Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-20-2011, 07:05 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1971 23' Safari
Lilburn , Georgia
Anybody tackled this problem?

The exterior gasket around a couple of windows is coming loose. Anybody dealt with this before? Is the exact gasket still available? Can you replace this without taking the glass out of the frame? I'm thinking not...

[/IMG]

bassfiddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 07:30 PM   #2
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by bassfiddler View Post
The exterior gasket around a couple of windows is coming loose. Anybody dealt with this before? Is the exact gasket still available? Can you replace this without taking the glass out of the frame? I'm thinking not...

[/IMG]

That gasket failure is not uncommon.

However, Airstream does not and will not sell that gasket to anyone, not even a dealer.

But, all is not lost.

Purchase some gray Sikoflex.

Clean the gasket, and the area that it touches, the edge of the metal frame and the glass next to the gasket.

Install a small bead of the Sikoflex to completely cover the gasket.

Where the gasket has pulled away, push it back in place, and hold it there with some small pieces of duct tape, leaving gaps between pieces of the tape.

Install some Sikoflex in those gaps. After a couple of days, remove the duct tape, and install some Sikoflex, in the bare areas, where the duct tape was located. That will complete the bead of sealer.

That process is much easier than taking the window frame apart, since getting it back into it's proper shape, is very tricky.

I notice that the inside latching brackets of your windows are getting rusty. That would suggest that the window gaskets are leaking, and if so, should be replaced. A "D" shaped gasket is now available that is far superior than the original window gasket.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 07:48 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1974 31' Excella 500
Charleston , South Carolina
Andy, what would you suggest if you need to take the window apart and put it back together. If one can't get the replacement gasket?
Old 03-20-2011, 08:11 PM   #4
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielB View Post
Andy, what would you suggest if you need to take the window apart and put it back together. If one can't get the replacement gasket?
My first suggestion would be DON'T.

My second suggestion, (to myself) would be to ask 'WHY".

One half of the window hinge rivets would have to be removed. Finding those special small rivets, is not easy.

Next, far more than likely, the hinge will be warped when it's reinstalled. Then, you will really have some fun, and probably invent more 4 letter words, since "darn" is already in the dictionary.

Bottom line, take the easy way out and use the Sikoflex to fix the gasket issue.

Andy
Old 03-20-2011, 08:47 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1974 31' Excella 500
Charleston , South Carolina
Well why is a great question. Believe me it is not something that I want to do, but this is the hand that I have been dealt.. It looks to me like there is no other way except to take it all apart..

The side windows closest to the front are bad.. the sunscreen or whatever is discolored and bubbled really bad in one and in the other one it is disintegrated. There are a couple others that are discolored and bubbled as well.

What is one to do?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Photo 11.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	93.0 KB
ID:	125029   Click image for larger version

Name:	Photo 106.jpg
Views:	204
Size:	74.8 KB
ID:	125030  

Old 03-20-2011, 09:17 PM   #6
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielB View Post
Well why is a great question. Believe me it is not something that I want to do, but this is the hand that I have been dealt.. It looks to me like there is no other way except to take it all apart..

The side windows closest to the front are bad.. the sunscreen or whatever is discolored and bubbled really bad in one and in the other one it is disintegrated. There are a couple others that are discolored and bubbled as well.

What is one to do?
It looks like the left hand photo is backwards.

The double pane window problem, is a different issue.

Look at the sides of those windows. You may see where the 2 halves are held together with some rivets. If that's the case, all you need to do, is remove the interior pane.

Andy
Old 03-21-2011, 05:38 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

1971 23' Safari
Lilburn , Georgia
The gasket doesn't budge when I try to tuck it back in the corner. Perhaps a heat gun at low temp to make it more pliable? What if I cut it, tuck it back in and then re-seal?
bassfiddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 06:54 AM   #8
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by bassfiddler View Post
The gasket doesn't budge when I try to tuck it back in the corner. Perhaps a heat gun at low temp to make it more pliable? What if I cut it, tuck it back in and then re-seal?
NO, to the heat gun.

That confined heat, might shatter the window.

Simply cut off the gasket that won't go back into place.

Then install the bead of sealer, which will hide the missing section of gasket anyway.

Andy