoln City , Oregon
Acryl-R

I see this on the airstream site. Has anyone here used it????

I have a mystery leak and need to know.
Old 03-21-2004, 08:32 PM   #18
3 Rivet Member

1972 31' Sovereign
, Ohio
You already have it on your 2003 Bambi. Its above your trims on the outside. Acryl-R (Ten-x is what they used to call it) is gray and has a metalic flake that blends right in...
Old 12-10-2004, 08:49 AM   #19
Rivet Master

I ordered the Acryl-R with the applicator from Airstream.com, and used it last week to re-do the seams above the decorative strips, lights, hatches etc. This totalled about 250 feet of seam-sealing. The "oil-can with trigger "style applicator produces a stream of sealant about one millimeter in width, without requiring masking tape to produce a neat effect. The level of skill required is similar to that required to produce a neat result with a frame gun and a cartridge of caulk. One improvement is that the sealant ceases immediately the trigger is released, whereas frame guns are more difficult to control. I was able to produce a very neat and unobtrusive result, very quickly. Any imperfections I dealt with by using disposable gloves and a delicate wipe with a finger. These seams are too fine for Vulkem, and Parbond would have required laborious masking, as I only have it in toothpaste style tubes. I highly recommend this applicator and sealant. I noticed today that the Airstream.com site is offering the refills, but not the applicator. Perhaps they are temporarily out of stock. Nick.
Old 12-11-2004, 07:03 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1974 27' Overlander
1954 26' Romany Cruiser
1960 26' Overlander
Rockingham County , New Hampshire
Send a message via AIM to balrgn Send a message via Yahoo to balrgn
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by davespann
I have worked on helicopters for 33 years and we stopped using silicone on aluminum along time ago. It is corrosive on aluminum. I use Vulcem and Parbond just as Andy said. This was after removing all the silicone the original owner had used EVERYWHERE. I used spray electrical contact cleaner and a brass tooth brush to clean off everything. I had made an aluminum scraper to slowly cut the silicone off. The small brass tooth brush won't scratch the aluminum. I got my Parbond from a local RV center. They had clear and silver. $3.95 a tube.

Dave Spann, Lake Charles, La.
I am curious, I have leak on the lower band that needs to be sealed. Some rivits have broken free, so I have to remove the rivets and seal and put new rivets.
Has anyone tried Por 15 products? Por Patch?

http://www.por15.com/product.asp?productid=8